5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Toasty
Published on 24 Mar. 2012 by M.A.M

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but not as good as the larger version
I purchased this item for use in my office kitchen as I have the larger "family size" version which I use at home. The problem with this smaller version is that is doesn't have the same floating plates so will squash your sandwich or panini at one end while not toasting the other side properly. This causes the fillings to fall out and means you have to turn it around...
Published on 6 Jan. 2013 by Lucy1038

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice and Toasty, 24 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Breville VST025 Sandwich Press, Stainless Steel (Kitchen & Home)
Though slightly smaller than I imagined, able only to make two regular-sized sandwiches at a time, this is definiely a class bit of kit. It's solid, wipe-clean, and doesn't leave any of the disgusting residue you normally get with sandwich makers - nor is there any of the usual "non-stick" muck that peels off after a few sarnies. The lock, which I've seen a number of reviews complain about, is fine so I'm not sure if it's been updated or I've got away with a better catch than most.

Speedwise it's great when you need a snack on the go - and I haven't yet managed to actually burn the bread beyond repair, even when I left it a little too long between the press. In fact, if you go for a very dark toasted sandwich this may not be the toaster for you. I was originally worried the thing wasn't cooking properly, since it only seemed to darken the corners, but - lo and behold! - the contents were warmed and melted through to cheesy-tuna satisfaction. I've cooked sausages on its griddle too - and they've come out more than satisfactory, though perhaps not to the level of a George Foreman grill. Still, for the price and the sandwich-y goodness, this thing is infinitely superior to any other toaster I've had - and has had more use in the last month than the one it replaced saw in years.

Very much recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, 19 Oct. 2011
Having bought an £8 sandwich maker from tesco - and having made about a dozen toasties on it before the non stck coating came off - cheese melting out of the sides, into the hinges and having to butter the outside of the bread before putting in the machine - decided I needed something better if I was to continue enjoying toasties!
I looked at all the feedback on the Breville VST025. The price was reasonable - so sent off for it - arrived next day. Here are the plus points as against the £8 machine.
1. Dont have to butter the outsides of the bread.
2. Takes 2 sandwiches of any sized bread - including large loaves.
3. It heats up in about 2mins - quicker than the time it takes me to prep the sanwiches.
4. Does a perfect cheese toastie in 4 mins.
5. Cleaning is a breeze, qick swipe with a paper towel - done.
6. Can cook foods other than bread - although I haven't tried that yet.
7. Looks good.
Negative points against the £8 machine.
1. other than it being more expensive - can't name another minus.
In general, this is a good VFM piece of kit. I am very well pleased with the performance and would recommend it to anyone.Breville VST025 Sandwich Press

5.0 out of 5 stars More than just a sandwich toaster, 28 Oct. 2011
I bought this to replace a sandwich toaster that was well past its best. I've subsequently used to grill steaks and chops as well as make toasted sandwiches and paninis. It works a treat and simply wipes clean afterwards. Highly recommended and great value for money.

5.0 out of 5 stars REVOLUTIONARY, 9 Nov. 2012
THIS IS EXCELLENT.
THIS TOASTER HAS REVOLUTIONIZED MY LUNCHTIMES.
I CANNOT STRESS HOW GREAT THIS IS.
I HAVE TOASTED EVERYTHING I OWN.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toasted, 23 May 2011
I preordered this product on 25th Feb 2011 and was getting impatient when it finally arrived on 20 May 2011. It was worth the wait.

I bought it because my previous toaster was cleverly made 1/4" smaller than a slice of bread all the way round, so when clamped shut and cooking all the ingredients melted into the hinges, cables, feet and worktop.

This one is 1/2" bigger than a slice of bread all the way round - result perfect toasted sandwiches with NO (thats NO) mess. Easy wipe clean flat non stick surface.

The only negative point is that the designer was standing on their head when they designed it or they forgot gravity exisisted. The unit has a storage lock to keep it together when stored vertically but the lock position is at the top so when you store it on end gravity forces the lock down and the unit falls open. This is a minor oversight but a little bit silly.

For this reason no five stars I'm afraid. Have now changed my mind its so good it deserves 5 stars anyway!!

Best sandwich - Bacon and Onion. Put 2 rashers of bacon and some sliced onion in the press and cook, meanwhile butter the outside of 2 slices of white bread and slice a tomato. When the bacon and onion have cooked put them with the tomato in the sandwich wipe off any burnt stuff with kitchen paper from the toaster and toast for 2-3 mins - wow.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but uneven, 21 May 2013
This is a great product and makes tasty paninis and sandwiches however I've found that using the handle gives an uneven press as the lid tilts up when you pull the handle down. I've found that manually pressing on the lid with a tea towel (as the lid gets hot!) for the first minute of cooking will result in more even grilling across the sandwich (as the lid remains level) - otherwise you have to rotate the panini/sandwhich mid way through cooking to ensure it is even.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yes a winner - great toasties and so so easy to clean!, 23 Dec. 2011
Mrs. L. E. Allen "linda" (brighton) - See all my reviews
Read reviews, bought 2, one for me and one for my son as a gift. Absolutely best sandwich toaster I have owned. Great that you do not have to use any fat on outside of sandwich if you don't want to. Great that it can be wiped clean. Great that it takes all shapes and sizes. Agree that the slider catch is badly designed so cannot store on its side as it opens again. Not a problem if you have plenty of space but annoying not to have that option because of an oversight on part of designers. Otherwise top product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sandwich toaster, 19 Mar. 2012
This sandwich press is way way better than any other I have seen or owned. You can fit two whole sandwiches side by side without squashing them. The lid comes down and just sits on top of the bread and toasts it quickly and evenly. What I like best though is the fact it is very easy to clean. The cooking surface is flat and smooth and the sides come up cleanly with no extraneous bits of metal to trap food. The hinge between the cooking surface and the lid is also minimalist and the whole design means that no food touches any part other than the cooking surface and the lid - the lid is the same as the base - beautifully simple. I think this is a brilliant bit of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile sandwich maker, 24 Jun. 2011
This gadget is a must have in the kitchen.

Not only does it make my favorite toasted sandwich (cheese and pineapple) we use it in our household for many other favorite recipes.

First off with the design. The flat plates make this gadget handy for alot more than toasted sandwiches.

We use it almost like a frying pan but with way less fat. We cook eggs (fried or omelet style), make pancakes or pikelets, cook sausages, bacon, chicken, beef, pork, chops, patties and even fish. We also cook vegetables like carrots, courgettes, beans, asparagus whatever you like. Just about whatever you cook in a frying pan can be done in this sandwich maker. The sky is the limit on ideas for recipes here.

It is a nice size to make a meal for yourself as you can put everything on it at once if you wish or can be used to cook bigger meals for your family.

There is a hot plate on the bottom and on the lid so heat is distributed quite evenly and cooking some foods is quite quick and it browns the food as well.

And when you are done and have allowed the sandwich maker to cool, you just simply clean up with a paper towel or damp cloth as the plates are non stick.

This gadget is so easy to use you will be glad you bought it. It is one of our most used gadgets in our kitchen.

I highly recommend it to others.

Go on give it a try. I bet you'd love it as much as we do.

Happy shopping

5.0 out of 5 stars Breville Grill, 6 July 2012
Amazon Customer (Lincolnshire, England) - See all my reviews
I purchased this after reading the reviews, primarily for panini's, although it can do many other foods. The reviews are accurate, it makes great panini's whether they are large, small or in between. The non stick plates are quality and we haven't had a 'cold' sandwich for ages. Highly recommended!