5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 6 Dec 2010
This review is from: New MacBook Air 11 inch Laptop(Intel Core 2 Duo 1.4GHz, 2GB RAM, 128GB Flash Storage, NVIDIA GeForce 320M Graphics) - launched October 2010 (Electronics)
I bought my 11 inch MacBook Air on Sunday (not from Amazon) after my old laptop (a 3 year old HP) stopped working and I must say that so far I am seriously impressed with it. It handles everything so effortlessly and it is a stunning looking machine. It makes every other laptop I have ever used (my HP, dell and several sony Vaio's) seem cheap and nasty by comparison and I had forgotten how much better the Mac operating system is compared to windows (I used to have a G3 many years ago).
Obviously you have to weigh up whether the lack of any sort of cd/dvd rom drive is going to be an issue (i personally see discs being phased out in the near future) and there is also a question over the capacity of the ssd, although using an external drive is a simple solution. But if, like me, this is not an issue then you won't go far wrong with this MacBook.
There are alot of Mac haters out there that will probably slate this machine but to be honest I think that the reason some people hate Macs is simply because they haven't got or used one themselves.
Put simply, this is a fantastic machine that may seem expensive but for your money you are getting a fast, beautifully made and designed machine with none of the problems inherent with pc's (viruses and poor o.s).

Do yourself a favour and buy one as soon as you can.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing, 27 Dec 2010
years back when i was fed up with a slowing windows based laptop issued at work i went out and bought a mbp and loved it, but over time the weight and size and the then better issues of windows laptops at work a few years after i bought my original one meant i went back to windows. here i am again, a few more years down the road and again an ever slowing windows portable being carried around which seems to take forever to boot and generally run. so i went out and bought the macbook air 11 1.6ghz 4mb, admittedly a slightly different version than this one but i bought it off the shelf in a store in singapore. i've had it for a week now and simply put i am floored... the things i love:
1. instant resume on opening of the lid
2. great battery life
3. great performance - plenty of windows open and works fine
4. size and weight means i carry it everywhere - from my bed to anywhere around the house
5. great network access: i own an android mobile and these have a feature allowing it to act as a portable wifi hotspot - and you can do this whilst making calls so it's not either/or - and, for example, when i was on an airplane shortly after landing i turned on my phone (takes 3 keystrokes to turn on wifi hotspot) and opened my laptop and pretty much as soon as i was past the login screen the laptop was already connected to the internet via my android and within 15 seconds emails were rolling in to my inbox. never never could this happen this quickly on a windows based laptop and rarely does it work without sooner or later needing to reboot the laptop or something...
6. easy to run off another monitor - i have a 23inch monitor i work which i connect to the mba
7. i really like some of the cool features of msoffice 2011 for mac - it means i don't run parallels/windows - and yes some features are missing but there are also some new features on this version that don't exist on windows
8. the trackpad is really great

all in all very pleased. i think i'll be fine on disk space. i also have an iPad but have given that to the family to play with as i think the mba does mostly what i need - and it has flash which of course you don't have on the iPad.

somewhat of a downside as other people have said is the lack of a backlit keyboard which not only looks good but is practical when sitting in bed early in the morning tapping away, or indeed on an airplane.

screen size is fine too

i highly recommend this...

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a Mac Fan, but appreciate this beauty, 16 Dec 2010
Used MACs a long time ago didn't care for them, I'm a cynical-IT-Professional of 20 years.
Bought this for my wife when her laptop broke because I saw it and it is a piece of beauty.
But the beauty is not skin deep! Its powerful enough, never gets hot (no moving parts), quiet (no fan) everything works on it - well done Apple, I'm not converted, but I really approve!

It's been really easy to configure it for sharing with my home network (Windows XP, Windows 7 based) - so far so good. I'm used to LINUX and UNIX so I appreciate the internals, my wife only knew Windows, but she took to it like a duck to water. I had an assignment to hand in so could not spend any time that weekend to set it up, no need and no interruptions all weekend.

I just need to find a good lightweigtht external DVD drive, I heard bad reviews on the apple site about the "superdrive".

Why not 5 stars? I'm a cynic remember, my better-half would give it 5 though.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic - but not to everyone's taste., 31 Jan 2011
Mr. I. Fawcett "IanF" (ENGLAND) - See all my reviews
I won't delve too much into the Mac OS (Operating System), as it is well analysed across the web (Type in Mac Snow Leopard review into Google) and I generally find it easy to use, highly intuitive and near perfection. More importantly, It is the hardware that makes this laptop stand out from the other MacBooks on sale today. Why? Well, despite it's quite poor but good enough 1.4ghz Core 2 Duo processor, which these days is regarded as ''Last Generation'' and ''Slow'', this laptop is very speedy! This is mainly down to the Flash storage, which has replaced the conventional hard drive.

Everyday tasks such as Web browsing are made much faster, a huge benefit to the user. And the loading of Apps such as Adobe Photoshop and Microsoft Office are very fast, generally between 2 and 5 seconds, compared to 10-30 second loading times that owners of the standard MacBook and even MacBook Pros are used to! Instant on is also a key feature, meaning there is less time spent waiting for this laptop to boot, and more time enjoying the laptop.

I conclude that for those who's needs are simple, e.g. web browsing, occasional iMovie, iPhoto, word processing use etc, this laptop is certainly for you. The speed of this laptop for these tasks is truly outstanding. Adobe apps such as Photoshop will also run well. However, do not expect heavy usage out of this thing! The processor, which is weaker compared to it's MacBook Pro cousins' Core i5/i7, will usually not handle heavy photo or video editing. Yet the virtually non-existant weight and size of the MacBook Air, which is it's main selling point, may appeal to some professionals who want to use this as a secondary computer, and travel frequently.

8/10. A better processor and SD card slot (perhaps larger storage capacity) would bring perfection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deceptively satisfying, 22 April 2011
Having used a 1st gen MacBook Air (launched c. 2008), I was very pleasantly surprised by this model. Stunned even.

I have had this for six weeks and it remains super-snappy and responsive. The onboard SSD makes a huge difference and the modest 2GB seems plenty, somehow. (On my Mac Mini I have 8GB of RAM, it has a spinning hard drive and it is better than this for things like casual web surfing & word processing)

This isn't cheap, but it's good value. If someone in your household/family is in school, you may just qualify for an educational discount, if you order by phone or online from the Apple Education Store. That said, every now and then, Amazon reduces the price even further so it's an idea to keep checking this page.

This is the future of laptops. If you travel a lot on planes, this is a delight to have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect computer for certain people., 4 May 2011
I previously had the Unibody Macbook until I sold it so I could buy the Macbook Air. My logic was that the only things I would miss would be the Dvd/CD drive, which I had used probably less than 10 times in over a year of use. The other thing that I would lose would be memory, however with external harddrives becoming so cheap that really wasn't much of an issue either, however I did think the 64gb Air would have been too small, so this 128gb model was definitely more appealing. I also did my research into Solid State Drives and I was pleased to discover that the type of things I do on a computer are better suited to having a Solid State Drive.

I've had my Macbook Air now for a couple of weeks and I am impressed, the portability of it is easy to explain, you simply bring it everywhere with you without a second thought, (which is helped now by the Wifi hotspot you can set up on your iPhone.) I never did that with my 13 inch Macbook. The weight of it is part of it, but I actually think the 11 inch size is the more important factor, I did not even consider getting the 13 inch Air, you lose the portability, sure its thin, but so is a sheet of A3 paper, it doesn't make it ultra portable. Once you get up to the 13 inch Air, the real question is why not just get a Pro?

For people who are concerned about using it as their main computer, I would suggest taking a look at what you actually do on your computer, an SSD might actually suit you better. Applications open instantly, the computer turns on instantly and the computer is silent as there is no traditional hard drive making loads of noise. The 128gb size on this computer could be enough to get by on, however I think most people would also need an external Hard Drive.

So in conclusion the Macbook Air 11 inch suits me perfectly, I wanted an ultra portable computer that wasn't dumbed down and I didn't mind there being no DVD/CD drive, (however the Samsung DVD/CD drives are very good value, so that doesn't need to be an issue either) The SSD suited my uses better and for the things I do it is actually considerable faster than my old Macbook, which would appear superior on paper.

Also keep checking on Amazon for a good deal, because the price I paid for mine was a steal.
Oh and it is easily the coolest computer I've ever used.

4.0 out of 5 stars NEW 11'' MacBook Air, 17 Nov 2010
DR. B. A. USMAN (Maiduguri, Borno State Nigeria) - See all my reviews
The keyboard lighting and longer battery life are few important features i expected in the much advertised new 11'' MacBook Air. The shorter battery life couple with larger charger has deprived the ultra thin tool the connivence of making it a mobile machine as there is little or no difference with 13'' MacBook Pro which has some better features. For those of us in the tropical Sahelian region of Africa (Nigeria) theMacBook Air and iPhone 4os get heated when used continuously for 2 to 3 hours. This i did not experience it while using MacBook Pro or iMac.
On the whole, MacBook Air is a very good tool for the purpose for which it was design.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best MacBook Air EVER!, 27 April 2011
Vitor Fernandes (São Paulo, Brazil) - See all my reviews
My first MacBook Air was the original 1.6GHz 13" and it was plagued with many issues, like overheating causing the speed to go down to 800MHz and one of the two cores shutting down, making it worse than an Eee PC. Moreover, battery was short on charge, never exceeding 1:30-2h run time. Sold it for a MacBook Pro 13".

When Apple announced the MacBook Air 11" it was like a dream came true, because I had this feeling it was the perfect size for an ultra-portable. I was afraid it would have the same performance issues or short battery but I must say, it's the perfect performance ratio for anyone doing web, light photo editing on the go and much more.

Don't be put off by the 1.4GHz Core2 Duo processor, it's overall performance is much greater than previous 1.6GHz Macs and on pair with some 1.83GHz machines, making it great for most tasks.

And to my surprise, I'm consistently getting over 4h of battery use on a single charge, at least!

5.0 out of 5 stars MacBook Air, 26 May 2011
What a fantastic piece of technology. It is like the future of laptops. Bit pricie but worth the money in the long run. If you got money to spend then buy this...enough said.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE LOVE LOVE it!!!, 27 May 2011
Yes its expensive but this is a fabulous machine - we are very happy with it and are complete mac converts. If you can afford this why would you not?! If you can't afford it forgo a few nights out and save up for this superior machine.