4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting background to the Agatha Raisin series.
Published on 22 Jan 2011 by Lizzie Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Raisin Companion
Published on 15 Nov 2010 by E. Todd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Raisin Companion, 15 Nov 2010
E. Todd "em" (uk) - See all my reviews
Disappointing really. Not many good illustrations and only a few recipes. A quick description of each character and then just briefly states what happened in each book. This book could of been very good but sadly wasn't. It was written by someone else and MC Beaton only did an introduction. I would of expected her to of written this herself. The books are so great that this is really an anticlimax.

3.0 out of 5 stars Agatha in order, 27 Nov 2010
S. A. Bollongino "Bookaholic" (Berlin, Germany) - See all my reviews
A small book, paper quality not brilliant, content okay. If you have all the Agatha books then this fits nicely as part of a collection. I had expected something better from M.C.Beaton but it seems that she wrote only an introduction.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting background to the Agatha Raisin series., 22 Jan 2011
This was a delight. I had read the first book in the series 'Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death' and have to confess had not taken to Agatha. She struck me as selfish, self centred and at times downright unpleasant. The second book in the series 'Agatha Raisin and the Vicious Vet' did little to improve my original impression of her. But after a long gap I picked up 'Agatha Raisin: There Goes the Bride' and found myself enjoying it. The most recent book, 'Agatha Raisin and the Busy Body' had me warming to her. I suspect that Agatha says what many of us long to say but good manners forbids us to do so, maybe we should be more like Agatha.

Reading the background to the books was interesting and enlightening as to how her character came about. Also the insight into her background made some of her faults endearing in that they are rooted in her past. So for me a really interesting and useful book not only for the background to Agatha Raisin but how M C Beaton became a writer. Whether you like Agatha Raisin or not, 'The Agatha Raisin Companion' is a worth a go.
----
Lizzie Hayes

3.0 out of 5 stars passes an hour!, 7 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Agatha Raisin Companion (Kindle Edition)
I am a real fan of MC Beaton and her characters. In particular Agatha Raisin and as the purchase price for the kindle edition was reduced I purchased it. However, I was disappointed with the content. Perhaps it was because I felt I knew the characters/settings so well in the first place (I've read all of the books several times over) that there was nothing extra in the companion to what I already know. That said it passed an hour and for the reduced price I can't grumble. If I had paid full price I would have felt I'd wasted my money.

5.0 out of 5 stars fab, 29 May 2014
If you love Agatha Raison you will like this it gives you the low down on the character and if you read this before the other books it will wet your appetite for the rest of her books.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it now, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Raisin Companion (Kindle Edition)
If you like Agatha Raisin buy this book now. It list's all the books with a short synopsis.of each story. Well worth reading.

3.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisin's life!, 25 Jan 2013
M. A. Sutcliffe "peppa2" (Lancashire England) - See all my reviews
I love the Agatha Raisin books and have them all. I wasn't really sure what I was buying when I bought this, however I would recommend it to anyone who hasn't read any of the books, as a taster. It explains her background, her life, her retirement, her friends etc. etc. I would say though don't bother with this, start off with 'The Quiche of Death' and work your way through the series you'll really enjoy learning about Agatha that way.

2.0 out of 5 stars Agatha Raisin Companion, 22 Jan 2013
Probably for younger reader
Found it rather boring, infact I didn't finish it
Just not my kind of book, sorry

2.0 out of 5 stars why did I buy, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: The Agatha Raisin Companion (Kindle Edition)
I have sort of enjoyed some of these books, and I made a mistake in buying this Agatha Raisin Companion book. I really cannot say a lot more about it only that I do not rate it at all.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Agatha Raisin Companion, 6 Nov 2012
Damaskcat (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Agatha Raisin Companion (Kindle Edition)
This useful little book follows what is rapidly becoming the usual format for companions to series. There is an introductory essay by M C Beaton which gives a brief autobiography and explains how she came to start writing the series.

Following that there are brief descriptions of what happens in each book - not to be read if you haven't already read those books as they contain spoilers. There are pen portraits of the main series characters such as James Lacey and Bill Wong and some recipes.

I found the book entertaining reading though others may feel there isn't enough information in it. It very much depends what you consider a companion to a series should contain. Readers need to bear in mind that it doesn't cover all the books in the series as the series is not yet complete.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›