4.0 out of 5 stars Brummie boldness/Midlands mayhem....
Belly laughs....superb guitar licks and a very strong grasp of a good tune.,...this is a classic british album.

Published on 26 July 2007 by DOGG

3.0 out of 5 stars It should have been so much better.
Published on 6 May 2008 by mollynew442

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Brummie boldness/Midlands mayhem...., 26 July 2007

Birmingham quintet The Twang have been derided as "baggy copyists" but the baggy feel only adds to this raw and varied debut album. The guitar sound layered throughout this album is different and inventive lifting some of the tracks from pub rock chug to indie masterpieces,this is mixed in with some clever lyrics and playful storytelling.

I'm not quite sure how this album will sit in ten years time but it felt very NOW to me and is full of a working class passion that so often gets swept under the chav banner of apathy and mindless aggression. Buy this and enjoy!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not perfect, but a good effort, 9 Nov 2007
The Twang seem to have got a few listeners riled. Something I am sure they were aiming to achieve. It comes as no suprise that this album is being slated by people who only saw them beacuse they were supporting Milburn, one of the most bland and uncreative bands in music today.

This album is not a complete revelation and it does not signal a change for indie music. It is however filled with great and catchy songs that you will want to return to.

Album opener 'Ice Cream Sundae' is a quality track and shows exactly why they have been compared to The Happy Mondays while Single 'Either Way' shows that they are capable of writing a real quality song which is lyriccally sound without just swearing and repeating tunes.

Other highlights include 'Push the Ghosts' (another song that escapes the repeated tune and swearing that some reviewers have commented on) and 'Dont wait Up' which they manage to be just about subtle enough with for them to get away with it thanks to the brilliant soul vocals of 'that other guy who does nothing'.

A good album worth exploring if you can manage to be open mided about bands who can create indie music which stretches beyond Oasis.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different from all the dull indie bands!, 19 Sep 2007
Totally agree with the review below.I loved this album the first time I heard it.The reason-It sounds nothing like the indie bands at the minute that all sound the same. (Stand up The View,Fratellis,Pigeon Detectives,The Enemy etc)Yes it may sound like something from the 90's,but thats a good thing compared to all the dreary indie bands at the minute that don't deliver anything fresh.At least the songs are singalong anthems.Sid.Burton.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best albums of 2007, 11 Jun 2007
When I was younger I would spend my nights dancing like crazy to the Happy Mondays, the Stone Roses, CARTER, Wonderstuff... then I grew up, and the bands changed. Never again was that feeling of energy rekindled, of findind a new album which felt fresh and felt like it had been "Made in the 90's".

Until I found The Twang.

Its as though the much talked about 90's Revival may finally be on its way. The Twang capture the old feeling, and combine it with the new "Streets" style of music, and it works perfectly.

Every song on this album is instantly familiar, and yet excitingly new. Lots of big expressions such as "the next big thing" have already been aimed at this band by people far bigger than me, but for once, I really hope their right.

Cant wait to find them live! But for now, get this album, you wont regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars On a Rant, 24 Oct 2007
R. Jones "Base2" (Wales) - See all my reviews
This is my first review on Amazon and I've got to say that lots of the people posting they're opinions are not really taking time to listen to the music they're talking about. The Twang are a perfect example!

Yes, the language is graphic and at times unnecessary. Yes, it may conform to peoples perception of 'Chav' music and YES, it does hark back to the ROSES, MONDAYS, CHARLATANS, CARPETS sounds of the 90's but the language and chav element (like it or not) are current and authentic, and the Madchester theme is probably drawn from the fact that this was probably the best era in British music since the late 60's/early 70's.

The reality is, this is a great album with Epic riff's, considered/true to life lyrics, chorus's you'll be humming for days and a sound that lets you immerse yourself in the music from start to finish.

It's not perfect and not everyone will get it but, that doesn't matter. If you're reading this review you've probably found it by searching other bands you're into, or because The Twang have been recommended to you? "either way" buy it - you won't be disappointed!!

P.S. Read the other reviews (disregard the bad ones). If I haven't convinced you, they might!

3.0 out of 5 stars It should have been so much better., 6 May 2008
I saw the band live on several occasions prior to the release of the album and was blown away at each performance. The band were brash and full of attitude. They worked the (small) crowd well and with their baggy meets indie guitar sound they had the potential to be huge. I had huge hopes that the album would be brilliant and having heard their My Space material expected a fantastic record. Unfortunately the recorded songs have lost so much of what made them so good live. Compared to the original My Space version even Wide Awake sounds too polished. The CD for me has destroyed the very sound which made The Twang so appealing. Even the Midlands accent, so thick on stage, seems to have been lessened. Why Cloudy Room ends with a lullaby I do not know. There are some great tunes here such as "Wide Awake", "The Neighbour", "Either Way" and "Cloudy Room". However there is also a lot of filler. This album really was a missed opportunity. Had it recreated the excitement and raw edge of the band I saw then they would be massive. Sadly it doesn't and one suspects that few will remember The Twang in 12 months.

4.0 out of 5 stars Qualtiy!, 10 Dec 2007
What an album! I have had a look at some of the other reviews and find some of the negative ones don't really do the album justice or maybe they haven't actually give it a good listen. It is one of those where on first listen you think it's ok but by the third it hits you as to how good it is. Agreed, some of the lyrics are a bit chavvy and there is a bit of colourful language however nobody would slate the Arctic Monkeys for this or The Enemy for that matter (after all they are all singing about what they see). For me the best songs are DON'T WAIT UP, TWO LOVERS and PUSH THE GHOSTS, the first two could be about any bloke and what he gets up to on the lash and push the ghosts borrows really well from "Push it". That is probably the only negative for me, in the back of your head is always "I'm sure I've heard this before" but as another review said anything that reminds you of the Mondays, Roses and Inspiral Carpets etc from the early nineties can't be a bad thing. All in all quite an atmospheric album with at times quite dark sounding riffs and superb vocals, I'll not get sick of this album for ages.

5.0 out of 5 stars So Good I had to buy it., 20 May 2009
Amazon Customer (doncaster, s.yorks United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well as the title says. I had this on a lend from a M8 who bought it and didnt like it. Recently he heard it at a party and said "WHOA who's that? Thats a great album!"...The Host said thats "The Twang- I love it when I feel like this"....Next thing you know hes knocking on my door and wants his CD back. Well I coped without this album for about a month. The problems with this album are, its all about your state of mind and its a massive grower! The first time I heard it I wasnt so keen. Then I listened to it again in a melancholy and thoughtfull mood! Then a copy of it spent about 2 months doing the "circuit" in the car CD player. There are many modern classics out there. "The Stone Roses", "Urban Hymns", "Whats the Story Morning Glory" "Kasabian"...My only wonder is why this isnt on the list? Its on Mine! It should be on yours too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 28 Jan 2008
Wow, I love this album! I loved it the first time I heard it; my other half was not sure but he has grown to love it; it's on in both our car stereo's at the moment! The Twang really remind me of the 90's manchester scene but they have a more grown up vibe about them. The guitar solo's are really catchy and the lyrics are great (even though I do mis-hear them most of the time and sing all the wrong words!) "Either Way" is my favourite track; I even have it on my myspace jukebox! It knocks the socks off the typical indie crap that's around at the moment (The Kooks, The View, The Pigeon Detectives). Stand up and be counted The Twang cause you are flippin brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant!!, 21 Oct 2007
I got this album based on a review in a magazine - they gave it 4 stars -and to be honest wasn't expecting a lot (never heard of them) but thought it might while away some time whilst stuck on the usual motorway jams. However I was pleasantly surprised, first thoughts were Hard Fi meets The Streets. I can honestly say there is no weak track on this album and I am not easily pleased music wise. I am playing it over and over again, the biggest tribute I can possibly give is my favourite track 'Don't Wait Up' reminds me of the RHCP!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›