5.0 out of 5 stars Indulgence in Death by JD Robb
As usual, a heart stopping, well written book with enough romance to remind a woman of over 70 that her hormones are still in working order!! Looking forward to the next 'In Death' book already.
Published on 15 Dec. 2010 by peggy rogers

This book was on offer at amazon for less than half the RRP, but I missed out on the offer by 24hrs, and was pretty bummed, but it was available without wait at my local library, and in the end, I am glad that I did not actually buy it, as it is not a Keeper.

Published on 21 Nov. 2010 by Roroblu's Mum

5.0 out of 5 stars Indulgence in Death by JD Robb, 15 Dec. 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE Eve and Roarke, but this 38th outing felt a tad...stale? It's a take on a Beverly Barton novel., 21 Nov. 2010
Roroblu's Mum "ROROBLU'S MUM" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

It started off great, and I thought that I'd be in for the type of novel that I like - where we catch up with the previous characters that we've come to know and love, where we see personal relationships and interactions, but it wasn't quite enough (for me at least) of that. The book starts off with Eve and Roarke on vacation for 2 weeks, in Ireland with his family, and with them about to set off for Italy. Eve does something really thoughtful (especially so for her, not that she's not nice or thoughtful, but that work is her only obession other than Roarke) for Roarke, which actually brought a lump to my throat and which made it clear that she is now really accepting of herself as his wife, and all that that word entails. Then, in rural everyone-knows-everyone Ireland, a murder takes place and Eve is suddenly off of vacation, though only temporarily, so I was still ok with the tale at this point.

Next, she's back in New York and immediately a murder ensues, which again, I am fine with - after all, this is what the series is about. What I am not fine with is that by the end of the third chapter, we'd been introduced to several so obvious coincidences, so much cliche'd, predictable 'over-reacting' and 'over-acting' from some of the suspects that Eve checked out, that I sussed who the baddie/s were and where this novel was going. This hasn't ever happened to me so quickly in a JD Robb tale before. And yes, we get told straight away who Eve suspects, and then it was just a tale of tying events of the past in with what's happening in the present. Immediately what came to mind is the two-story-arc by Beverly Barton, in her Griffin Powell series (sorry, can't remember the titles, though one may be Murder Game, clue's in the title for IID too), so I totally knew where this book was going.

We get to see very, very fleetingly Peabody and McNab, Feeney, Charles and Louise and Dr Mira, there's a touch of dialogue with Mavis in a telephone call, mention of Bella crawling now, but no Leonardo. What I would have liked to have seen more of is those personal relationships that we have come to love with the characters that have paired off. It seemed as if P&M's relationship was exactly the same as in the other books i.e. no progress, and whilst we see Charles making breakfast for Louise whilst helping Eve with the case, it would have been nice to know more about how this seemingly-mismatched couple are living their HEA. I'd have loved a shot of Eve with Bella now that she's getting about - it would have been a laugh a minute to see Eve's panic.

Overall, I still quite liked it - because it's an Eve and Roarke novel, but I am glad that I did not buy it. I have, however, ordered the Christmas novella (in THE OTHER SIDE), due out on 30/11/10, as that's in an antho with several other good authors, and generally re-sells well. However for hardbacks, i.e. the annual Nov and Feb releases (2011 seems to be an exception to this rule, as what is classed as book 39 releases in Feb, book 40 in June and book 41 in Nov), I will rely on my library.

5.0 out of 5 stars In Death Series, 12 Nov. 2010
J.D. has done it again!This series featuring Eve & Roarke just gets better & better would recommend to anyone who enjoys an exciting, romantic and thrilling book I have kept the whole series and hav re- read from the first book (Naked in death )time and time again and now can not wait until February for the next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars always the best, 14 Dec. 2010
J.D.Robb at her best.She never fails to bring to life all the characters in her books. I feel i am meeting my clever friends on the police force.She brings them all to life for me and i am sharing there good and hard times with them.i love the way she can spin a tale and keep me glued to the book-i never want to put it down-and see if i can pick up the clues and get the culprit before she tells me who it is. May she continue writing about Eve and Roarke and all the rest for a long time to come.

4.0 out of 5 stars A formula that results in a really good read - always fun, 5 April 2011
L. J. Roberts (Oakland, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Indulgence in Death (Hardcover)
First Sentence: The road was a killer, hardly wider than a decent stream of spit and snaking like a cobra between giant bushes loaded with strange flowers that resembled drops of blood.

Even on her vacation in Ireland with husband Roarke, Lt. Eve Dallas of the New York Police and Security Department, which came into being after the urban wars, becomes involved in a murder case, but only as an adviser. The vacation is definitely over when she returns to the murder by crossbow of a driver for an elite limousine service. The next day is a top paid escort is murdered by bayonet. The murders keep coming, the weapons always unusual and the link...

Sometimes you need a palete cleanser; a guilty pleasure read on which you can rely. J.D. Robb and her "...In Death" books is that for me.

A good, evocative analogy is something I always appreciate, while snappy dialogue and wry humor which surprises me into laughing aloud is something at which Robb excels. However, she can also touch the emotions and bring tears to my eyes. But don't ever mistake her books for being pure light fluff. The murders are brutal, the language course, and the sex graphic. It is the combination of these elements that brings keeps Robb at the top of the best-seller list and me back to reading the series.

Eve, who grew up with violence and brutality, chose to work for the law and has a dedication to representing and finding justice to the dead. Her husband, Roark, had the same type of childhood, and broke many a law on his way to extreme wealth and meeting Eve. There are certainly fantasy aspects of the relationship, but the balance of her lack of facade and his access to contacts and technology works. It's Eve's partner, Det. Delia Peabody, who exemplifies all the traditionally feminine traits for which Eve has no skill, patience or interest; and so that relationship works as well.

One thing on which you can always count is good action. But I also like that just when I figured out the killer, so did Eve. Disappointment averted--well done! Even though I knew Dallas would get the villain at the end, there was tremendous satisfaction when she did. However, my praise isn't unstinting; I did have a problem with the plot in that was very similar to a couple previous books. Even with 38 books in the series, those of us who've read them do remember and can't avoid noticing recycling a premise even if there could be a similarity in crimes over time. Had Dallas made a reference to the previous cases, the similarity would have been noted as intentional rather than a possible rehash of old plots.

You can certainly say that these books are formulaic, but it is a formula that works and is very enjoyable. It is not great literature. Even with its flaws, and they are there, it is a darn good read that made me happy I'd read it and smile when I'd finished it.

INDULGENCE IN DEATH (Pol Proc-Lt. Eve Dallas-Ireland/NYC-Future/2060) - G+
Robb, J.D. (aka Nora Roberts) - 38th in series
Putnam, ©2010, US Hardcover - ISBN: 9780399156878

5.0 out of 5 stars Undulgence in Death, 10 Jan. 2011
Oh my what a book, I knew I was getting this in my xmas stocking and couldn't wait.
but it was worth the wait. I really enjoyed this book and the although all the characters involved with the In Death series are there, its mostly Eve and of course the gorgeous Roarke. Couldnt put this book down, but at the same time needed to know how it would end. Hope I dont have to wait too long for the next.
Recommend this book for J.D Robb (Nora Roberts) readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars pure indulgence, 24 Dec. 2010
I adore these books and i am one of many who is constantly checking for the release date of the next instalment of eve and Roarke. J.D Robb continues to provide a mixture of death and love. This book builds further on eve and Roarke's relationship when two 'trust fund brats' decide to making killing people a competition and eve and the gang struggle to find the evidence and to convict them despite knowing from early on in the story who is guilty. This is especially hard for Roarke as one of the killings takes place on his fair ground. The victims are all individuals who have worked hard and earned their wealth, therefore making them 'unworthy' of their place within society in the eyes of the killers. Roarke's protective instinct appears when Eve becomes a target because of her relationship to him, as you can expect he doesn't take this calmly nor does he allow Eve to shut him out.

I also enjoyed the way Eve becomes 'softer' in this book, showing public displays of affection more easily both on and off the job and as always her banter with Summerset adds humour to the story. can't wait until the next instalment.

5.0 out of 5 stars my obsession, 14 Dec. 2010
Janet Dunmore "Netta Dunmore" (Kirkconnel. Scotland) - See all my reviews
It appears that I have an obsesion with J.D.Robbs books. I cannot wait till the next one comes out. It is like waiting to hear about the birth of another grandchild. So exciting both in the waiting and then the reading of all my favourite people, Keep writing Nora. Thank you

3.0 out of 5 stars An ok read but not the best "In Death", 28 Nov. 2010
M. E. Newell (Georgia, United States) - See all my reviews
It starts out with the murder of the ownerof a top of the line limo company. The next murder of a high paid escort. And while death is nothing new to Lt. Eve Dallas. Being killed with a corssbow and a baynoet is. And Eve is left to wonder if she has a thrill killer on her hands. But the clues lead her back the world of the rich and powerful. And must work quickly to find the killer and stop them before any one else dies.
"Indulgence in Death" the 31st, "In Death" by J.D. Robb and while it did have some great moments over all I found myself stuggling to finish the book. It felt to me that "Indulgence in Death" was lacking than Ms. Robb's earlier books and at time I wonder if she she still writing the books or is someone is doing it for her. Overall "Indulgence in Death" is a decent outing for the series, but maybe Ms. Robb should take a break and then come back to "Death"

3.0 out of 5 stars indulgence in death, 19 Jun. 2011
not the greatest book in the series. Eve and Roarkes spark is definitely fizzling and the storyline seems a bit tired i usually cant put the books in this series down but have found this has taken me a long time to read

Indulgence In Death: 31