Published on 15 Mar 2011 by Nick D.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the laptop but used not new when I received it
Published 21 months ago by Jill

5.0 out of 5 stars The most achingly gorgeous piece of technology after the iPad2, 15 Mar 2011
This review is from: New MacBook Air 13 inch Laptop(Intel Core 2 Duo 1.86GHz, 2GB RAM, 256GB Flash Storage, NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics) - launched October 2010 (Electronics)
The second version of the MacBook Air (MBA) builds considerably on the success of the first. It has more processing power, more memory and more ports. The form factor makes this the very best laptop in its class bar none. Build quality is peerless. The aluminium design of the unibody enclosure makes the machine light yet robust. And, the best reason to own a Mac, OSX 10.6 makes this machine simple, easy and enjoyable to use.

As other reviewers note, if you run video or graphics-intensive programs, you may find that the MacBook Air less speedy than the MacBook Pro. Nevertheless, the GPU 320 is excellent and gives it unprecedented performance in a machine of this size. Watching videos, playing Call of Duty and editing video can easily be achieved with the Air. For MS Office and general productivity suites, such as iLife 11, FileMaker, and so on, this has more than enough horsepower to get the job done.

The standard solid sate SSD flash hard drive makes this computer very fast, especially when it boots up, (as you may have noticed if you watched the video review above). Since flash memory has no moving parts (that's why it's called solid state) it makes the machine less prone to failure than one with a spinning platter hard drive. The MBA won't die if it receives the odd knock (my 4-year old son walked on it when I left it on the floor and it suffered no ill effects - he weighs 25 kgs).

The MBA has an excellent screen; in fact, resolution is better than that of the more recently refreshed 13" MacBook Pro.

Battery life easily matches Apple's claim of 7 hours, which makes it the perfect movie-viewing companion on long flights.

So what's not to like?

First of all, the Core 2 Duo processor is now long in the tooth. It has mostly been replaced by a new Intel processor line-up: Core i5 and Core i7 better known as 'Sandy Bridge' in mainstream notebooks. Core i5 chips are quite a bit faster than Core 2 Duo ones. The good news is that the MacBook Air is expected to get Core i5 and i7 chips at the next refresh (June-July 2011), so if you can wait a few months your patience will be rewarded with the ultimate Mac. it will also be rewarded with OSX 10.7 Lion, Apple's new operating system which is expected to debut around the same time.

Secondly, the standard 2 Gb of RAM isn't enough. If you can afford to, buy it with 4 GB. Similarly, you will quickly run out of hard disk space if you don't get a machine with 256 Gb of disk space. If you download lots of movies from iTunes, have lots of photographs, or video, then memory space will soon disappear.

And that's it really. I would advise you to check out the 13" MacBook Pro before you finally decide. The latter machine has a faster processor and is considerably more powerful. However, it also much heavier; so if you travel a lot with your computer, the MBA may make more sense.

Just to put this sub-notebook in context, the MacBook Air is three times more powerful than the top of the range Sony VAIO I bought back in 2007. The progress made in processor technology over the last 48 months is astounding. By any objective standard, this is an impressive laptop computer. Like all Apple products its longevity will more than justify its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars You can and will not go wrong with this machine, 17 Dec 2010
Length:: 5:39 Mins

5.0 out of 5 stars air book discovered, 10 Mar 2011
John Roberts (KIDWELLY, Dyfed, GB) - See all my reviews
The best I could have imagined.
Great battery life.
I never liked a track pad, but this is easy to use and very friendly.
Light and easy to handle anywhere.
The best looking PC on the block.
The speed is second to none , and I live in an a very slow broadband location.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 26 Oct 2011
Being an IT professional and having used many laptops over the years, I am pleased with the weight and performance of the MacBook Air. I am the envy of my colleagues. It has largely made my iPad redundant. The flash storage makes the device silent and very performant. My first software addition was an upgrade to the Lion OS.

I would recommend one to anyone.

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely but overpriced, 15 Dec 2010
Keith Miller (Enfield, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are looking for a lightweight, stylish, secure and very fast laptop then this is the one for you. I'm not going to say that Apple is better than Microsoft because Windows 7 has narrowed the gap again. Both current OS are very good. To give you an idea of what I'm doing with this laptop, I mainly use Aperture, DxO Optics, Firefox, NeoOffice and Stellarium. You really can put this on your lap without cutting off the blood supply to your feet. The only downside so far is the very high cost, it should retail much closer to £1000.

March 30th 2013 update - I have been using this laptop for quite a while now. It is usually on for 12 hours a day and seems 'bullet proof'. I still think Apple charge too much for these, just because they can, but I have grown fonder of it with daily use and say "if you can afford it, get one". Think about connecting Apple's 27"screen to it as a great looking home desktop. It is a very desirable product, making it attractive to thieves, so go for the full 'belt and braces' on the security front - FileVault, a good back-up system (in addition to Time Machine, which falls a long way short of perfect), a strong password and use the Cloud via Dropbox as an absolute minimum!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best laptop ever, 26 Feb 2014
The most amazing piece of technology. Lightweight, beautiful and powerful. It's my new best friend and goes everywhere with me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas present, 6 Mar 2013
Bought this for my daughter as her Christmas present (2012), in the knowledge that it wasn't the latest spec MacBook Air from Apple, but it is still a very capable machine, which was bought for a great price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Love the laptop but used not new when I received it, 12 Feb 2013
Jill (Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
The MacBook Air is fantastic ... Used to Microsoft and I have had to wait for my children to show me how to use it and transfer my documents! When my son finally did this two months or so after purchase he found documents already on this laptop that were nothing to do with me. THIS COMPUTER HAD BEEN USED BEFORE I RECEIVED IT ... I bought it as new. Should have complained but it was too far away from purchase. Beware the BUY IT LOVE IT seller.