4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, beware of TomTom Home
I got this because it did everything I wanted, had LIVE but wasn't as expensive as the Go models. Turned it on, found GPS very quickly and downloaded traffic updates brilliantly.

Published on 9 Aug 2009 by Michael Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with updates and product support
Published on 11 July 2010 by Chris Matthews

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, beware of TomTom Home, 9 Aug 2009
Michael Evans (London, UK) - See all my reviews

Then I did what was asked and tried to update the maps and the firmware with TomTom HOME....I have a Vista machine and it all went fine, said that it had downloaded all of the updates and latest map and then on rebooting it froze at startup, therefore making the satnav a complete brick.

I did everything TomTom support told me to do but to no avail at all. I was on the verge of sending it back as faulty when I happened to find an article which said that if you use a wireless connection for your internet, TomTom HOME has real problems updating the satnav and doesn't do it properly and therefore, you should use a wired connection to update.

I did this and, hey presto, it is working again as before.

The moral of the story....the unit is great, but TomTom HOME is awful and to avoid any problems make sure you update only with a wired connection. Hopefully TomTom will look into this and ensure that it doesn't occur in the future because it has the potential to ruin people's experience with what is a fantastic piece of kit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with updates and product support, 11 July 2010
I have used this product for almost a month and it has been perfect... regularly connecting to Tomtom Home via my laptop I receive the latest map updates, speed cameras etc. I connected on Wednesday 7th July and one of the updates was a "vital upgrade" of the Tomtom software itself... from then on I have been unable to connect to the Live Services (HD Traffic and fuel prices).
I have been on the phone to the support line and constant email. I have sent them all the information on the Tomtom and my laptop but as yet they have not resolved the reason why it will not connect.
If I had not had this problem the product would be getting 4-5 stars as it works extremely well... just the support from Tomtom Live Services is letting it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a review of TomTom Customer Services!, 5 Sep 2010
Ned Middleton (British professional underwater photo-journalist & author) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
I already have a TomTom satellite navigation system and use it regularly. I rate this as a 5 Star product. I shall soon be travelling extensively throughout Europe by road and recently saw an opportunity to purchase a spare unit quite cheaply at a sale. Although an older model, the unit was still boxed, absolutely complete and appeared to be unused. It would not, however, switch on but, thinking it needed nothing more than charging, I took a chance and bought it.

I tried everything (As did my local store) but the unit simply would not switch on. Eventually, I contacted TomTom Customer Services and told them how the I had obtained the unit and that it was "NOT" under guarantee. Their service was exceptional. Firstly, they sent me a small package containing a cardboard box which, when assembled, fitted my TomTom unit perfectly and would clearly protect the unit whilst in the post. Secondly, the package also contained a Royal Mail "Special Delivery" envelope complete with address and tracking number. Postage and insurance were already paid by TomTom.

Within 24 hours of my posting the unit back to TomTom I received an email confirming receipt and within 7 days I got another unit back. TomTom had REPLACED my unit free of charge with a brand new and exactly the same model and ALL under guarantee!

So for those of you who are contemplating purchasing a TomTom satellite navigation system, I thought you might like to know about this company's follow-up customer services system. They are quite excellent and I hope this message is useful.

NM

2.0 out of 5 stars Promising but lacking, 8 Feb 2011
K. Taylor "Keith" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I purchased the Tomtom Via 120 EU after owning a Tomtom One (the origonal)for 6 years.
I drive for a living and use my satnav every day, this unit had everything I could want including voice activation.
I was certainly impressed with the unit when I got it home and soon had it up and running.....BUT, I soon noticed that it did not plan routes anything like as quick as my old TT One.
Undaunted I used it the very next day and planned my 1st delivery trip, it loaded the route eventually and informed me of delays on route which turned out to be very accurate, I found the live traffic feature very good.
Not so good when I came across a turn I could not go down, so I set the unit to roadblock 100 yds and it re-calculated.......after 30 seconds it finally sorted a new route.....terrible, my old TT One took about 5 seconds.
I tried this several times to see if it was just a blip, no, it takes ages to recalculate, I was not impressed.
I then found it froze when I decided to ignore the direction it gave me...I was getting fed up.
Add to that, 1hour 43 minutes battery life compared to 4 hours from the TT One was really making me doubt my purchase.
Tried it on day 2, same results so I have returned it and will be using my old trusty TT One for a while longer.
If you are someone who uses a satnav on the odd occasion then this device is hard to beat with all of its features for the price.
If you are a professional driver driving a vehicle where it is limited by weight limits and height restrictions and the need for quick re-calculation is needed, forget the Via 120, you will be tearing your hair out waiting for it to re-calculate.
Also, no itinery routing available, delivery drivers use this facility a lot to enter multiple delivery addresses and can then calculate the total distance and time it will take, a very poor effort fromm Tomtom imo.
All the features work well, Bluetooth, Traffic warnings, voice control, Google search.
Its a pity the most important things like screen response and route planning take so long.
Very dissapointing Tomtom, I was hoping that after 6 years on from my 1st and still only satnav things would have moved on, not gone backwards.

4.0 out of 5 stars LIVE IQ Routes a great improvement, but is not a flawless upgrade, 3 April 2010
G. C. Ferguson (London & Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
As a long term TomTom user the new offer for a TomTom XL Live IQ Routes with a year's free LIVE services was a very tempting upgrade as an alternative to repairing my aged TomTom One.

New out the box this is a simple unit to set up and very easy to use. TomTom Customer Services were very helpful in transferring my subscriptions for maps and safety cameras over to the new unit, explaining what was needed and what was now redundant - but after 28 days I am still awaiting the 'free live services for a year' after completing the on-line part the day after purchase. I have logged in every 3 days to check the expiration date as told to, but it has not changed yet.

The traffic services and IQ routes functionality work really well, much better than the Traffic receiver system I had been using and twice in the first week warned me of serious delays and plotted new routes to get me to my destination on time. The system seems slower to operate than the old unit, but is doing far more processing and has hung once - but switching it on and off fixed that immediately.

Overall I am very happy with the unit, and while not perfect it is the best system available - and this model is very good value.

UPDATE: 1 Year of free Live Services has finally kicked in just a few days later than promised - I remain very impressed with the unit

3.0 out of 5 stars XP users beware, 18 July 2009
Bought this as a replacement for a TomTom One V3, as needed Eastern European coverage, and decided that the Live services would be pretty useful too.

Unit arrived, but before Live services could be used the unit said that update was needed. So connected to computer and tried to update. Computer is a 3 year old desktop, with Windows XP, and sufficient memory capacity.

All I got was a series of error messages, and was unable to update anything. Even unable to create the suggested back up on the computer, not even an attempt at a manual back up worked.

Rang TomTom Customer services who were baffled and finally suggested that the software must be corrupt and to return to Amazon for replacement which I duly did.

Replacement arrived, but before connecting, just in case, I deleted TomTom home and all associated files from computer and re-installed first.

Same problems arose - each time I connected the updates it said were available changed, every time I tried to download updates I got an error message, it told me that there was insufficient space to download some updates and that i needed to delete files first - when i tried to delete some of the voice files for example it would then tell me there was insuffiient space to do that.

Just about to ring customer services again, when I decided to try out my sons 9 month old laptop running Windows Vista (with same antivirus and firewall as on my desktop). Updates worked fine, downloading and installing everything within 15 minutes.

Unit duly tested on the road last night, worked fine, Live services tested and impressed with them.

The moral appears to be don't try and update on an XP machine.

UPDATE 23/7/09 - re-connected several times since to get further updates, mapshare and quick GPS fix mainly - has updated quickly and without problem, again using the Vista machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Want to use it abroad after the update? Think twice, 12 Aug 2010
I was a bit puzzled by the reviews; the device seemed to tick all the boxes, although some comments were not so positive.
I planned a family trip driving from UK through France, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Hungary, Slovenia and to Italy and back, so the device was the ideal one.
I bought it. Nice.
I connected it to a computer for the map updates and the simple and effective interface worked very well.
Next day I loaded the car and was ready to leave, I switched it on and planned my trip.
I was doing an address search and surprise!!! All the Eastern European countries' maps disappeared.
Quickly called The TomTom customer service and I was told that the maps updates are 2.2Gb and the device has only 1.9Gb internal memory and when I used the automatic update all the maps have been replaced with a Western Europe one without getting any warning.

Be aware, as other reviewers pointed it out, no full map updates are possible on the device, ever!!, unless they can fit into the tiny internal memory. All the positive comments/feed back were by customers who perhaps never updated their device maps or done it a while ago.

The customer services help me to download two different EU maps (for free) as replacement but there are still few countries missing from the originally fitted map list.

TomTom is aware of the problem but not doing anything about it, actually the device is the best seller one and Amazon and major UK retailers are still selling it despite this incredible technical downfall.

What about fitting the device with a bigger internal memory like those used by competitors to accomplish the now new and useful real pictures navigation maps?
Is TomTom expecting the complete loss of business because of the free available Goggle maps and navigation therefore is no more investing in developing (properly) its own products?

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom Live 120 UK/ROI, 2 April 2011
C. Chitty (Lincolnshire, UK) - See all my reviews
Previous 3 year old TomTom XL expired on the Monday with a strange burning smell. I had a trip to an unfamiliar location in Manchester City Centre coming up on the Wednesday, so rather than go retro and buy a map, I decided to invest in a new TomTom device, so I went for the Live 120 UK/ROI edition. Ordered on the Tuesday, I paid the premium for fast delivery and it arrived next day as promised by Amazon before I was due to travel.

Following the instructions, I connected it to my laptop, downloaded the software and set about updating. After a lengthy download (big file and slow broadband that day as I was working from home at the same time on another laptop) it completed updating and was ready to go. I programmed in my destination, fitted it in the car, off I went up the A1 and it perfomed faultlessly. All the LIVE services work as advertised and the text to speech for road names & other info is a vast improvement over my old XL device. I was initially worried that the built in suction cup would somehow be a disadvantage, but it's actually a convenience and folds flat against the device for storage.

All in all, I can recommend this device and and very pleased with the purchase.

The only thing I am not sure about, is that at the time of writing, I am not sure which hard case is suitable for this device as they all seem to be made for the older devices, so if anyone has bought a case that works well with the Live 120, please leave a comment and advise since I would find this really helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars TomTom XL Live IQ Routes, 21 Nov 2009
Paul Munro (Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
Great update on my TomTom Go 300. Mount, interface and IQ routes are much better. Live is working very well and has suggested routes that I would not have taken without it (north circular at 7.30am!!). Also weekly camera updates are great - with speeds clearly displayed. Well done TomTom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lots of "good points" and a few "not so good", 11 July 2010
It was about time I updated my satnav, so I decided to go for this Tomtom XL with "Live".I've had it about a month now and generally got used to navigating around the menus and functions.After about a week,I lost the "Live traffic updates" (just one part of the "Live" services ..free for 12 months)and it said I needed to renew my subscription.I contacted Tomtom on their website about this.They were brilliant,sending me regular emails until the problem was resolved.The unit itself is quality built,with loads of extra voices,map colours and car icons to personalise your Tomtom(Lots free,from their website)GREAT FUN! The "Easyport" holder is neat but can be very fiddly to fix on the windscreen.It can be detached from the unit to make it easier."Live" gives you Google search for destinations,up-to-date petrol prices,safety cameras,weather forcasts and the very latest up-to-date traffic information-near home or away.BRILLIANT!..watch out for the subscription charges after 12 months though !! The battery also lasts well.You can also update your own maps(changes etc)and map share with other Tomtom users.
Now to the "not so good"..
Loading a route is surprisingly slow.(Although it is anylising IQ routes and live traffic).
Re Routing is also very slow.
Waypoints or Via points are not announced when arriving at them.
The 12volt lead plug at the bottom is very hard to remove.
If Tomtom want to be market leaders,then they will have to do more to maintain and retain their position.
I am generally happy with this satnav...let's hope it doesn't take me up too many dead end roads!!

TomTom VIA LIVE 125 EU Satellite Navigation System