5.0 out of 5 stars Barry White - though he's gon' his songs will live on, 19 May 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
I hark back to the glorious 70's (well they were for me) and encountering soul music in many forms. I remember a dreamy summers evening with 'a friend' and hearing a Barry White track called "Girl It's True, Yes I'll always Love You". For over 30 years I still continue to play it and it still raises the hair on my neck. Yes Barry had his own style - critics may use words like 'mushy' and 'over done' and 'drawn out' but have they listened to all of his work ? This album also contains another strong favourite of mine "Never, never gonna give you up" - what a fabulous intro. For those who may only be familiar with "You're The First, The Last etc" and "Love's Theme" - which tends to be the only hits of his that continues to get air play - then don't just 'try out' this album also explore "Rhapsody in White". Barry had such a unique voice and it should be remembered that he came from a pretty rough 'gang culture' background. With such little 'music reading' knowledge it is remarkable that he could create such incredible orchestrial pieces. Don't just listen to his voice - listen to that orchestra and its complex but interlinking sounds. If you like violins and sax - then you will find them on many of his creations - particularly on his "White Gold" album where "Barry's Love - Part 2" has a fabulous sax finish.
I'm now into my 50's, I'm a romantic by nature and as long as I and others listen to his music then the name Barry White will live on. His songs bring joy and tears and I guess also messages of love - love that he must have had in abundance. We'll miss you. Johnny F.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Love songs Ever, 16 Dec. 2001
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
I had this album on tape and vinyl when it first came out.I played it to death both at home and when driving.The man has so much soul, he could sell it.All the tracks ooze love so much so that play this album when you have company and love will flow. You can't pick out one track because they are all delicious.I still play the album but now on CD,I know you will to.This is Barry at his very best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Barry White at his very best, 31 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
In my opinion this is Barry at his best, I have owned this album in Vinyl, Cassette and now CD. The Walrus of love's music lives on forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb pre-disco Barry White, 22 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
There is an audible difference between the most known White's hits from 70's and his 2 first LP's - no disco grooves. This music is absolutely free of simplified rhythm (though it's still an easy-listening one). Why is it important? The lack of dance beat allowed Barry to show his extraordinary feeling for making orchestrations and fill music with his overwhelming voice and small instrumental parts. Listen to "Never, Never Gonna Give Ya Up" and you will feel the difference.

Important note: I've browsed almost every "best of" CD's and the majority of Barry's long tracks was severely shortened (like - a half of the music was cut out!!!). So buying this album is the only opportunity to have an entire piece in its original form.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 1 July 2013
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
I bought this cd as I wanted to hear the first track on it again. 'Girl it's true, yes I'll always love you.' This song holds some deep happy memories for me.I have the original album on vinyl but it has become very scratched through the years. When I play this cd it takes me back to the 70's and it sounds just the same as it did then minus the scratches! Love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars my first, 31 Mar. 2014
this was my first barry white tape bought for the car in the70s
played constantly,now have it on three tapes( just incase
one breaks),when i saw this on cd had to get it. if you like
barry white you will love this. nostalgia is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Barry White At His Best !, 2 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
If you ever wonder what BW album to buy , well buy this ! Only five tracks , but real quality music from beginning to a fantastic climax . I bought it in 1973 and I still look forward to hearing it . Then buy " I've Got So Much To Give " .

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old memories, 14 Jan. 2015
R. C. Chakane "MACLIVO CLAVO" (SOUTH AFRICA , GAUTENG) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
Memories ,memories! Good old memories. This CD calms me in times of the need for love. Barry does it for me when I am with someone who understands music. The CD is my treasure!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barr White at his very best., 18 May 2015
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
Great to have this album on CD. Still have the original vinyl LP which has had a lot of wear. Never tire of listening to this superb album

5.0 out of 5 stars album, 3 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Stone Gon' (Audio CD)
bought as christmas present arrived quickly and exactly what he wanted, wanted to replace old vinyl record that has been misplaced

Stone Gon'