5.0 out of 5 stars Must-have Verdi, 18 May 2011
This review is from: Verdi: Aida (Audio CD)
I've ploughed through many of the studio recordings of Aida (both Cetra recordings, both Tebaldi recordings, the Callas, the Milanov, the Nilsson and the classic Caballe/Muti) but this is the one that holds the top notch.

Leontyne Price's voice is young and sweet. Vickers was a strange choice, given who was knocking around, but he is undeniably an heroic Radames. Gorr is absolutely superb (why she was not dragged into the recording studio more I'll never know) and Merrill is warm and rich in tone, but Solti is the star. He draws a huge sound from the Rome Opera Orchestra, though I also have to give credit to Giuseppe Conca for the sound that the chorus produce - the bass priests' honeyed tones are beautiful.

Price and Merrill fighting it out in act III is one of my all-time favourite moments of recorded opera. Many people would, understandably, suggest the Caballe/Muti recording but please at least try this one first - I love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars highly recommended, 21 Oct 2012
This review is from: Verdi: Aida (Audio CD)
Prior to buying this CD, I knew only a couple of the most popular and frequently played pieces from Aida. Wishing to hear the rest of the opera, I was most impressed by the reviews for this particular version. I'm glad to say the reviewers are correct in their claims that this is an excellent version (despite the pretty awful cover, which , I'm ashamed to say, influenced me enough to make me overlook this CD several times). I can't say I'm familiar enough with Aida to comment on factors such as instrumentation or the conductor's interpretation; but, for my taste, it is as good as I could have wished for. Definitely worth your consideration.

5.0 out of 5 stars cd, 23 April 2013
This review is from: Verdi: Aida (Audio CD)
As review for music for a royal wedding. CD put away until needed Why do I have to write more words than I want to?

Verdi: Aida
Verdi: Aida by Guiseppi Verdi (Audio CD - 2011)