4.0 out of 5 stars Mamma Mia! This is a catchy meatball!
My wife went to see Mamma Mia and since coming back has listened to the soundtrack constantly in the car.

My initial reaction was to not allow myself to enjoy it too much as it is just cheesy pop performed by film stars - but try as I may, I have to admit that half an hour ago I drove to the shops and listened to it, with the volume cranked on loud (but the...
Published on 17 Aug 2008 by @GeekZilla9000

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the film soundtracks
Whilst good to listen to, the songs are not quite as spontaneous sounding as in the movie. I can still picture them singing their songs in the movie, but the CD recording is too clinical. Okay to listen to though.
Published on 25 July 2010 by Nanju

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you for the music - the ultimate feel-good musical, 5 Aug 2008
J. Takata (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I had never seen the stage show, nor was I much familiar with ABBA songs (except for the obligatory Dancing Queen at every cheesy party). Seeing the film however transformed my perceptions completely - no wonder the show is such a worldwide phenomenon! I just had to get the soundtrack after that.

The actors are not the world's best singers (Pierce Brosnan leaves a lot to be desired), but their slightly amateur sound just adds to the feel-good factor that it doesn't even matter. I have compared the CD to the Original London Recording of the stage show, but still prefer the movie version. It is perhaps the fact that these non-singers are all trying so hard, that it just brings a smile to your face.

Among the cast, Amanda Seyfried is definitely the real unexpected highlight; her clear and piercing vocals are worthy of any singer (she could easily have a pop career) and are employed particularly well in Lay All Your Love on Me and Thank You for the Music. Honey Honey is also an infectious delight, which just makes you want to start dancing in your seat. Meryl Streep is also commendable - her rendition of Slipping Through My Fingers is worth a tear, and despite the somewhat shaky voice, her emotions in The Winner Takes It All trumps every other version I've heard.

Although I did enjoy every song, my personal favourite is probably Our Last Summer - Colin Firth does an excellent job here; while you can tell he is no professional singer, his sheer 'Britishness' and a rather John Denver-esque voice suits the song perfectly. The song's lyrics also carry a kind of nostalgia.

One small thing to note is that where there is some spoken dialogue within a song in the movie (for example, during Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! or Voulez-Vous), the soundtrack omits the speech so that it is just continuous music. It's not a huge thing, but it's something you'd notice if you compare it to the official stage show recording which does include those lines.

This musical is by no means the next Les Mis - it is based on pop songs, after all, and the at times meaningless or repetitive lyrics reflect that - but it is the ultimate feel-good show and so infectiously fun; it's impossible to dislike. All in all, a terrific buy - it will soon be among the most played of CDs among my collection. I eagerly await the release of the DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars great feelgood soundtrack, great film, 21 July 2008
after seeing the movie, i couldnt stop myself ordering the soundtrack, its a great feel good film and the music goes along with it, great performances from the actors, who really took a risk taking on this role - who would have thoughht, james bond dressed as abba?? all great tracks and i especially love lay all your love on me and voulez vous.

its a must have for all mama mia, musical or abba fans!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Oct 2008
My daughter bought me this for my birthday, cant stop playing it full volumn in the car. Cry everytime it gets to "slipping thru my fingers" I can really relate to this song. A must for every Abba fan and even some who aren't. All the cast did a fantastic job with all the songs, some better than others.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the film soundtracks, 25 July 2010

4.0 out of 5 stars ABBA, 5 Aug 2008
M. G. Hatfield "trekle5" (North Wales UK) - See all my reviews
ABBA is one of the most succsesful bands of the past and this soundtrack come from the lastest film some of the songs aren't that well known the film features very well known face dancing singing well known ABBA songs. Mama Mia! is a good CD in two ways it allows to relieve the movie or just listen ABBA perfromed by the stars from the movie but I would suggest you go and see the film first.

This CD misses a few things out which shouldn't have been I also think it should have an enhanced CD which means it would have had a few little extras.

But over all a great buy

5.0 out of 5 stars A GREAT SOUNDTRACK!, 18 July 2008
I have not yet seen the film, but have so enjoyed seeing excerpts from 'Mama Mia' and hearing the fantastic soundtrack which just oozes energy and enjoyment on the part of the whole cast I just had to buy the C.D. My favourite excerpt so far, is Meryl Streep and the rest of the girls joined by what seems the women of the village dancing and singing 'Dancing Queen' through the streets. I think Meryl leads this film brilliantly, and I feel that criticism is mainly from people who think she is only an actress, albeit a brilliant one, and has no right to be in a leading, singing role - but she is a trained opera singer and I personally love her voice. Also, what a lovely change for our own Julie Walters to be in a glamourous, singing role for once, instead of yet another downtrodden little old lady! Well done to everyone associated with this film - Pierce Brosnan and Colin Firth included!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mamma Mia - exciting, feel good, glad to be alive sound track, 21 Aug 2008
B. A. Parkin "Abba Are Great" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Being a stout ABBA fan from their glory days after winning the Eurovision with Waterloo I tread carefully when being injected with any take-off of their music. However no reserve needs putting in place in my opinion as this just comes across as feel good Abba one hundred per cent. Obviously we're never going to get the vocal range that Abba had but for feel good, solid enjoyment, love of music, crowd appreciation, this delivers one hundred and ten per cent. Abba appeal to all generations and will never lose their appeal. Be surprised if you don't find yourself joining in as it's hard to resist! Was surprised at some of the tracks missing from the film following the stage show but ultimately Abba haven't made a bad record so wasn't too bothered.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupendous, 8 Aug 2008
D. Bryan "Bardin Ironglove" (Middlesbrough England) - See all my reviews
My wife and friends have just been to the cinema to see this stupendous film. We have tried for weeks to book tickets but it has been sold out for sometime.

What more can be said about ABBA's music that has not already been expressed.

This film is fantastic and if you have not had the opportunity to see it yet, then my advice is take the time to go and see it you will not regret the experience you will have.

My friends and I were blown away with the performances and the way in which the music was woven into the film, as expressed by another review the song slipping through my fingers brought a wave of emotion over me as a parent of 3 daughters and their jouney into adulthood.

As soon as I returned home from the cinema I went on the internet and ordered the film soundtrack, I eagerly await its delivery, so I can mentally relive the experience.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasures, 31 July 2008
Martin A Hogan "Marty From SF" (San Francisco, CA. (Hercules)) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
For all of its awkwardness and simplistic beauty, this soundtrack captures the feeling of the plot and movie almost better than the stage musical. By now it is well known that ABBA founders, Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, have tailored their numberous hits into a somewhat forced, but workable stage production that has been a world-wide modern classic. It was only a matter of time before this film was made and its done remarkably well; mixing acting, music and scenery nearly seamlessly. The instrumentals are toned down from the synthesized originals, but the musical excitement is still there. Cast members vary in degree of muscial accomplishment, but its no surprise that Streep can not only carry a tune well, but can inflect a kind of lyrical dialogue effectively without it sounding corny. Film daughter Amanda Seyfried also sings remarklably well, making the two leads a perfect match. The other cast members hit and miss with their vocals (Pierce Brosnan being nearly unlistenable), but the mood is caught and held. For its sheer simplicity, the cast makes this collection work and it is somewhat odd to realize that there are not very many musicals out there in this genre, making "Mama Mia" even more interesting. There is no apologing or embarrasment here, only well crafted pop-tunes that please in spite of themselves. It's a guilty pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou...., 28 Sep 2008
...for this soundtrack, I don't think I could have coped without the songs whist waiting for the film to be released. I listen to it in the car, on my iPod, on my laptop - it's sad (and I really don't know much about what's out at the minute) but I didn't want to lose the feel good feeling I got when I left the cinema.

‹ Previous | 1 2 323 | Next ›

Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (EEA Version)
Mamma Mia! The Movie Soundtrack (EEA Version) by Cast Of Mamma Mia The Movie