4.0 out of 5 stars Really great but a few issues you should be aware of.
I have previously owned both the Tefal Quick Cup (which is fast but the water was not hot enough for my liking) and the first generation of the Breville Hot Cup. The Breville Hot Cup worked perfectly, but 18 months of use in a very hard water area means it now dispenses large quantities of limescale along with the water despite regular de-scaling.

When I saw...
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by S. Horrigan

1.0 out of 5 stars Breville is not a brand to trust
Published 14 months ago by Damon Jebb

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great but a few issues you should be aware of., 7 Mar 2011
S. Horrigan "Shaun" (London) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Breville VKJ367 Brita Filter Hot Cup with Variable Dispenser (Kitchen & Home)

When I saw this new model with variable dispense and an inbuilt filter, I decided that it was time for the old Hot Cup to be honourably retired.

The first thing to say about the new version is that it looks great. It really does look like an expensive and well made product and its smart chrome design will grace any kitchen.

From opening the box, set up takes a few minutes. There is no need to pre-soak the Brita Maxtra cartridge, but you do need to discard the first couple of tanks of water to ensure the inside of the kettle is perfectly clean before use.

This leads me on to the first thing to bear in mind if you decide to buy this product. As the kettle contains a filter, the water needs to run from the top water container, through the filter, and into the lower reservoir. The top container only holds about 1/3rd of the water required to fill the lower chamber to the maximum. It therefore takes about five minutes to totally fill the kettle from empty. This won't be a problem as long as you remember to refill it after you use it, but could be a bit frustrating if you are dying for a cup of tea and the last person to use it left it empty. The top filter tank is removable though, so I suppose you could use the kettle without filtering the water, but that defeats the purpose of getting this model.

Once filled you have the choice of 9 different cup sizes. This is a huge improvement over the earlier version that dispensed only one preset amount of water. However, the second thing to bear in mind is that the largest size setting is still only a reasonable sized mug full of water and you still need to do two dispenses to make a jug of instant gravy for instance. The smallest setting is only around 1/3rd of a smallish cup.

Upon pressing the power button, the front of the kettle and the see through water reservoir both light up with a stylish blue light. A few seconds later you can hear the sound of water beginning to boil followed by a slight whoosh and click as the water starts to be dispensed after about 35 seconds with a full mug being delivered in 45 seconds. The water really is very hot, very close to boiling I would say, and considerably hotter than the Tefal Quick Cup. The combination of filtered water that is also very close to being genuinely boiling makes a fine cup of tea. The difference between this and my old kettle was instantly noticeable in both the colour and taste of a cup of tea.

The last thing I must point out is that this is a very heavy kettle. The weight when full is 4.35Kg, almost 10lb. My wife suffers from fibromyalgia and has had operations on both hands for repetitive strain related injury. She really struggled to lift this kettle to fill it under the tap, and once it was full she just did not feel safe carrying it. We now have a small jug by the sink with which to fill the kettle. It's not a huge problem, but it is something to consider if you are thinking about buying this for someone with weak hands or wrists or for an elderly person.

Overall - 4 stars. A really stylish, good looking product that makes a great cup of tea, but with a few issues you need to be aware of before you buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really pleased, 15 Jun 2011
I ordered this yesterday after reading all the reviews on this and similar products, and it arrived this evening - brilliant service.

I am delighted with it, and even hubby, who was sceptical at first, has been suitably impressed.

I have very boring problems with long boring names affecting my hands so I've been in the habit of filling kettles by jug for so long I'm always surprised when other people don't! A lightweight jug is an absolute must to fill this machine - some might see that as a drawback, I don't.

It is actually much smaller than I was expecting! The footprint of the heater base *without the drip tray* is the same as my old kettle. It is somewhat taller, but doesn't take up half the worktop as I was expecting it to. Keeping the kettle alongside for cooking or making multiple cups of tea (ie more than 3) is not going to be an issue. I have used a rival make of water boiler on family visits and (sorry family!) this is quieter and produces water that is far far hotter. True it's not quite as quick, but speed wasn't really a consideration when I made my choice. I'd rather wait a few seconds for the boiling-hot water to be honest.

The mug size is perfect for our crockery, too. Reviewers who have commented that it only just fills their mugs, or doesn't fill them enough, must have huge mugs! I haven't measured the size of my biggest mug in ccs, but I have several different sizes of mug, and the largest is filled to perfection at the biggest setting. Only my tall hot choccy mugs won't fit under the tap, but they're hot choccy mugs for hot choccy so it's not an issue lol!

Did I say I'm delighted? I am. I will update in a few months' time, as I find reviews that revisit products after a decent period of use are the most helpful. But so far, it gets a big thumbs up from me. No more danger of scalds from boiling water spilling from kettles I've dropped or thrown across the kitchen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 12 Nov 2011
Really glad i purchased this, does exactly wot it says in description and does make a great cup of tea or coffee. makes a hot drink in minutes and doesn`t heat all the water up so not wasting electricity by reboiling the same water over and over

5.0 out of 5 stars BEST TEA EVER, 28 Sep 2011
I had previously owned another so called one cup maker that only heated water to 95oC and failed miserably to make a decent cup of Tea, this actually boils the filtered water and makes the best cuppa yet with no hard water scum, I drink my tea without milk or sugar so the taste of the Tea itself is very important and this is what you get with the Brita Filter, just water at the right temperature in about 45 seconds which is far faster than a kettle and you only boil water that you use for your cuppa. those people that say you can't use it to make a sauce should either learn how to make their own sauces instead of opening a packet or use a kettle, after all this is called a HOT CUP not a kettle. The review title says it all.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's a super-kettle!, 10 Dec 2011
Lee Haywood (Nottingham, England) - See all my reviews
I was somewhat reluctant to buy this kettle at first, since the reviews weren't quite overwhelming and I didn't want to end up with an expensive dud.

But... I absolutely love it! I had a Brita filter kettle before, but this one blows my old one out of the water. Some reviewers have unreasonably given bad ratings because the Hot Cup only boils one cup at a time - shame on them for buying it in the first place if they didn't know what they were getting.

It's quick and as easy as pressing a button, since it dispenses the water for you. It has 3 compartments for the water... Water put in at the top goes through the filter into the middle compartment. The boiling takes place in a hidden space under a metal plate, and when it's done there's a satisfying hiss as it 're-loads' with a cupful of water - the visible water level drops suddenly, in an instant. It holds a good 3-4 cupfuls of water, and thanks to the separation you can even re-fill it whilst it's boiling.

This is a big, heavy device. Although it can be lifted off its base with the handle, I simply re-fill it using a plastic measuring jug. Since it dispenses for you, after about 50 seconds of boiling and 10 of dispensing (satisfyingly fast!), you never need to lift it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Breville is not a brand to trust, 12 Feb 2013
Damon Jebb (Cambridgeshire, UK) - See all my reviews
I bought one of the Breville filter hot water dispensers about 3 months ago. There's a terrible tcp-like taint to the water when it comes out and no amount of cleaning up has reduced it. Having decided that it really is never going to get any better I called Breville to ask them about it. When asked whether I could be guaranteed to get a product that was not tainted if I took a replacement I was told that it was not possible to give that guarantee as they have not resolved the manufacturing problem. The bottom line is they know they have a manufacturing fault but they can't work out what it is.

It's a shame because the idea of the product is great; reduce energy usage by only heating as much water as you need and takes a lot less time to boil a couple of cups of water. It ought to be a winner, especially with a filter as we have exceptionally hard water here.

There are many other reviews around the web about this product having a disgusting smell/taste to the water that comes from it (which I wish I had noticed prior to buying it), so my recommendation to anyone looking for one of these products is to look for products from alternative suppliers as Breville are apparently happy to continue to provide their customers with sub-standard products in the hope that sufficient of us will not complain about the taste/smell.

Breville is not a brand I will be looking at nor trust again!

4.0 out of 5 stars Generally excellent, 31 Mar 2011
S. Lindgren - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have to admit being sceptical when I first ordered this, but since it arrived, the only time the old kettle has been used has been for filling the cafetiere. For the rest of the time, the Breville has completely usurped its place.

It's not without some issues, as others have noted. It's most easily filled by water from a jug, rather than manhandling the whole thing over to the sink. Personally, I don't find this to be a hardship. And it doesn't dispense a gallon of water, even on the largest of its adjustable settings. If you like very large cups / mugs, then you'll need a couple of boils. Again, given the extremely quick boiling time, I haven't found this to be of major concern, although the option of a larger quantity would obviously be a useful improvement for future models.

Otherwise, it's great. Very quick boiling time, it's a doddle to use and keep clean, looks good, has the useful manual stop safty feature in case of miscalulation (or if you just want a top-up) and the filter is very effective. I live in a hard water area, so this is a major postitive. Overall, worth the money, from my point of view.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good, 24 Dec 2012
Awful awful first one arrived the filter count didn't work then then second one I could not get the metal taste out of the water every cup of tea tasted metallic tasting sent it back got refund

5.0 out of 5 stars BrevilleVKJ367, 26 Jun 2011
I bought this item for my daughter who has MS and feels unsafe lifting a boiling kettle. It has proved absolutely ideal for her.

It was delivered promptly and the price was slightly cheaper than another model, WITHOUT a filter, was in Argos. Since we live in a hard water area, a filter is essential. All in all, she is very pleased with the item.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does exactly what it says but is it necessary?, 2 April 2011
K. Wright - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The Breville Hot Cup looks great in a modern kitchen with its glass and chrome exterior and a blue light when in use. The kettle itself is simple to set up but it is a bit of an effort to get the Brita Maxtra filter ready for use. First you need to immerse the filter in cold water and then pour 2 lots of water through the filter and discard. This takes a while as the largest amount of water dispensed at a time is only enough to fill a large cup. It is recommended that you change the filter every 4 weeks and thus the cost of the filters soon add up.

Once ready the Hot Cup does exactly what it claims to do. You can have a nice, filtered, hot cup of water at the touch of a button, perfect if you want a cup of tea. However if you want to make more than one cup you have to wait for the water to reboil each time which means a standard kettle is much more conveniant for a round of after dinner drinks. There are 5 different settings to choose from when dispensing the water. The middle one was perfect for my Denby Jet Black Small Mug 8.5 cm and the biggest setting filled a large mug perfectly. There is a removable drip tray and a stop button in case you choose the wrong setting. The main problem that I found is that if I wanted to boil enough water to cook vegetables or to make gravy etc. then I had to revert back to my usual kettle. For me this makes the Hot Cup redundant as I don't have enough work surface to have both a kettle and the hot cup out at once. The Hot Cup is also far to heavy to fill up under the sink as the water compartment is embedded and you have to lift the whole thing so you really need a jug to fill it up a little at a time.

If you often need to make just one cup of hot water quickly then this is perfect for that job. However, for most people, I think that this product is unnecessary as it just doesn't boil enough water at a time for everyday use.

ARRAY(0xb68d0fd8)