on 5 December 2010
As one steeped in traditional music; you just cannot beat Beethoven and Mahler for the full range of musical expression, nor the likes of McLaughlin and Holdsworth for those high emotions and gay abandon that jazz music's indulgences provide. Yet I was knocked out by the English Chamber Orchestra with Caroline Dale playing Mike Sheppard's recently released "The Soul Rests Eternal". It isn't loud or brash but my God it's full of emotion. Just the thing when one is looking for music to soothe yet lose none of music's power to challenge the mind. I can thoroughly recommend "The Soul Rests Eternal" to anyone seeking music at its most thought provoking without the pomp
on 27 December 2010
The Sole Rests Eternal, is to my knowledge the first classical CD that deals with the subject of bereavement. It has been such a wonderful experience to hear it. Soon after I received my copy I had a letter from a friend who said that her 6year old granddaughter had died. At times there are no words to express deep sorrow and grief. This CD, without words takes you on a deep emotional journey were there is no need for words. The music speak through the beatiful sound of the cello. Thank you.
on 29 December 2010
My musical tastes are very broad,but have not previously extended to cello music, but I am very glad to have been introduced to this album, which has some tracks that are breathtakingly beautiful. I will certainly be looking out for further work by Mike Sheppard and Caroline Dale. I recommend this one for something a bit different, peaceful, reflective, but very interesting.
on 28 November 2010
Mike Sheppard has a god-given talent - this utterly beautiful, poignant music cannot but calm the soul. Caroline Dale adds a wonderfully rich colour, depth and resonance to the pieces backed by the English Chamber Orchestra. This is universally appealing music - I have bought this CD for all my family and friends this Christmas and shall play it in my GP surgery. I hope to hear more from this composer in the future and I'm sure we shall...
on 1 December 2010
I don't normally listen to much classical music but my wife bought this album and it is amazing. I imagine it is for classical fans but it's also just right for those who like songs; but instead of a voice it has this wonderful cello. Give this a try - you'll love it.
on 26 March 2015
Although I received a faulty copy of this sublime music Zoverstocks rapidly corrected the problem. Why is this music not played on the radio. It is every bit as good as Faure, Brahms etc.

If you have a need to chill out and escape from the world this CD is a must.
on 11 January 2011
Very evocative, beautifully written and played.
But I would say that as one of the tracks is dedicated to my son.Mike Sheppard: The Soul Rests Eternal
on 2 May 2013
I bought this CD after hearing it on Classic FM; a marvellous album that is full of rich and evocative music
on 11 January 2015
Not a lot out there by these two.
Excellent CD.