4.0 out of 5 stars Really great but a few issues you should be aware of.
I have previously owned both the Tefal Quick Cup (which is fast but the water was not hot enough for my liking) and the first generation of the Breville Hot Cup. The Breville Hot Cup worked perfectly, but 18 months of use in a very hard water area means it now dispenses large quantities of limescale along with the water despite regular de-scaling.

When I saw...
Published on 7 Mar. 2011 by Shaun Horrigan

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, Awful Taste!
Published on 15 Feb. 2013 by Sky_Captain

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great but a few issues you should be aware of., 7 Mar. 2011
Shaun Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breville VKJ367 Brita Filter Hot Cup with Variable Dispenser (Kitchen & Home)

When I saw this new model with variable dispense and an inbuilt filter, I decided that it was time for the old Hot Cup to be honourably retired.

The first thing to say about the new version is that it looks great. It really does look like an expensive and well made product and its smart chrome design will grace any kitchen.

From opening the box, set up takes a few minutes. There is no need to pre-soak the Brita Maxtra cartridge, but you do need to discard the first couple of tanks of water to ensure the inside of the kettle is perfectly clean before use.

This leads me on to the first thing to bear in mind if you decide to buy this product. As the kettle contains a filter, the water needs to run from the top water container, through the filter, and into the lower reservoir. The top container only holds about 1/3rd of the water required to fill the lower chamber to the maximum. It therefore takes about five minutes to totally fill the kettle from empty. This won't be a problem as long as you remember to refill it after you use it, but could be a bit frustrating if you are dying for a cup of tea and the last person to use it left it empty. The top filter tank is removable though, so I suppose you could use the kettle without filtering the water, but that defeats the purpose of getting this model.

Once filled you have the choice of 9 different cup sizes. This is a huge improvement over the earlier version that dispensed only one preset amount of water. However, the second thing to bear in mind is that the largest size setting is still only a reasonable sized mug full of water and you still need to do two dispenses to make a jug of instant gravy for instance. The smallest setting is only around 1/3rd of a smallish cup.

Upon pressing the power button, the front of the kettle and the see through water reservoir both light up with a stylish blue light. A few seconds later you can hear the sound of water beginning to boil followed by a slight whoosh and click as the water starts to be dispensed after about 35 seconds with a full mug being delivered in 45 seconds. The water really is very hot, very close to boiling I would say, and considerably hotter than the Tefal Quick Cup. The combination of filtered water that is also very close to being genuinely boiling makes a fine cup of tea. The difference between this and my old kettle was instantly noticeable in both the colour and taste of a cup of tea.

The last thing I must point out is that this is a very heavy kettle. The weight when full is 4.35Kg, almost 10lb. My wife suffers from fibromyalgia and has had operations on both hands for repetitive strain related injury. She really struggled to lift this kettle to fill it under the tap, and once it was full she just did not feel safe carrying it. We now have a small jug by the sink with which to fill the kettle. It's not a huge problem, but it is something to consider if you are thinking about buying this for someone with weak hands or wrists or for an elderly person.

Overall - 4 stars. A really stylish, good looking product that makes a great cup of tea, but with a few issues you need to be aware of before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST TEA EVER, 28 Sept. 2011
I had previously owned another so called one cup maker that only heated water to 95oC and failed miserably to make a decent cup of Tea, this actually boils the filtered water and makes the best cuppa yet with no hard water scum, I drink my tea without milk or sugar so the taste of the Tea itself is very important and this is what you get with the Brita Filter, just water at the right temperature in about 45 seconds which is far faster than a kettle and you only boil water that you use for your cuppa. those people that say you can't use it to make a sauce should either learn how to make their own sauces instead of opening a packet or use a kettle, after all this is called a HOT CUP not a kettle. The review title says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased, 15 Jun. 2011
I ordered this yesterday after reading all the reviews on this and similar products, and it arrived this evening - brilliant service.

I am delighted with it, and even hubby, who was sceptical at first, has been suitably impressed.

I have very boring problems with long boring names affecting my hands so I've been in the habit of filling kettles by jug for so long I'm always surprised when other people don't! A lightweight jug is an absolute must to fill this machine - some might see that as a drawback, I don't.

It is actually much smaller than I was expecting! The footprint of the heater base *without the drip tray* is the same as my old kettle. It is somewhat taller, but doesn't take up half the worktop as I was expecting it to. Keeping the kettle alongside for cooking or making multiple cups of tea (ie more than 3) is not going to be an issue. I have used a rival make of water boiler on family visits and (sorry family!) this is quieter and produces water that is far far hotter. True it's not quite as quick, but speed wasn't really a consideration when I made my choice. I'd rather wait a few seconds for the boiling-hot water to be honest.

The mug size is perfect for our crockery, too. Reviewers who have commented that it only just fills their mugs, or doesn't fill them enough, must have huge mugs! I haven't measured the size of my biggest mug in ccs, but I have several different sizes of mug, and the largest is filled to perfection at the biggest setting. Only my tall hot choccy mugs won't fit under the tap, but they're hot choccy mugs for hot choccy so it's not an issue lol!

Did I say I'm delighted? I am. I will update in a few months' time, as I find reviews that revisit products after a decent period of use are the most helpful. But so far, it gets a big thumbs up from me. No more danger of scalds from boiling water spilling from kettles I've dropped or thrown across the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Nov. 2011
Really glad i purchased this, does exactly wot it says in description and does make a great cup of tea or coffee. makes a hot drink in minutes and doesn`t heat all the water up so not wasting electricity by reboiling the same water over and over

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally excellent, 31 Mar. 2011
S. Lindgren - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit being sceptical when I first ordered this, but since it arrived, the only time the old kettle has been used has been for filling the cafetiere. For the rest of the time, the Breville has completely usurped its place.

It's not without some issues, as others have noted. It's most easily filled by water from a jug, rather than manhandling the whole thing over to the sink. Personally, I don't find this to be a hardship. And it doesn't dispense a gallon of water, even on the largest of its adjustable settings. If you like very large cups / mugs, then you'll need a couple of boils. Again, given the extremely quick boiling time, I haven't found this to be of major concern, although the option of a larger quantity would obviously be a useful improvement for future models.

Otherwise, it's great. Very quick boiling time, it's a doddle to use and keep clean, looks good, has the useful manual stop safty feature in case of miscalulation (or if you just want a top-up) and the filter is very effective. I live in a hard water area, so this is a major postitive. Overall, worth the money, from my point of view.

1.0 out of 5 stars Nice Idea, Awful Taste!, 15 Feb. 2013
I ended up purchasing this as my partner suffers with a rare and aggressive form of RA so lifting an everyday item such as a kettle was extremely painful. When it arrived the Amazon packaging was undamaged but upon opening we noticed that there was also a large crack by the handle from what I can only guess was an over tightened screw which had spread as far as the lid and a strong chemical smell almost like TCP. A replacement was sent by Amazon and this one was sent back.

When the replacement arrived it was in perfect condition (how the first one should have been) but again we noticed the TCP like smell. After reading several of the reviews on here I used 2 lots of descaler and over 20 liters of water but the smell and taint to the water still remained. I contacted Breville customer services who seemed disinterested and who just advised me to send it back to Amazon. Not wanting to admit defeat I decided to persevere for a while longer and tried white vinegar and lemon juice, neither of these made any change to the awful smell and taint to the water so this was sent back for a refund.

What a waste of time and money!

1.0 out of 5 stars Breville is not a brand to trust, 12 Feb. 2013
Damon Jebb (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of the Breville filter hot water dispensers about 3 months ago. There's a terrible tcp-like taint to the water when it comes out and no amount of cleaning up has reduced it. Having decided that it really is never going to get any better I called Breville to ask them about it. When asked whether I could be guaranteed to get a product that was not tainted if I took a replacement I was told that it was not possible to give that guarantee as they have not resolved the manufacturing problem. The bottom line is they know they have a manufacturing fault but they can't work out what it is.

It's a shame because the idea of the product is great; reduce energy usage by only heating as much water as you need and takes a lot less time to boil a couple of cups of water. It ought to be a winner, especially with a filter as we have exceptionally hard water here.

There are many other reviews around the web about this product having a disgusting smell/taste to the water that comes from it (which I wish I had noticed prior to buying it), so my recommendation to anyone looking for one of these products is to look for products from alternative suppliers as Breville are apparently happy to continue to provide their customers with sub-standard products in the hope that sufficient of us will not complain about the taste/smell.

Breville is not a brand I will be looking at nor trust again!

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a super-kettle!, 10 Dec. 2011
Lee Haywood (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
I was somewhat reluctant to buy this kettle at first, since the reviews weren't quite overwhelming and I didn't want to end up with an expensive dud.

But... I absolutely love it! I had a Brita filter kettle before, but this one blows my old one out of the water. Some reviewers have unreasonably given bad ratings because the Hot Cup only boils one cup at a time - shame on them for buying it in the first place if they didn't know what they were getting.

It's quick and as easy as pressing a button, since it dispenses the water for you. It has 3 compartments for the water... Water put in at the top goes through the filter into the middle compartment. The boiling takes place in a hidden space under a metal plate, and when it's done there's a satisfying hiss as it 're-loads' with a cupful of water - the visible water level drops suddenly, in an instant. It holds a good 3-4 cupfuls of water, and thanks to the separation you can even re-fill it whilst it's boiling.

This is a big, heavy device. Although it can be lifted off its base with the handle, I simply re-fill it using a plastic measuring jug. Since it dispenses for you, after about 50 seconds of boiling and 10 of dispensing (satisfyingly fast!), you never need to lift it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enable a disabled person to be independent, 11 Dec. 2011
My severely disabled husband has very little strength in his right arm and can only hold the weight of a cup of tea with his left. Even if I prepare the kettle by filling it he is unable to pour it into a cup. I was a slave to the clock in order to provide him with the fluid he requires to ensure his bladder is never empty as he has a urinary stoma.

I saw the Breville one cup advertised and it has been my salvation and my husband's dream come true. He can now make himself a cup of tea anytime he wants and I am relieved of tea duty.

The main bonus is the Brita filter as our tap water smells of chlorine and to me is disgusting as it overpowers the smell of tea or coffee and taints the taste. The one cup provides a fantastic clear looking and fresh tasting beverage. In addition it is very economic as it only boils one cup of water at a time saving many kilowatts of electricity over a year.

I appreciate from the other reviews that there can be issues but they are worth sorting out for the pleasure this machine will bring to a disabled person desperate to maintain their independence. It will also enable carers to focus on other things.

It goes without saying that it is easy, fast and effective. I fill it with a plastic jug so it stays static on the side always ready for use at a moments notice. Unexpected guests can be having a drink in less than a minute!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best gadget ever!, 14 Dec. 2011
Very simply i love this... If you dont have a family that needs boiling water and you drink a lot of hot drinks GET THIS IN YOUR LIFE NOW! - so quick to boil, easy to use and looks well cool lit up at night... Plus you get to save water and electricity so take comfort in your cuppa knowing your saving the world and saving money too!!! FANTASTIC!