5.0 out of 5 stars Growing salads!
My 3 yr old granddaughter saw her dad growing herbs and wanted to grow something herself, so we ordered this set for her to grow on the windowsill. She is excited as it is something that she can eat, not just flowers. She has planted the seeds and is eagerly awaiting her harvest. Excellent gift idea or if you want to have salad greens all year round.
Published on 2 Oct 2011 by June Roy

3.0 out of 5 stars Really small
I saw the previous reviews said that this item is 'little'. But it still way too 'little' than I expected.
I have measured the outer size of the small wooden trough, it has the size of 9,5 x 34 cm.
Hope it can help others to imagine the real size before you buy it.
The picture is a real illusion.
Published on 28 Nov 2011 by mm

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Really small, 28 Nov 2011
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
Hope it can help others to imagine the real size before you buy it.
The picture is a real illusion.

3.0 out of 5 stars A great gift idea, but don't expect too much, 1 Jun 2011
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
I'm a big fan of the 'grow your own' ideology and though I have an outside garden, I wanted something I could grow in my kitchen as well. I purchased this salad kit alongside the 'herb' kit thinking that it would suffice my needs for having cut and come again lettuces without having to venture too far up my garden.

This little trough is nice enough on appearance alone, although when I say 'little' I do mean little! As the other reviewer has already pointed out, the picture makes it look a lot bigger than it actually is- so I'm glad I ordered the herb version as well- I have them both sat together on the kitchen windowsill- with room to spare of course. I also don't think that I'm going to get too much salad out of this to be honest either- out of the five packets of seeds advertised, I only got two sent in the pack for some reason, which was a bit disappointing.

The wooden trough is actually fairly well made however- a little distressed looking which gives it a traditional, country kitchen feel. It comes lined with plastic to save the tub getting too wet when watered. What I like most about the trough is that it looks nice and that you have it to re-use in future. I foresee me having this on my windowsill for a while, definitely- though I doubt I will continue to use it for salad leaves. I'll probably put more herbs in it instead to be honest.

I think this would make a lovely little gift for someone to introduce them to growing their own for the first time, or even for someone who doesn't have a garden of their own who would still like to grow things (very small things!). Taking the size of the wooden planter into consideration, I'd personally recommend getting two of the Unwin kits for one average sized window sill. There's also a mediterranean herbs kit and a regular herb kit, (of which I already own) and given the price of them at the moment, they're actually a real bargain!

2.0 out of 5 stars Save yourself the trouble and the money, 30 Nov 2013
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
I have bought 4 units units from Unwins (two salad mix and two varieties).
The salad mixes come in one long compartment, the varieties have four small pots each.

From the variety (2x4 small pots):
4 types of seed failed to go up - complete dead
Out of the four that did two were descent strength and quality the remaining two withered.
That gives a hit rate of 25% which I consider a waste of money and time.
Spare yourself the frustration.

The quality of the seeds aside these pots are way to small which means that you need to water them every single day in the warm periods which is just impractical.

Pros: The product looks good however having nice looking but empty of dried out pots is besides the point

NOT recommended, very bad value for money

1.0 out of 5 stars Product not complete, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
I purchased both the herb and this salad kitchen garden kit. The herb kit is fine and just as expected, this salad kitchen garden kit contained only the wooden box, soil and one packet of seeds, there was no remaining seeds and no plastic containers as stated. I was unable to have the option of emailing the seller to confirm my issue (as I would normally do if there were items missing from something I purchased online), you only have the option of completely returning the item for a replacement or refund or exchanging it for something in your basket?! I found this ridiculous, due to personal circumstances I am unable to access the Post Office or other postal service during working hours, I am therefore unable to return this for a replacement and also do not believe I should pay postage for attending to this when it is the fault of the seller and therefore it would appear I have spent money for something which is incomplete and I am now going to have to spend additional money to purchase plastic tubs and seeds. I would not purchase from this seller again as I would not trust it to arrive as stated and their returns policy is not user friendly.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its Small, 1 Feb 2011
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
Picture is misleading, it is very small. Does not come with enough seeds, I had to purchase more. But if you are unsure of what to purchase as a gift, this is more than suitable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Growing salads!, 2 Oct 2011
June Roy (Georgetown, Ontario, CA) - See all my reviews

1.0 out of 5 stars Unwins Salads, 21 April 2013
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
I previously wrote a note stating I could not review this item until the weather broke. Well today, May 2013, I finally opened this "Christmas present" & what a con!

First, all the plant pots are missing.

Second, only two seed packets are in the wooden box, one 'Spinbeet', as advertised & the other for 'mixed meadow flowers'. If I wanted meadow flowers I would have b****y well ordered meadow flowers!

So, UNWINS, either your staff are nicking the products or you are telling untruths in your advertising.

I tried contacting you about this, but the 'contact seller' has been removed from the feedback list...so this is my feedback to you for all the world to see!
Have a nice day!

4.0 out of 5 stars u get what u pay for, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
i really liked this the desvription was accurate but agree it wouldnt suffice a family salad but for a hoknt to a salasd that youve grown yourself yummy!! will get the herb tray next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great !, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
Bought for my wife and she was over the moon, exactly what it said on the packet ! Well chuffed !

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, 28 Nov 2013
This review is from: Unwins Salad Kitchen Garden Kit (Garden & Outdoors)
Perfect for a window sill- great item and great for a gift. I would recommend this to friends! Fast delivery

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›