5.0 out of 5 stars Structured learning of argumentation theory
'As I am currently studying argumentation theory I happily stumbled across Keal' Win an argument. In this book he lays down 40 techniques of debate and argumentation, ranging from rhetoric to logical fallacy, laid out in no particular order, but each one if studied and mastered can help your debating skills develop exponentially.

Unlike other of this genre I...
Published on 31 Dec. 2010 by Den

1.0 out of 5 stars It was so awful I returned it!
Published on 18 Feb. 2013 by In My Opinion

5.0 out of 5 stars Structured learning of argumentation theory, 31 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Win an Argument: 40 Stratagems & Drills To Verbally Crush Any Opponent (Kindle Edition)

Unlike other of this genre I have read, Keal attempts to place a learning plan of bulleted points, in an attempt to master these 40 techniques. I have to say using these learning techniques it may well take a while to learn all 40 debating techniques, however if the plan is followed you will have mastered a new and very interesting skill.

No longer will you be brow beaten by bad logical arguments, personal attacks or clever rhetoric on the part of the opponent, this book will allow you to debate with others with clear head, a route map for where the debate is headed and the ability to bat away any red herrings that are thrown at you.

Top rate book, not so much for the 40 techniques, but the way Keal has cleverly instigated a study plan to give it an authenticity of Academic work. As mentioned most books give the fallacies, the examples, but no structure as to how to master these other than rote and recall, Keal does a much better job of teaching the student how to learn these techniques to become automatic.

Best,

Den.

1.0 out of 5 stars It was so awful I returned it!, 18 Feb. 2013
I just didn't like this after I bought it. I am not sure what it is really trying to do but win arguments it is not. It gives you loads of "sound bites" which are really nothing more than taking the opposite view of the other person. The issue is once you've delivered the sound sound bite you've locked yourself into a position with no techniques to follow it up in any sustained and coherent argument - just more irritating shallow sound bites!

One reviewer claimed he "punched his opponent" who got this book out and tried to use these arguments on him, now I can see why. Anyone using these shallow sound bites is going to be so irritating I can well imagine they would get thumped! It's not so much a book on winning arguments as: "how NOT to win friends and influence people" .... or maybe, "how to be so irritating you get yourself punched in the face ...."

It really is rubbish. So much so, I gave it back to Amazon for a refund!

My advice - find a better product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Win an Argument by Arthur Keal, 17 Jan. 2014
Rubbish, not recommended for reading. Read in approximately 9minutes. If I had another 11 words to describe this " book" I could have written a novel myself.'m

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars, 18 July 2014
couldn't get into this ....

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful tips., 4 Dec. 2012
Interesting read. Some useful tips for winning arguments. Worth keeping in your back pocket. Would make a useful Xmas present for those that appreciate this type of text.

3.0 out of 5 stars Debate this!, 8 Sept. 2012
I had an altercation in the Thornhill on the Cally road with some geezer about who was better in the England midfield, Lampard or Steevie G. The row got heated when I said the best thing Fat Lumpard did in an England shirt was score against germany in the last world cup..oh, wait. Then this mug pulls out this book and goes "what matters is your ability to defend any side, not what you actually believe to be true. Understanding how all sides of the argument can be proved will make you a much more powerful debater". So I punched him in the face.
I think *I* won that debate