5.0 out of 5 stars Pastafari!
Writing as a dedicated Pastafarian who can quite happily sit down and eat a bowl of pasta with nothing but a few chopped cloves of garlic, shakes of salt and pepper and a glug of olive oil, I think that this book is wonderful.

It is split into soups and salads, meat and poultry, fish and seafood, vegetarian and homemade (as in make the pasta yourself)...
Published on 30 Dec 2011 by Diziet

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price
Published on 8 Mar 2012 by LOTHAR

5.0 out of 5 stars Pastafari!, 30 Dec 2011
Diziet "I Like Toast" (Netherlands) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

There is one recipe per page with the facing page holding a photo of the finished dish.

The recipes themselves go from the utterly simple - 'quickest-ever tomato pasta sauce' (passata, olive oil and garlic, garnish with parmesan) (oh, and a carton of creamed tomatoes at a fraction of the cost works just as well as passata) through to exotica such as 'fusili with swordfish and artichoke', 'garganelli with red mullet and parma ham'. I feel myself coming over all Homer Simpson just thinking about it (hummm...garganelli, hummm...red mullet, hummm...parma ham!) I admit, I had never heard of garganelli before but that's just one of the many joys of pasta.

I've already tried one or two of these, with variations, but leafing through the pages just makes me want to try so many more - 'asparagus and anchovy spaghetti' - oh, when will asparagus be back in season? Macaroni and haddock cheese - a meal to warm your cockles. But if you've got particularly cold cockles, why not start off with 'chunky chickpea and pasta soup'? And when Spring returns, look forward to 'spring garden pasta salad'. I can hardly wait!

Recipes are for four people but the pasta amounts vary from roughly 150 grams up to around 400 grams. Not afraid to use canned tuna, canned artichoke hearts and cans of beans so, along with dried pasta and cartons of creamed tomatoes, you can just about always get something together from the larder (yes, o.k. I don't actually have cans of artichoke hearts in my cupboard but I've got enough ingredients to tackle many other recipes with only minimal excursions to the shops).

All in all, I really like this book and I'm looking forward to not only spicing up some old favourites but trying out some new delicacies. Oh wow! I've just found 'chorizo carbonara'!
:-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal everyday reference, 30 Mar 2012
Cheshire Cat (Warrington, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Cannot fault this very practical , excellent value for money everyday pocket cookbook. This is surely destined to become a mini kitchen bible for hard pressed cooks from novices through to working families looking for a little easily achieved inspiration to introduce some variety to the humble pasta dishes.

A bargain and highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars It does exactly what it says in the blurb, 1 Jan 2012
Michael Watson "skirrow22" (Halifax, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Of course, I haven't had time to try out even a small percentage of these recipes. Given what I know about pasta, it seems pretty certain that anyone can prepare most of these recipes and finish up with a quick, easy and tasty meal. That suits me just fine.

Interestingly, I didn't know that Spag Bol is not really how Italians would genuinely make such a dish, spaghetti being too thin to take on the sauce adequately. So a leap of faith is now required to use penne or fusilli, though, on reflection, perhaps not as I have been doing this for years, unwittingly becoming a pseudo Italian, it seems. Che mi si adatta molto bene!!

Though this is a Vine offer, I think the price of a fiver is brilliant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great 'Big' Little Book of Pasta Dishes!, 22 Dec 2011
Crafty Marie "mariej30" (Cambs) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
When I say a great 'Big' little book I mean it's actually a small book in size - I was disappointed by the small shelf size of it. However it is huge in terms of what is inside the book and it has 200 great recipe suggestions for pasta.

Pasta is something we love to eat but are not sure what to do with other than add tomato sauce. This book has some brilliant suggestions. Enough different variations to keep us going for a long time.

I also liked the fact that there are some very good vegetarian options as we have a vegetarian in the family so this is great. I don't need to ever but another pasta book again after this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very tasty dishes, 30 Nov 2011
Benjamin (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Following a brief introduction which discusses fresh pasta versus dried, looks at sauces, making pasta, and considers equipment and ingredients, this compact little book gets straight down to business. The recipes are presented one to a double page spread with the details on one page and a full page colour photograph of the completed dish on the other.

The range of dishes included: soups and salads, meat and poultry, fish and seafood, vegetarian, and homemade (pasta).

When first browsing through this book it may not seem very impressive, the photographed dishes have a certain sameness of appearance about them, I did wonder if these recipes were just ringing the changes of the ingredients for the sake of it. But that all changed when we tried some of the recipes, they really are quite something, some of the tastiest pasta dishes we've had in a long time!

This is a handy little book, the instructions are clear and easy to follow, and it does not take up much space on the worktop. It is well produced, the photographs tend towards high-key with some looking a little bleached out, but that is a minor point - it is otherwise very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pocket Pasta, 22 Oct 2012
Mr. Martyn Poole "Rubix78" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
For the price this is a really practical cookbook for pasta recipes, I have made a couple of recipes from the book and it's simple to follow and very easy. I would recommend this book to anyone who's not the greatest cook but wants to cook food from scratch at a reasonable price.

Also I would recommend some of the other Hamlyn cookbooks as they are a fantastic price under a fiver. One downside which is also the plus side is the size. It's small and easy to store however I am cooking at home so a bigger cookbook with bigger text isn't a problem.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for pasta fans!, 22 Aug 2012
I am a big pasta fan and this is what I usually cook! It's easy and quick and you have a great selection of possibilities. Ham, vegetables, tomato sauce, cheese, cream, pestos... But naturally I had to run out of recipes one day, so I was searching for a collection of new recipes I can try. I chose this book because the dishes looked simply super delicious in the photos and seemed to be cooked effortless. and it's true. The author offers a great number of especially Italian based recipes, spaghetti or filled pasta and a huge choice of oven pasta recipes. I'm very happy with this book and my friends confirmed I became even better in pasta cooking than I was before!

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad for the price, 8 Mar 2012
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a nicely put together and presented little book, though it doesn't contain anything particularly earth shattering. The photos are quite lush and vibrant, and the recipes do have a certain degree of variety, but looking over all of them, it does start to feel a bit samey, with some recipes being fairly slight variations on previous entries. That said, with a price tag this low, it is hard to complain and in that sense, the book does represent value for money.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pint-sized pasta recipes!, 18 Jan 2012
RM/TM (UK.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Nice compact little book of recipes with wipe clean cover, handily divided into sections for soups and salads, meat and poultry, fish and seafood, vegetarian and homemade (the latter requiring you to make and/or stuff your own pasta). There's also an introduction explaining which types of sauces go best with which sizes and shapes of pasta, a basic recipe for home-made pasta dough, and guidance on ancilliary ingredients, such as the various sorts of tomato and olive oil available.

As well organised as this book is, I didn't find many of the recipes really grabbed me - maybe it was the competent but not salivation-inducing photographs, or the slightly odd combinations of ingredients (swordfish and artichokes?). I don't really know. Dishes that did appeal more included classic basil pesto, orecchiette with walnut sauce, and the more original-sounding duck tortellini - but I have to be honest and say that I'd be unlikely to actually cook more than a handful of the published recipes.

All in all, a well put together and very affordeable book, but not earth-shatteringly exciting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Become a pasta master..., 5 Jan 2012
techpuppy "aka stylepuppy" (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
So good I bought it twice - well almost. I'd already picked up a copy of the Hamlyn 200 Veggie Feasts book and was impressed enough to want this one too. Theses mini books are no-nonsense and genuinely useful cookbooks for making easy but interesting meals. The quantities are mostly set for 4 people and the average preparation and cooking time is probably around 30/40 minutes so most dishes would be great for everyday family dining. A few familiar favourites, like Classic Bolognese and Meat Lasagne, are included alongside lots of more adventurous, but achievable, dishes and all the ingredients should be available in a good supermarket.

Everything is well-presented with a full page photo alongside every recipe and there are sections on soups & starters, meat & poultry, fish & seafood, vegetarian and a 'homemade' section which features (a few) recipes for making your own filled pasta dishes, like tortellini and ravioli. Italian cuisine makes good use of good vegetables and so the vegetarian section is unusually comprehensive and features about 40 recipes, most tempting enough even for carnivores. The book is small enough to throw into the kitchen drawer until you need a bit of inspiration so you've really no excuse for boring pasta dishes anymore - and it's a bargain!