Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 2 November 2011
NOTE: I have the pre-2012 2GB version of this device, which is what this review was originally written for but I have noticed that the product description has changed to 'New version 2012', so would be wise to check out more recent reviews.

Needed something cheap and cheerful for recording university lectures. Other recorders might have better sound quality, but they also have many other features which I don't need at all (with price tags to match). What's more, some of the more expensive offerings demand some ridiculous conversion techniques for saving the recording to a PC.

The sound quality is ok-ish at best (describing it as crystal clear is stretching it - NOTE this observation is directed at the manufacturers description, not other reviewers' opinions as it is subjective for everyone). If the speaker is within 5ft and facing the recorder it's fine, but playback volume will need to be raised significantly beyond that point, so positioning is tricky, especially if the speaker is highly 'mobile' or speaking out to the audience one minute and turning round to look at the projection screen the next. Additionally, you MUST place it on a surface where no one else is sitting, because every time an elbow, hand or pen hits the table top (even lightly), it will 'boom' through on playback and make it impossible to hear the speaker (the sensitivity of a recording device is not synonymous with clarity). This is also a problem if you have 'chatty' members of the audience around you. Whilst 36hrs storage is useful, that's of no use to me if I cannot record for more than 5hrs before having to recharge it on a USB port, at which point I would be transferring the recordings anyway, so I would be much happier with a higher recording bit-rate in exchange for less storage.

Obviously you cannot playback recordings from the unit itself, but that's perfectly logical given the functionality and price-point.

Transferring the recordings to PC is very simple. Right-click on a recording in the 'VoiceList' partition of the drive and select 'Save to Computer'. Once you've done that you can rename the file to whatever you like in any folder of your choice. Being .WAV files, they can be played in Windows Media Player instantly. I use this stick between two different computers and I've noticed that it has registered the fact by offering separate 'VoiceLists' for both XP and Windows 7. Clever.

There is just a single slide switch on the side to turn it on/off. It is suitably stiff and would be very difficult to turn it on or off inadvertently, which is great.

Despite any shortcomings, I am very happy with the purchase and would recommend it: no-nonsense product at a reasonable price. I also like the way people don't believe me when I tell them it's a voice recorder!

PROS:
- Ease of use
- Recordings directly transferable to PC for simple playback and storage
- Dual purpose (recorder and data storage)
- Portability
- Price

CONS:
- Middling quality/clarity of recordings
- Files cannot be renamed until transferred to PC

(Flawless operation in XP Home 32-bit on WMP11 and Windows7 64-bit on WMP12)
on 16 June 2011
I was just looking for a reasonably priced mini Voice Recorder and when I saw this product with an 8GB Capcity I bought it. I was not expecting much because it was such a low price. However, when I received my mini Voice Recorder and installed it on my computer I was astonished of the clarity of speech. Not only is an excellent mini Voice Recorder it can also be used as a USB memory stick with a massive 8GB Capacity. I definitely recommend it.
33 comments|25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2011
I have recently bought this item and am really impressed with it,the quality of recording is fantastic I would say it was one of the best products I ever bought on Amazon I definitely recommend it to anyone who is after quality.
on 2 July 2011
this little device is fantastic. order it on thursday evening and got it on saturday morning. easy to use just plug it in your computer to charge and you can test it straight away. Recording is nice and easy and it's very clear. FANTASTIC!!!
on 22 December 2012
This item is easy to use and works well. It is convenient to carry with you and use as you need.

Yes it can suddenly become non functional, but there is a small hole to one side of the silver central piece that allows you to re-set to factory settings and the end of a paper clip pushed in here will usually resolve the issue.

I have been using mine for over 12 months and it has had some serious use and taken a battering from time to time and still working.

I do recommend it.
on 8 September 2012
PROS:

> Great for recording classes with and also sneaky recordings to see what your family and friends are saying about you
> I can easily hear what is being spoken
> Installed quickly and with no trouble at all
> Simple, functional and economical considering its attributes
> Battery life is marvelous and I had barely charged it and it worked properly
> Great style and if you would want to do a covert recording, most people wouldn't recognise as they will just think it is a memory stick
> Has a keyring

CONS:

> Has a flashing light when it is recording that would perhaps give it away if someone picked it up and noticed
> As with all mini gadgets, be careful not to lose it or else all your money has been spent in vain
on 21 April 2012
Handy little gadget for recording discretely can be fun and useful. So simple to activate and play back on a pc with
no software needed.
on 30 December 2013
I read the reviews and must agree, it really is one of the best available. So useful for those moments that need to be recalled, either to check up on what was said, or any blocks of information which are difficult to take in at the time. Would I recommend?--Certainly.
on 25 October 2013
Go this when I was getting legal advice and wanted to make sure I could listen to it again when t home. Bought another for my wife when she was getting a hard time at work. PLUS it's a high capacity flash drive. Excellent quality. Easy to use. Brilliant idea.
on 12 February 2014
I read all the glowing reports and decided to purchase this over other similar models. Was deeply disappointed when I got it. The UltraDisk DVR10 unit received is failing to respond (No LED), at charge and there is no record or Red LED either.. When I insert it into my computer is recognised by the operating system and the blue LED flashes just once. There is no built in UltraDisk software activation on launch either. Performed a hard reset but other than wiping all the files it did nothing. I reloaded the software and the REC_DATA folder but still no change.
This unit was clearly damaged and should be replaced with a fully functioning one. ass muchj as needed for my work, i am unable to use it till I receive a replacement. Hopefully that will be fast.

See one answered question