5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value blu ray player
Published on 1 Feb 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin but a bit noisy
This player successfully plays all the media formats it says it does but we found the player to be a bit noisy when playing a disk. It is nearly silent when playing something from a USB stick though. I have an LG BD370 and it is much quieter. With the BD550 the player noise can be distracting during quiet scenes of a film, although you may get used to it.

I...
Published on 31 Jan 2011 by Iain Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value blu ray player, 1 Feb 2011
A Kid's Review
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
I am not much of a techy person, so can't review like an expert. But I had to buy a new dvd player as my old one died and thought to take it a step further and get a blu-ray. My budget was quite tight so this player fit perfectly. It arrived very quickly and it was very easy to set up (I already had a HDMI cable) It looks very nice and I like the fact it doesn't have many lights or distracting things. It is pretty straight forward to use. Good controller as well.
So far I have only used it to watch dvds and I must say the difference is incredible! (I also have a LG tv)Specially to films full of colour and nice visuals.

I am very very happy with this purchase! Family and friends asked where it was from, and when I told them about the price they quickly came to amazon to grab one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and very cheerful, 9 Mar 2011
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
This LG model has the usual glossy black finish which is very much en-vogue at the moment and the front has a nice unfussy look to it.

Upscaled DVDs look great when using this machine and sceptics will be won over by the improved image quality. Blu-Ray discs look superb and the colours and sharpness appear just as great as they do on more expensive players. It's probably fair to say that Blu-Ray player technology has become much cheaper over the last 12 months, and this player offers the same sort of functionality as a 300 machine would have done a couple of years or so ago.

This is a perfect player for beginners as it is easy to set up, it pretty much requires to simply connect it up via HDMI cable and turn it on. There's also a USB port so if you have video files on memory cards or keydrives then you can enjoy them on your TV too. As well as standard DVDs and Blu-Ray I have a few disks containing film in DivX format and instead of watching them on my PC I can now watch them on the TV which is much more convenient. Disk loading times on Blu-Ray players aren't as quick as DVD but they have been steadily increasing. The speed of this machine isn't exactly blisteringly fast but it's definitely one of the better performers and is much quicker than some high spec older devices. I would say compares fairly equally in terms of speed to the Samsung BD-C5500 Blu-Ray Player WiFi Ready which is Samsung's entry level player.

So far I've not attempted to upgrade the firmware on the player but according to the LG website you need a PC running Windows, I have a MAC so that would rule me out - however, a Windows PC isn't required - you simply need to unzip the .ROM file and dump it onto a CD/DVD or use a USB stick. This player benefits from having "SimpLink" - it's not something I can use as I don't have an LG TV - but if I did then I suppose it would be handy to be able to use one remote control for both devices!

As this is a budget model then there are some features it doesn't have, there are various basic outputs additional to HDMI but no Optical Output and it doesn't allow digital networking to other devices in order to share content. Also, and contrary to the description on the Amazon product description (at the time of writing this) there is no Netcast facility - so don't expect to be able to watch BBC iPlayer or YouTube over your broadband. As the reference to NetCast mentions NetFlix then I'm assuming it's a mistaken `copy and paste' from a similar American player.

In a nutshell: This is the perfect machine for those who want to replace their DVD player and make the jump into Blu-Ray. It's easy to use and probably has more features than most people would use. For those who want WiFi and a raft of advanced media features then there are specialised models, but this will play your DVDs, Blu-Ray disks and also a variety of other file types on a memory card (via a card reader in the USB slot). In comparison to other Blu-Ray players on the market this looks underwhelming, but considering this as a budget player simply to play disks then for the price it's perfect. However, if you think you may want to take advantage of online video in future then you may want to look elsewhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG BD550 Blu Ray Player, 31 Dec 2010
David Clixby (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
I recently bought an LG television from amazon and decided on this blu ray player as it system links with the television, though i didn't buy this from amazon i thought i should give my opinion on this blu ray player. the picture quality is stunning, the sound is very good too, if you want a top brand blu ray player with stunning picture quality then buy one of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've been dragged into the present!, 13 Jun 2011
KM (Liverpool) - See all my reviews
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (#1 REVIEWER)
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
I bought this blue ray player to go with my new telly from here (Toshiba HD 1080p 37inch). I've got a mate in work who's always shouting the merits of blue ray. . . .luckily I believed him!

The player itself is very lightweight indeed. It looks basic and technically against these all singing dancing models, it is. But I just wanted a machine that plays blue ray and this does it very well in my opinion. The player bone is connected to the telly bone via a HDMI cable (available from here for under two squid!)That's it folks! You just connect, plug in and put your blue ray disc in and you are away with the cinematic faries! Yes it is that good, it's like some movie fairy has sprinkled magic picture dust over your telly! I got Avatar to go with it and all's I can say is "wow!" The picture is amazing (to me). We went right upto the screen and you could see every hair on Sam Worthingtons head, every crack in that horrible army commanders gob and the action scenes are fantastic, explosions, background images you may have missed on dvd, come to life. What can I compare it too? The difference between a 10 mega pixel digital camera and a box brownie! Yes it's that good, honestly! We're (me and the kids) are just compiling a list of blue ray movies we'd love to see. I'm glad I took the plunge!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why pay more?, 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
Excellent picture quality, fast start up time and very simple to set up. Build quality not fantastic but what do you expect for [...]? Quiet in operation too. Unit is very slim with minimal connections on back but nowadays you only need the HDMI plus digital coax for the amp. Can't comment on longevity as have only just bought it but can say I'm impressed so far (previously owned a Sony at 4 times the price of this and this beats it on the fact that the picture quality is the same, the sound is the same but the start up is so much quicker and it's quieter in operation)

3.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin but a bit noisy, 31 Jan 2011
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)

I sent it back for a refund and Amazon impressed me again with their customer service. It was painless and a generally pleasant experience. Well done them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blue Ray Player, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
This is the first blue ray player that I have purchased and I am very happy with it. Excellent picture quality, small and sleak and it doesn't have lots of flashing lights on it, which must be a power save. Easy to set up with a hdmi cable, which I bought seperately from amazon. Would recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good value Blu-ray player, 27 Mar 2011
Brian Smedley (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
Bought this as a present for friends and they have been very pleased with it. They particularly like the fact that they can easily watch their MP4 video of their grandchild from their Sanyo HD camcorder via the USB (with a USB card reader).

A word of caution for potential purchasers - US based reviews of the LG BD550 refer to the UK LG BD 560.
In the US, US 550 = UK 560, and US 530 = UK 550 (very confusing when doing research before purchase!).
The main differences between the two models (UK 550 and 560) seems to be in the level of internet support. The UK 550 model supports Youtube, Picasso and Weather but NOT Netcast or Netflix. The ability to play a variety of video formats seem to be virtually identical to the 560 model. My friends were not interested in Internet support so the UK LG 550 does what they want.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG BluRay/DVD player, 10 Jan 2011
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
I bought this to enable me to view my existing DVD collection in 1080.

So far it seems to fulfil all that has been written about it, the quality of picture is top notch and once you have mastered the controls it is very easy to use.

I just wish that I had waited a couple of weeks as Amazon seen to have reduced the price quite considerably.
Still you can't win all the time.
One small thought is regarding the HDMI cable, I bought mine from 'Poundland' and it seems to work perfectly, so look around before you pay through the nose for this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars LG Blu-Ray Player Brilliant Product, 10 May 2011
This review is from: LG BD550 Blu-Ray Player (Electronics)
I can highly recommend this LG Blu-Ray DVD. I was nervous about the price thinking that I should pay a lot more to get good quality. Don't worry this DVD player is perfect if like me you just want it to play ordinary DVD'S , Blu-Ray dvd's and be able to pause and play. Other bits and bobs it has but that's all I wanted. It does all this including upscaling old DVD'S to a much higher quality. The setup was easy, so much so that I was waiting to set it up manually when I suddenly realised that it had done it automatically anyway. Just add the HDMI lead ( not supplied ) and I also connected the red , yellow and white leads as well , don't know if that makes a difference. Can recommend , it won't disappoint.

ARRAY(0xa6675f54)