Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£2.89

Matthew and the Atlas release the follow up to their wonderful first EP "To the North" (what do mean you haven't heard it?) and produce a second outing which firmly taps into some deeper folk tradition than their more raucous first extended player. Its also pleasing to report that the quality control remains consistently high for this great new prospect from the Army town of Aldershot who have recently supported Mumford and Sons.

Once again at the heart of this is Matthew Hegarty's throaty vocals. The man is a great singer who could challenge Ray LaMontagne to arm wrestling and win. The Independent said it all when they stated that he "boasts the kind of craggy larynx that lesser vocalists spend years trying to cultivate with diets of cigarettes and alcohol". Listen to the last track on this EP the lovely rolling folk of "The Waves" and try not be impressed. "Come out of the woods" alternatively is that type of seasonal warm folk that Van Morrison captured on his scintillating metaphysical cover of the traditional "Purple Heather" on "Hard nose the highway". Alternatively "I Followed the fires" is a piece of outright Americana that many American bands never quite manage to capture in terms of atmosphere. As the banjos and the intensity build throughout you will find your foot tapping will take on a life of its own. The highlight here is the title track "Kingdom of your own" a brilliant sing-along ballad which at 2.3O goes off into banjo driven heaven accompanied by wonderful backing vocals from the bands siren Lindsay West.

If the band released their two debut EPs as a album we would be screaming their praises from the rooftops. As it stands I suspect that Matthew and the Atlas have even more songs in their musical vault waiting to be unlocked. We shall watch with intense interest.
on 19 April 2012
I first heard of Matthew and the atlas when the recently supported 'The Civil Wars' on their UK tour.

I've never been so impressed by a support act. The music is often soaring, emotional and beautifully expressed. MAtthew has a husky dry singing voice which compliments the style and creates an extra level to the sound produced. This 4 song EP gives a glimpse into what Matthew and his fellow musicians are capable of and I certainly look forward to hearing more from them in time. Personal favourite is the song 'Waves'.
on 31 July 2013
This band deserves so much more credit and recognition than they get! Their music is so beautiful and haunting and their music is going from strength to strength. My all time favourite track of theirs is I Will Remain, and so I was somewhat pessimistic of how this band would ever surpass I Will Remains level of beauty, however this EP is so raw and beautiful! I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who is a fan of bands such as Bon Iver and Mumford and Sons and anyone really who appreciates warm, emotional music or anyone really who wants to try something a little bit different! Definately worth the 5 star rating and can't wait for a full album!
on 10 June 2013
PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAASE, I will buy it! These guys are so good, I don't understand how they aren't yet famous. I followed fires is just so good and the waves is one of those songs that just gets better and better as it goes.
on 17 August 2015