on 31 December 2010
I enjoyed this collection immensely. How can you go wrong with such great composers such as Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner etc? As the album title suggests, these pieces of music are by and large quite serious, but the album is all the better for it. It is definetly good value for money, and I recommend it to anyone who is a serious collector of Classical Music. There are many familiar pieces of music on this album, and likewise, there are many works I am not at all familiar with - which makes it all the more enjoyable. Of Course I loved the popular works such as Beethoven's 5th, Mozart's Symphony No 25, Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" and Saint-Saens "Danse Macabre" - but even the less well known pieces are enticing, almost ethereal, and dare I say it, even Supernatural! Just one last thing. The artwork for this album is a definite winner. I like the Raven against the full moon backdrop and the bare trees. It looks nice, full screen in Windows Media Player.
on 5 March 2013
i just loved this cd its the kind of music that touches the soul whether to scare or calm you down already recommended it on fb
on 19 April 2014
This album is simply brilliant.

So many pieces I've never heard before, and also some composers I've never heard of; like Arvo Pärt, Henryk Górecki, Andreas Mühlen, Samuel Barber, Zoltan Kodály, Krzysztof Penderecki, Léon Boëllmann and Severin Blazer... as well as old favourites like Mozart, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Vivaldi, JS Bach, Schubert, Stravinsky, Shostakovich, Rachmaninoff, Mussorgsky, Rossini, Grieg, Handel, Saint-Saëns, Chopin, Prokofiev, Holst, Orff and Verdi. Plus there are Gregorian chants and also some composers I've not heard much from before like Satie, Berlioz, Bartók, Debussy, Albinoni, Brahms, Liszt and Bruckner.

All in all the best £5.49 I've spent in ages (I had a £1 Amazon credit and got the MP3 version), and with the ability to listen to them on my phone, tablet or computer from the Amazon Cloud I can take some of the most moving, breathtaking and memorable classical works with me wherever I go. I can't recommend this enough, there is something for everyone from seasoned classical "veterans" to those new to the genre.
on 28 January 2012
Great performances of great music.

In response to an earlier review: No need to buy blind!
Click on a track in the listing and the detail screen shows the composer. You don't see it in the album track listing because "Composer" isn't one of the more commonly used MP3 tag fields. I've downloaded this compilation elsewhere and each track's MP3 tag does include the "Composer"; indeed, composer name is given in full e.g. Pyotr Il'yich Tchaikovsky. This seems to be fairly standard with classical MP3s.
on 8 July 2013
For the price this is great value. Lots of familiar pieces and some I hadn't heard before, but all worth having. Recommended.
on 11 August 2013
Contains some of the most beautiful and endurable musical pieces, this is a great album.and excellent value for the price.
on 12 July 2015
Great to stick on your entertainment system and chillout/relax. Classical music with balls!
on 5 October 2014
very good
on 6 December 2012
would advise people to download amazon mp3 too your phone instead of buying blind you can listen to 30 secounds of each track before purchase.
on 1 November 2010
This looks like a great compilation at a reasonable price, but I cannot bring myself to purchase it when Americans can get it for $1.99. I wish I could exercise the same choice over petrol prices.