5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good
Published on 15 Mar 2011 by Tom Commis

Published 8 months ago by Steady Eddie

5.0 out of 5 stars Suprisingly good, 15 Mar 2011
Tom Commis (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Roberts Radios Sports 925 3-Band Battery Portable Radio (Accessory)
This radio was purchased to replace a battered but much loved Roberts R9924 and seems to be a redesigned version of that. The sound is excellent on all bands with little fading or hiss. It is a little smaller than it's predecessor so can more justly be called a 'pocket radio'. It seems to retain the good build quality associated with Roberts and the black finish will probably last longer (the silver finish on the R9924 tended to rub off after a while). Check out the reviews for the Roberts R9924 Sports 924 3-Band Portable Radio with Long Wave as it is essentially the same and is still being produced, just pick the style you prefer.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Brilliant radio, 21 Jan 2011
I needed a pocket radio with Long Wave. This radio ticked all the boxes. It could easily

fit into an inside pocket,picked up all the stations with a clear reception and was a very sturdy Radio.

Since purchased, it has had a few tumbles but due to the robust nature of it's construction it

still works perfectly.I would purchase another of these R9924 Radio's if anything should befall my Roberts.

Highly Recommended!!!

One slight criticism would be that the earphone socket should be closer to the top.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great little radio - I have used for years, 3 July 2012
This radio has replaced its grey predecessor, which I have been using for 10 years.
We have a number of sets, one in each room when we turn on as we move about the house.
Then my wife and I have one model each which we listen to on walks in the Scottish countryside.
They are all excellent and have given us much pleasure over the years and are like old friends.

This new black model, which appeared this year, is slimmer, lighter and very much the same. So we will continue to buy and enjoy it. We have bought two sets already. Great on reception and sound. Especially for Radio 4. Good battery life.

Only one small thing I would change, which makes me give it 4 stars and not 5 - move the earphones socket from the side to the top, so that when you carry it in your pocket (and isn't that the point of a small radio?) the plug doesn't get caught in your pocket. Roberts designers, please change this !

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing little radio, 23 Nov 2011
A simple, pocket FM radio. No frills, just a basic old fashioned radio. Excellent FM reception, simple controls and the 2 AA batteries last forever. In fact I am still on the first set of batteries after using all day every day for over a month.

The radio has a simple tuning light to assist in fine tuning, which is a simple rotary control. Sound is obviously basic, but perfectly acceptable for a radio of this type, which is generally intended for speech anyway.

My only small criticism is that the radio is quite thin, and with the aerial extended is top heavy, so it tends to fall over quite easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little radio, 26 April 2012
John "hedgehog1965uk" (Sutton, Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
I bought one of these radios a couple of weeks ago and love it. The build and sound quality are really very impressive for its size and price. I just wanted to make a particular point about the radio, after reading some of the other reviews. There is a reason that it is called a "portable" radio and NOT a "pocket" radio. It is not designed to be listen to whilst in your pocket. I also have a proper pocket radio (a DAB one), which I use at the gym and when I am out walking or on the train. It is tiny, does not have an inbuilt speaker and does not have a dedicated aerial cos it rather cleverly uses the earphone cable as an aerial. I bought THIS radio to use generally about the home and it is perfect for that purpose.

1.0 out of 5 stars The Roberts Radio Sports 925 is not a patch on its predecessor, the Sports 924, 11 Jan 2014
Very disappointed with the new 925. I had assumed it would be at least as good as the 924, which I understand it replaced. The big failing is the sound quality which is decidedly fuzzy, whereas the 924 sound is remarkably clear. It is painful trying to listen to classical music on the 925. I have had a succession of good 924s and my last one expired (or so I thought) when the aerial broke off - not an unusual occurrence when they are old and well used. Hence my search for a new one and ultimate purchase of the 925, as the 924 had evidently ceased production.

To cut my losses I have now taken the aerial off the new 925 and put it on my old battered 924; happily I am now back in business!

Other, less critical, problems with the new 925 are that the case is more slippery than the 924's, and therefore it is more likely to be dropped, and also the 925 is less stable when you stand it up on a flat surface, so more likely to fall over and get damaged.

I am left wondering why on earth Roberts have replaced the, by and large, excellent 5 star 924 with the seriously deficient 925?

BELATED UPDATE: I decided that the sound quality of the 925 was so poor that it must be faulty and therefore I would return the radio. Having refitted the aerial I duly returned it. I then purchased a replacement 925 - I am relieved to say that the sound quality is significantly better than the other one although still not up to the high standard of the model 924 predecessor. But at least good enough to keep.

I should also report that this replacement 925 has already suffered several bangs on the floor, thanks to its slippery case which handles rather like a bar of wet soap. Sadly I foresee this in-built obsolescence resulting soon in a terminal event.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best LW radio I own, 21 Aug 2011
M. Bronstring (Holland) - See all my reviews
Although I own a very similar Roberts R9924, I ordered the 925 Sports as well, just to compare them. I found that FM and LW are about equal on both, but that MW selectivity is actually better on the 925 Sports. Here, in the west of The Netherlands, Radio Mario on 675Khz interferes with BBC5 on 693Khz on the R9924, but on this 925, I can separate them easily.

The sound is fantastic for such a small radio; it can play louder than you think. Robustness is excellent, as I dropped it a few times on a concrete floor with no damage at all (neither to the floor, nor to the radio:)). The LW section is the best part of this radio: it is the best LW radio that I own (and I own a lot...). From my location, I regularly listen to RTE1 from Ireland; reception is not perfect, but decent enough to enjoy their good programming. BBC4 is received like it is broadcasted from a few miles away; it's that clear. During my recent holiday, I took it to the east of The Netherlands (an additional 100 kms eastward from my location), and I still got decent reception of Ireland.

If you like longwave radio as much as I do, I highly recommend this radio! FM is quite good as well, while on MW, it is not the most sensitive radio. It's not really bad on MW, and it's an improvement over the R9924, but there are better MW radios out there.

As a bonus, battery life is unbelievably good.

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware......but good, 20 Mar 2011
Due to a bit of nifty photography you cannot see that this radio has and external arial, which needs extending in order to get the best FM reception. And it does not come with ear phones so don't forget to order them if required. I bought this to replace a much loved but recently deceased predesessor to the Roberts R994 (the one without the integral loudspeaker which doesn't seem to be made any more) to listen to whilst walking the dog. That said most of my listening is Radio 4 & 5 Live on LW & MW so the arial is not a huge issue for me. The sound quality is excellent, even with the loud speaker despite it's small size. Okay it won't compete with a full size radio in the loud speaker department, this is really for listening to at close quarters in a quite space or with ear phones. If you want a kitchen/workshop radio buy something bigger. This is perfect for LW & MW on the move.

Update: I bought and reviewed this item in March 2011. Ten months later I want to update the review - and downgrade the star rating. It has moved from a four star to a three star. Don't get me wrong I still like the radio, but a couple of things about it annoy me. Firstly as one of the other reviewers pointed out the tuning and volume knobs are disturbed too easily when the radio is in your coat pocket resulting in either loss of signal or having your eardrums blown out if the knobs rub against the inside of your pocket - particularly if you bend down, which a responsible dog owner does at least once every dog walk. Secondly the reception on MW, particularly 5 Live on 693, is difficult to find. This appears to be a recent phenomenon. If you pass over the wave band the radio doesn't give e flicker of recognition or sign that you have passed over the station. The dial has to be stopped precisely on the wavelength, a fraction of a turn either side and you get nothing. LW & FW are still fine.

Overall I am a bit dissapointed in the radio - I now realise I shouldn't have been such a skinflint and bought the Roberts R9994 Radio instead.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roberts 925 sports radio, 12 Jun 2013
I bought this radio for when out long stay fishing, it has a terrific sound , picks up many stations, is light, the batteries last and last, and for the money has been a spot on purchase. It does exactly what "it says on the tin".

4.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Radio 925 -, 16 Feb 2012
Arrived in good time. Lovely little radio, good reception. Already had headset which fitted nicely. Is good size, pocket size. Very happy with it.

Roberts Radios Sports 925 3-Band Battery Portable Radio