5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas spirit
If you're looking for a novel to get you into the spirit of Christmas, this is the book for you. Feisty and self-sufficient Holly is determined that Christmas is going to be just another day, but Fate has other plans in store, in the shape of gorgeous Jude - who's also anxious to avoid getting up to anything too festive.

Snowbound in the wilds of Lancashire,...
Published on 3 Nov 2010 by Lally

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant Xmas read
Quite a pleasant read with a lovely Christmas feel, which is what I was looking for but was a bit disappointed in the end as it was too predictable. There was very little drama, just everyday events, and no twists and turns. The ending was nice but too predictable.
Published on 15 Dec 2010 by judyprm

3.0 out of 5 stars Too predictable, 5 Jan 2011
I can't say that I didn't enjoy this book - that wouldn't be true. But it was so formulaic with not a single surprise that I was left feeling a bit cheated. It didn't help that I felt that the main character was rather confused. Partly a warm and sensitive person, part an outspoken (and sometimes quite rude) individual. And I couldn't get excited about the cooking references. As a keen cook myself, I found some of the suggested recipes and techniques completely unbelievable in a character who proclaimed herself to be a chef.
But - in spite of all of that - it was an easy read for a cold winter's day in front of the fire. I would read another book by this author if somebody gave it to me, but I doubt I would buy one for myself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 4 Jan 2011
I loved this book and would recommend it for anyone. Although it is of a Christmas theme it can be read anytime of the year. I am going to buy more books by Trisa.

3.0 out of 5 stars 3.5 Stars, 13 Dec 2010
C. Rucroft "The little bookworm" (North Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This was a lovely read for Christmas time. The story is very festive and gives you that feel-good feeling. It also has some lovely Christmas recipes in the back.

It only gets 3.5 stars because it was just a little bit unbelievable. This wouldn't have been such a problem if it had been outstandingly written, but it wasn't. Sometimes when the characters were speaking it felt very disjointed and not natural at all. I could see the ending coming a mile off.

I'm still glad I have read it and is one of the better festive reads I have read. I look forward to reading more by Trisha Ashley.

4.0 out of 5 stars warm reading, 7 Dec 2010
A great book to curl up to an loose yourself for a few hours. There are quite a few likable characters at the beginning which help you with the storyline. The story skips you along through the various cooking and happenings of each day, maybe a little more detail about the aunt etc might have been a little interesting but overall a lovely read.

4.0 out of 5 stars sweet, 30 Nov 2010
Amazon Customer "anitamcskimming" (derby england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
predictable chic lit but i love christmas books and this keeps you reading til the end. the end is a bit rushed after all the build up.
The lead male character is a bit hard to picture in my mind and that he is a sculptor is even more hard to think of but still good characters and good enough read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this christmas book., 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Twelve Days of Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I really loved this one- got me into the festive spirit. Holly takes on a housesitting job and unexpectedly finds herself in charge of organising a huge house party for the house owner's relatives and a couple of people stranded in the village by the snowstorm.

2.0 out of 5 stars Tries too hard, cliched, dull and far too many !'s, 20 Dec 2012
This review is from: Twelve Days of Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I rarely don't finish a book, but i'm not sure I can stomach any more of this. Clichéd and dull, the characters are uninspiring, and the author is trying to emulate several styles but completely unsuccessfully pulls any of them off. The way the main character talks is incredibly irritating and false ("Please do call me Holly"), and every other sentence is punctuated with !

I've certainly read worse, but the author seems to be trying too hard, and it doesn't work. Avoid. It hasn't got me in the Christmas spirit at all, it's just annoyed me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Tis the Season to be Jolly!, 23 Dec 2010
M. J. Saxton (Dewsbury, West Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This is a real "put your feet up with a hot drink and enjoy" book. Trisha Ashley is so good at characters and setting: a big house in a remote village in the snow with a slightly eccentric family to populate it. Great stuff.

Somehow you get caught up in the whole setting, it is so easy to imagine the house, the village and the surrounding area and it is a pleasurable place to spend time.

To the early scenes of Holly and Laura laying out the premise of Holly's reaction against Christmas are gradually added layers of what becomes her family over the Christmas period. Tilda, the ex TV chef, is one of my favourites even though she has no great role to play; Becca is the brilliantly horsey aunt with the eminently sensible Britishness of the countryside about her.

Even Merlin and Lady, the animal characters, are deeply endearing creations. Jess is one of those kids you think would be fun to have around in a big house. Coco - what can I say? - just enough of the bitch about her to be funny with an underlying bit of sadness so you don't completely hate her.

As for Jude, what a hero! I loved the moodiness married to the creative artist and some of the scenes about him creating the sculpture are so believable.

Not only does the author portray a good old family festive season, but she also creates a very believable village tradition with The Revels which makes you sort of nostalgic for those often forgotten little village seasonal events.

The addition of recipes at the back of the book for some of the food cooked in it is a great bonus.

This is quite a Christmas romp and should be thoroughly enjoyed as such. It is a great example of British comic writing tradition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarmingly good, 3 Aug 2014
This review is from: Twelve Days of Christmas (Kindle Edition)
Just loved this book. Easy to read. Lovely story. finished within the day.
If you need cheering up this is a lovely family story.

1.0 out of 5 stars Cliche ridden dated and dull, 17 Feb 2012
Lesley boughton (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twelve Days of Christmas (Kindle Edition)
I still can't work out why I finished this - possibly because I was curious to see just how many cliches I could count. Tragic heroine - check; handsome actor - turns out to be gay - check; pretty vacuous model - bulimic - check - strong (rich) silent hero - check; ruddy faced twinkley eyed farmer George - check. Holly is just plain boring; as is her "fine dining". If her recipe book is a best seller - I'm Delia Smith. Her prose is sprinkled with the use of brackets and inappropriate exclamation marks almost as often as her trifles are sprinkled with hundreds and thousands and squirty cream. There are no interesting characters; merely stereotypes marshalled and ministered unto by our reluctant do-gooder dim heroine Holly. Am I tempted by her recipes or subsequent novels? Both would give me indigestion. The whole feel of the book is dated, and were it not for the use of SatNav (predictably taking the characters down the wrong route) and mobile phones that can't get a signal, you would be excused for thinking that it was set in the sixties when no self respecting buffet was complete without a grapefruit hedgehog. Sorry Trisha - not so much Twelth Night - more Love's Labours Lost.

Twelve Days of Christmas