Size: 12mm|Change

on 17 June 2013
I chose the the 18mm eyepiece as it gives good magnification for deep sky objects such as galaxies and planetary nebulae. My new telescope is a Celestron NexStar SLT 127mm. It has a focal length of 1500mm, so the magnification is 1500 divided by 18 = 83 times. The eyepiece is much better than the two standard eyepieces that came with the scope, both in field size, ( difficult to judge as the two that came were 25 & 9 mm.)and also field clarity, ( more easily judged.) I live in the north of Scotland where we are blessed with little light polution, however at this time of year, June, the skies never get dark. Despite this the 18mm eyepiece works well at spliting double stars i was particularly pleased to split Polaris, it has a fairly wide seperation of 18.4 seconds of an arc but the primary is very bright 2.0, and the companion dim 9.0. As the experience has been so good i intend to buy the entire range of Celestron X-Cel eyepieces over the next few years, without going below 5mm, ( my telescopes 300 times magnification limit ) making the 12mm eyepiece my next purchace. Philips " Stargazing with a Telescope " by Robin Scagell, says : "Top of the accessories list is extra eyepieces." I recommend the 18mm X-Cel LX Eyepiece.

I bought the eyepiece from Amazon. It arrived promptly despite my remote UK location. Amazon are one off very few companies that do not add hefty postage charges to the Highlands and Islands of Scotland.
on 18 October 2012
I have a Skywatcher 130p GOTO with the stock eyepieces. The X-Cel LX is such a HUGE jump in quality! Jupiter has never looked so good! And in widescreen!

My advice is to buy this and then replace your 'stock' 10mm & 25mm eyepieces too! If you get the right focal lengths you can ditch the Barlow and get full magnification without the quality loss.

Great product, great service.
on 5 February 2013
Thie Celestron x-cel lx 18mm - 1.25" eyepiece is really well made and has provided a significant improvement in the quality of viewing. For example the banding on Jupiter is easily seen with this eyepiece and my celestron nexstar 102 gt scope. It is worth the money!
on 16 March 2013
The price from Hawks was cheaper than anywhere I could find.

The lens arrived in pretty slow ish time, it was dispatched some 2 or 3 days after my order. Still it arrived, once we had a clear night, I fitted it to my NexStar 5SE & the image was great. More than doubled the image compared to the standard Plossl & a nice sharp image to go with it, bringing out the band details on the planet.

Can't wait to get out in the country for some real dark skies.
on 12 July 2015
I ordered this eyepiece based on the reviews and because I wanted a quality EP which would give me good eye relief. When the eyepiece arrived I was pleased to see that looked and felt like a quality piece of kit. It has a comfortable weighty feel and when I inserted it into my 80mm Skywatcher ST refractor I could clearly see that the image (in daylight) was crisp with very little CA and decent edge sharpness.

So why only three stars? Because, apart from the overall sharpness of the optics, I could clearly make out some translucent debris at the edge of the field of view. I rotated the EP in the scope and the debris moved round in a circle indicating that it was in the EP and not the scope. Worse still, as I rotated the EP several particles of dirt, grit or perhaps paint flecks became visible and also rotated. I used my rocket blower to clean the outer surfaces of the EP and re-tested. Sure enough the particles were still visible and still rotated.

I did consider keeping the eyepiece, after all I would be using it mostly at night, but let's be honest, why should I accept an eyepiece costing £60 which is contaminated with dirt? Also I've had experience of another celestron eyepiece which came with my SLT 127 Mak which had a lump of glue stuck to the bottom lens element! On that occasion I gave the EP away because I knew I would be upgrading very soon anyway.

So bottom line - I've returned the EP for full refund and I will probably invest in a similar spec. Skywatcher EP. It's a shame that Celestron do not seem to have a good grip on their quality control processes.
on 22 October 2015
I held off on buying this for a while because of the price, but with the dark nights closing in I finally caved and bought the 18mm (and shortly after I ordered the 5mm too!). Boy do I not regret it! This eyepiece blows the kit 25mm that came with my telescope out of the water. I love the design, the extra grip you get from the rubber surround really helps when handling, and the rubber ring around the top of the eyepiece can be extended out to give you a more comfortable resting distance for your eye. The eyepiece itself is large, making it much easier for you to look through (think standard TV versus widescreen!) and the quality of the image is super sharp. I'd recommend the 18mm particularly for moon viewing, it frames the moon perfectly (on my telescope anyway, which has a focal length of 1500mm). With the 5mm I get a similar view than I was getting with my old 10mm+Barlow lens but without the image distortion, the view remains nice and sharp. I can't wait to point this thing at Jupiter!
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 April 2013
The quality in this EP compared to the standard EP that came with my NexStar 4SE is incredible.

The optics are way, way better and the overall build quality is miles ahead.

Sure, you can find even better EP's, ofc, but not at this price.

I'm going to buy more X-Cel LX's.

Very happy with this one.
on 16 June 2013
Arrived very quickly. I had previously ordered a 7mm from another supplier that failed to turn up! So I got a refund and purchased this one! Used it with my Nexstar130. Far better than the supplied eyepieces.
on 12 April 2015
Solid and seems well made. Better than other 7mm plossl low cost lenses. Good eye relief. Compared to similar priced Seben 8mm to 24mm zoom find that the Seben is slightly sharper which surprised me being that the Seben is a zoom and would expect slight distortion - (includes using Seben with 2x barlow with zoom set at 14mm so matching the 7mm). May be conditional on the object viewed and atmospheric conditions. All in all better than standard plossl low cost eyepieces but would question against similar priced similar spec manufacturers - updated review - found this really comes into it's own for lunar and some planetary viewing so increased the rating!
on 13 April 2014
ordered these to fill a gap in my ep collection and they are just brilliant, so much so that i am collecting a full set. beautiful viewa

See one answered question