5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!
I have a Skywatcher 130p GOTO with the stock eyepieces. The X-Cel LX is such a HUGE jump in quality! Jupiter has never looked so good! And in widescreen!

My advice is to buy this and then replace your 'stock' 10mm & 25mm eyepieces too! If you get the right focal lengths you can ditch the Barlow and get full magnification without the quality loss...
Published 23 months ago by MARK

2.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality control
I got an 18mm version of this eyepiece and was extremely pleased with the optical quality, eye relief and field of view, so ordered this 12mm one. Alas, like others have found, the lens had specks of black dust inside, one large one almost in the lens centre. Have returned to Amazon for a replacement hoping that will be what one expects of a premium eyepiece which is...
Published 7 months ago by Jasfourfun

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny!, 18 Oct 2012
MARK (Bournemouth, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

Great product, great service.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 16 Mar 2013
R. Glover - See all my reviews
The price from Hawks was cheaper than anywhere I could find.

The lens arrived in pretty slow ish time, it was dispatched some 2 or 3 days after my order. Still it arrived, once we had a clear night, I fitted it to my NexStar 5SE & the image was great. More than doubled the image compared to the standard Plossl & a nice sharp image to go with it, bringing out the band details on the planet.

Can't wait to get out in the country for some real dark skies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron x-cel lx 18mm - 1.25" eyepiece, 5 Feb 2013
Thie Celestron x-cel lx 18mm - 1.25" eyepiece is really well made and has provided a significant improvement in the quality of viewing. For example the banding on Jupiter is easily seen with this eyepiece and my celestron nexstar 102 gt scope. It is worth the money!

5.0 out of 5 stars Celestron X-Cel LX 18mm - !.25 Inch Eyepiece., 17 Jun 2013
I chose the the 18mm eyepiece as it gives good magnification for deep sky objects such as galaxies and planetary nebulae. My new telescope is a Celestron NexStar SLT 127mm. It has a focal length of 1500mm, so the magnification is 1500 divided by 18 = 83 times. The eyepiece is much better than the two standard eyepieces that came with the scope, both in field size, ( difficult to judge as the two that came were 25 & 9 mm.)and also field clarity, ( more easily judged.) I live in the north of Scotland where we are blessed with little light polution, however at this time of year, June, the skies never get dark. Despite this the 18mm eyepiece works well at spliting double stars i was particularly pleased to split Polaris, it has a fairly wide seperation of 18.4 seconds of an arc but the primary is very bright 2.0, and the companion dim 9.0. As the experience has been so good i intend to buy the entire range of Celestron X-Cel eyepieces over the next few years, without going below 5mm, ( my telescopes 300 times magnification limit ) making the 12mm eyepiece my next purchace. Philips " Stargazing with a Telescope " by Robin Scagell, says : "Top of the accessories list is extra eyepieces." I recommend the 18mm X-Cel LX Eyepiece.

I bought the eyepiece from Amazon. It arrived promptly despite my remote UK location. Amazon are one off very few companies that do not add hefty postage charges to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pay The Price For Quality, 12 Mar 2014
Adam Finn (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
In the field of eyepieces (excuse the pun) it really does make a difference if you pay that little bit extra. If we are talking about magnifying 200+ times you should appreciate the sensitivity these instruments have to build quality.

With the Clestron X-Cel you are paying in some cases more than double a cheaper alternative, but in return you wont be buying twice and you will notice (if you have any others) the stunning difference in image quality. This particular piece comes highly recommended and the field of view is fantastically wide - great for the moon!

5.0 out of 5 stars X-Cel LX 12mm eyepiece., 7 Aug 2013
This review is from: Celestron X-Cel LX 12mm - 1.25 inch Eyepiece (Electronics)
This is my second X-Cel LX eyepiece, a few months back I purchased an 18mm one. ( See my review on Amazon.) Once again I have not been disappointed, this wide field eyepiece gives remarkably good viewing for the money spent. The best 12mm eyepiece on the market is said to be the Tele Vue Delos, however at nearly 300 it is well out of my price range. Another thing I like is that the eyepiece is parfocal in the X-Cel LX range, I now do not have to refocus with my 18mm, good time saving in the dark !

A word of caution, this is my second X-Cel LX 12mm eyepiece. Above I have rated the eyepiece as a five star product, which undoubtedly it is. However my first eyepiece only merited one possibly two stars. The box it arrived in was damaged, and the general condition of the eyepiece was poor. Dust and a piece of fluff inside the sealed lenses. This I might have lived with. However under a cloudy day time sky I pointed my telescope at a uniformly grey cloud and fitted the eyepiece without tightening the two location screws. Slowly using my fingers I rotated the eyepiece, now anything that turned must be on or inside. The dust now showed clearly, but what concerned me was an area of distortion about 20 arc seconds diameter near the centre of view, the centre of which had a black speck about five arc seconds diameter.( My other three eyepieces do not have this, ruling out collimation. )

The eyepiece was returned to the seller, and I purchased my super new 12mm X-Cel LX from Hawks through Amazon. The lesson I have learned, Confirmed by looking at United States and UK websites, is Celestron might well have quality control issues. But keep faith in Celestron, the eyepiece is a masterpiece of good design and I would have no hesitation in telling people to buy them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth it's price, 29 April 2013
This review is from: Celestron X-Cel LX 12mm - 1.25 inch Eyepiece (Electronics)
The quality in this EP compared to the standard EP that came with my NexStar 4SE is incredible.

The optics are way, way better and the overall build quality is miles ahead.

Sure, you can find even better EP's, ofc, but not at this price.

I'm going to buy more X-Cel LX's.

Very happy with this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars X-cell 9mm, 16 Jun 2013
Arrived very quickly. I had previously ordered a 7mm from another supplier that failed to turn up! So I got a refund and purchased this one! Used it with my Nexstar130. Far better than the supplied eyepieces.

5.0 out of 5 stars one of the best, 13 Jan 2014
I think the X-cell is one of the best eyepieces riguarding the quality and price.i am so happy with that.

5.0 out of 5 stars celestron eyepieces, 14 May 2014
These eyepieces are just a dream, am starting to collect the whole set, you will not get better for the price. Lovely build and finish with loads of eye relief.

Celestron X-Cel LX 12mm - 1.25 inch Eyepiece