4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware, beware of TomTom Home
I got this because it did everything I wanted, had LIVE but wasn't as expensive as the Go models. Turned it on, found GPS very quickly and downloaded traffic updates brilliantly.

Then I did what was asked and tried to update the maps and the firmware with TomTom HOME....I have a Vista machine and it all went fine, said that it had downloaded all of the updates...
Published on 9 Aug 2009 by Michael Evans

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with updates and product support
I have used this product for almost a month and it has been perfect... regularly connecting to Tomtom Home via my laptop I receive the latest map updates, speed cameras etc. I connected on Wednesday 7th July and one of the updates was a "vital upgrade" of the Tomtom software itself... from then on I have been unable to connect to the Live Services (HD Traffic and fuel...
Published on 11 July 2010 by Chris Matthews

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Live" feature saves a lot of time & frustration, 23 July 2011
Peter Flynn (York, N Yorkshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Bought in July 2011 to help me navigate between the three offices of the new company I joined, this has already saved me an hour when leaving Oxford on a Friday afternoon.

Within 5 minutes of starting the journey the Live feature detected a 1 hour delay and re-routed me onto the M40 avoiding the congested direct route. The constantly updated destination arrival time, taking account of projected delays, was very accurate; I arrived home in York 3 minutes before the TOM TOM predicted.

On the afternoon on the day I bought the TOM TOM, I downloaded the latest maps, speed camera locations and petrol price information from the website. This took a long time (3hours) over a fast connection and proceeded without a problem. The gripes of other reviewers about the website was not part of my experience. Maybe patience is required.

My only reservation, and this will apply to all users of sat navs from all manufacturers, is that the features makes the driver lazy. I no longer need to be aware of landmarks en route and am not mentally calculating my ETA. Although eases the stress of driving, if for any reason the sat nav fails I have no idea where I am am or how to navigate my way home. If you drive to the same destination without a sat nav, you may find you get lost because you did not need to be aware of your surroundings on the previous journey.

Always have a map in the car just in case.

It certainly eases the tress of driving.

3.0 out of 5 stars XL LIVE Great - Desperately poor Software (Mac), 12 Oct 2009
G. Luke (South West, UK) - See all my reviews
Bought my TomTom XL Live IQ and was delighted to receive it - worked as expected right out of the box.

Somewhere along the line it suggests you update your maps. For this you have to install and use TomTom Home - the single worst piece of software on the planet both on Mac and PC. I've used it on both platforms and can't believe it's so bad.

When I "updated" the map it completely obliterated everything on the XL!!! When I started it up there a "no map installed" message, after 5 phone calls to TomTom support (who seem caring and patient but not very clued up suggesting the same fix time and time again) I got that working then found out it had trashed all other useful functionality as well as all "live" services.

After several more calls and a deeply technical installation which was manual copying I eventually got it working again - TomTom tech support regenerated the files I needed to copy over.

Needless to say I will never connect it to TomTom Home again - it's poor software that just doesn't work reliably.

Morale of the story if it works, don't fix or update it. If you want an update then buy a new one.

The device is great and works really well, shame it has no realistically usable software from TomTom.(Don't believe me - just Google it and see the results)

5.0 out of 5 stars Via Live 120 - you wont be dissapointed, 26 Mar 2011
D Cooper (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I spent a long time searching around the net for the best satnav to buy but just when I thought I finally had it sussed there was another review to shoot it down.
I ended up purchasing a VIA Live 120 in the end and am very pleased but felt I needed to write a few review points as feelings are mixed amongst previous purchasers.

This replaced one of the original TomTom GO's and other than to plan routes, the main requirement for me was for traffic alerts and planning.

1) The routing time is not too slow and it starts telling you where to go pretty much straight away ahead of completing the route calculation.
2) The traffic & speed camera updates are fantastic. It comes with 12 months free and I think its around 40/year after that, well worth the money.
3) The IQ routes are very impressive. Every ETA for long journeys i've made so far has been spot on including traffic and this is only going to get better as more and more people use it.
4) The integrated windscreen mount is great, no more hunting around the car for the mount and trying to attach it whilst driving and it hardly makes any difference to the size of the unit.
5) Buy yourself a case, they are very cheap and you'll need one.
6) Be warned, many of the reviews listed here are not for the VIA Live 120/125 so make sure you are reading a review for the right product.
7) The screen size is perfect - bigger and clearer than the cheaper models but not too big that it affects the size of the unit to carry around - for me the Via Live 125 would be a pointless additional expense.
8) The volume is ample, even motorway driving in my van (which is not quiet at all) I only need the volume at around 70% max.
9) Software doesnt work on a MAC? Who cares really, i'm a MAC user also but for the number of times in the units life that it will need updating, i'll just use a PC.

Overall I am really happy with this model. After reading through all the reviews I really did think there was not one good satnav available on the market but after a while you just have to take the plunge and i'm glad I opted to do that with the Via Live 120.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent navigation but serious issues undermine this, 21 Oct 2009
I would strongly advise against buying this model unless you are computer literate and have the time to deal with potential problems.

In use it works extremely well but there have been no significant improvements other than the traffic information since their Navigator 5 product - sadly no longer supported with new maps.

The issues are as follows:

Tomtom Support do not show on their site issues that reflect badly on Tomtom itself.

Tomtom Home software can make things worse because it offers the map guarantee option before you have backed up the device and installed the latest operating software.

The only way to update the device is through a very slow usb connection. A map update takes at least 2 hours. Backing up the device to the computer takes nearly as long.

The Tomtom server is underresourced and use should be avoided between 17:00 and 22:00. Server timeouts and corrupted files will otherwise result.

There is a major unresolved issue known to Tomtom where their rights protection forbids the download of the map guarantee update and the only recovery option available is to delete computer files and try 5 or 6 times before you are allowed to try again.

If you buy I suggest:

1. Exit from the Tomtom Home software before you first connect the device and back up a copy of the Tomtom drive to your desktop using Windows Explorer (etc.).

2. Run Tomtom Home but do not accept the option to use the Map Guarantee.

3. Use the Device Update option to update only the device operating system. You can get the other updates later.

4. Backup the device with the Tomtom Home software.

5. Disconnect and check that it is still working.

6. Late at night or between 10:00 and 16:00 attempt to use the Latest Map Guarantee feature.

7. If the download is corrupt (typically it says there is no room on the device) or forbidden get instructions from Tomtom Support. I found their responses prompt and accurate (cut and pasted - you need to be able to interpret them). (Basically you need to delete the Application Data and Downloaded Files and repeatedly try again until you get past the TT security block and manage a download without corruption or server timeout. This is apparently a 'known' issue without a clear resolution).

8. Disconnect and check that it is still working.

9. Backup using the Tomtom Home software.

10. Run the Tomtom Home Device Update twice and select the non 'Premium' options.

11. Backup again using the Tomtom Home software.

12. If you are still with me you will have spent many frustrating hours before having and up-to-date navigator - good luck!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny., 6 Sep 2009
G. Henderson "Hendy" (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
Im a long distance lorry driver so need a satnav to find my destinations. The navigation on this unit is accurate & concise, but when I needed to upgrade recently I thought I would try the Live IQ Traffic model. All I can say is 'Fantastic', it keeps you updated about problems ahead & also can re-route you to save time & fuel.
I fully recommend this model.

4.0 out of 5 stars TomTom XL Live IQ routes, 3 Feb 2011
I did tons of research before settling on this SatNav and I have to say, I am delighted with my purchase. Thanks to the other people who reviewed this model. I bought it based on the feedback and customer reviews I read. They are a really good tool when deciding on a purchase.

START UP
No issues with setting up from the website and no problems with it failing to load or switching itself off. It really was a plug in and go experience. i am not 'techy' and hate fiddling around with screens, etc., so this was fantastic.

USING
The screen is clear, I love the lane indicator - no more last minute racing to the right side of the motorway - and the instructions are given in good time. I love that, if you go wrong, it adjusts and offers you a new one or, if you turn around, it automatically goes back to the original one. It also changes to night screen automatically when you drive at night.

I have found that, even though I have the most up to date maps, I still get the occasional incorrect instruction e.g., take the third exit off a roundabout that only has 2, for instance. It still gives you the right route directives.

LIVE

I especially went for Live, however, the one time I really needed the traffic jam warning, the notification came too late to get off the motorway. As it was, the delay was only 10 minutes so it was not a real issue. |I do hope it gives adequate warning of major road closures, etc. Still happy I got it though, because it gives you real time updates on the length of time for your journey. I love the camera warnings (although I never speed, it reminds you to check) and the road speed limits are good where there are no signs or if driving in Devon, where some major roads have a 60 speed limit. I also like that it is clued up about restricted roads, e.g., it doesn't send you down bus lane only roads (which my other SatNav did!).

WINDOW MOUNT
Fiddly, I have to say. Took 20 mins to put it on the windscreen the first time and I still am a bit duff at doing it now, BUT (when you eventually get it on) it does stay on if you dampen it enough.

Would have given 5 if the Live service had given me a more timely warning.

Happy travelling.

4.0 out of 5 stars better than older version, but still needs improvments, 8 Aug 2009
H. Zeng (London) - See all my reviews
IQ router is good, it calculates better routes, but the HD traffics not really well, it does help you to avoid major congestions, such as motor way accidents, but it doesn't really help you to avoid congestions caused by road works. the traffic information is not up to date during weekends and nights. it shows congestions where it has easied. lots traffics are not show on weekends. it calculates route quite slow, and restarts itself from time to time. despite the bad poits,it is much better than the older vision, at least you can avoid certain traffic jam, and get better routes.

3.0 out of 5 stars Still a lot of room for improvement., 28 Jan 2011
This review is from: TomTom Go Live 820 EU 4.3 Inch Touchscreen European Coverage Voice Activation Hands Free (Electronics)
Firstly I would point out that the majority of reviews on this page are not for this model but the old XL. Poor show Amazon.
I bought this as an upgrade from my five year old TomTom One. Which was my first sat nav, and the best gadget I ever bought. But when the maps desperately needed updating the cost was half way to the new Via.
My expectations may have been a little high because of the rate of development of mobile phones and other small gadgets, but in many ways the TomTom hasn't improved. It seems slightly more jerky in operation of the graphics and sound.
Its well documented here that TomTom seem to have rushed this model to market before having sorted the connectivity. I couldn't connect mine to our Mac or Pc. I would have liked to have checked that the maps were up to date, but gave up and started using it.
If you are an iphone user you are sure to be disappointed with the resolution of the display and the responsiveness of the touch screen, but taking the price into account it's passable.
The main reason for upgrading though was the Live service, which I am impressed with. The traffic information is reliable as are the predicted journey times. I'm quite looking forward to being redirected around a traffic jam!
The Google local search is also excellent, and it works well as a car phone kit which was an unexpected bonus.

2.0 out of 5 stars Keep the receipt., 21 Jan 2011
G. Silvester (Manchester, UK.) - See all my reviews
I've always used TomTom for my satnav products - and until recently I was happy with my original TomTom ONE which lasted years. When it finally packed in, I bought myself this piece of kit believing it to be a worthy successor - it wasn't.
I have had this model for about 4 or 5 months now, and I regularly upgrade it to the latest software including fixes. I use it nearly daily for work (Im in the emergency services and I travel probably 100 miles a day to between 15-30 locations). I have experience constant problems with this item, which I will detail below...

Pros
- Looks really nice.
- Clever mount.

Cons
- Touch screen is less sensitive and slightly concave, so you sometI'mes have to really stab at the screen to register a touch.
- The product is hard to attach to the mount with one hand. (A genuine problem for those who like to use satnavs legally and position them in the bottom 10% of the windscreen - often a stretch). Instead you have to lurch over the wheel and cup the unit and mount like you're delivering a child.
- About 50% of the time, my product likes to reboot itself after about a minute of use if turned on from off.
- Regularly cannot find a GPS signal and has to be restarted.
- Despite having the "latest 2010 map" - I consistently come across road layouts which are about 5 or 6 years old at least, but not updated on the map (like bollards turning back streets into dead-end access only roads; and several junctions are now roundabouts.
- Battery life is abysmal. No "power-save" option if the car charger doesn't work (a problem when you use pool cars like me).
-Product gets confused easily and despite driving forward, it thinks I'm going backwards and spins the map 180 degree... only correcting itself after 10-15 seconds when I pick up speed.
- The house number / street name finder almost 'always' ( and this is no exaggeration) cannot "find" the number... and will suggest a next nearest number - often next door, but sometI'me 100 doors down. These are houses over a 100 years old in some cases.
- House numbers are regularly in completely the wrong place.
- Fidgety usb connection for charger. Doesn't easily slot in as I'm sure many of you agree and requires messing about with.

That's all I can think of right now, but I'm sure there are more issues. I honestly cannot wait til the thing dies so I can tried another brand.

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid, 4 Mar 2011
C. Sinclair (UK) - See all my reviews
Previously had a TomTom about 5 years ago and was very good - until it got stolen. Had SD card slot, audio in and out jacks.

With these new Via Live versions - how things have changed. No SD Card slots (as in item description). You have to remove the complete mounting bracket and SatNav from windscreen - as they are one item. No separate bracket that you can leave attached to windscreen and just tak SatNav with you.

Now to the really bad bit. This SatNav is not fully supported by TomTom - search their forums and you will see. TomTom even admit that 'in the future.... you will be able too...' ,etc, etc. But NOT yet. You cannot download add-ons as with other models in their range - YET. In fact even updating the maps to the latest version is a nightmare - especially if you only have Apple computers. How a company like TomTom cannot write software that works correctly on a Mac is beyond me.

I use the TomTom app on an iPhone and that software is great. I'll now be ordering a windscreen holder for my iPhone and just use that.

This is the first item I have ever had to return to the seller and it's from a manufacturer I expected better off.

Item WAS delivered by the seller the next day - a lot quicker than expected. Pity TomTom couldn't match their service.

‹ Previous | 1 2 325 | Next ›