4.0 out of 5 stars Too much blah but very very nice
Bought this to replace a laptop in its dying gasps so I wasn't after a really slick machine, just something to do my coursework and presentations on if the laptop gives in before I've saved for a PC.
Delivery was prompt and the netbook was well packed so very happy there.
Published on 11 Feb 2011 by Sarah in the sky

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Netbook
Published on 31 Mar 2011 by kinghome

4.0 out of 5 stars Too much blah but very very nice, 11 Feb 2011
Delivery was prompt and the netbook was well packed so very happy there.
Once I opened the laptop it looks very good, sturdy and sits well on my legs even with the screen tipped back fairly far.
This netbook is stuffed full of software and update managers that you don't want, don't need and just slow it down. I got rid of all of them using a free online program, as I'm not so technically minded. That and a 2GB RAM upgrade, which was incredibly easy to do, even for me, means the laptop runs fairly well, even with multiple jobs.

Very strangely you're given Microsoft works with no product key. Pretty annoying when you have to go through the configuration step every time you start it until the trail runs out, and I've got no money left to buy it properly.

The webcam is pretty poor.

Overall I love this netbook, with the caveat that I didn't love it so much until all the rubbish got removed and I bought extra RAM. But that's such an easy thing anyone could do, it shouldn't put you off buying this.

5.0 out of 5 stars samsung N220, 6 Mar 2011
This review is from: Samsung N220 Plus 10.1 inch Netbook (Intel Atom N450 1.66GHz, RAM 1GB, HDD 250GB, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Starter) - Red (Personal Computers)
"Which" recommended this netbook as a best buy and I am delighted with it .
It arrived well packaged and within a few days of ordering.
The instructions to set up were easy to follow, and it found the wireless adsl immediately.
( I still dont understand how to insert the product key though, which it asks for when opening some picture emails. The 20 digit number is written on the underneath of the netbook but when you type those digits in the box provided, a message comes back saying its not accepted...?)
Its compact, easy to operate and looks good too which is a bonus . The keyboard keys are raised and well spaced out which is good if you two finger tye!
The small screen takes a little getting used to but increasing the zoom level can compensate and make things a little easier on the eye. Having said that , the type is still very clear even when small.
The portability is brilliant and although the netbook is light it feels very sturdy, and sits easily on my lap. It does get a little warm after a long stint, but that says more about the fact that its so great to use , its easy to forget the time!
The battery level readings are a bit confusing as the % doesnt seem to tally with the figure the time remaining indicates. I thought the battery would last for 8 hours but I realise now this depends on what you use it for. However its really easy to recharge , so this is not an issue.

I spent a long time looking for a netbook as was initially thorougly confused by just how many things should be considered when buying. The choice is so vast and its a lot of money to spend to get it wrong. Having decided on the Samsung it does everything I want quickly and efficiently so am happy to recommend it (especially to those like me who are not computer experts)

Having read many of the reviews from previous customers it would be nice to know specifically which of the samsung programmes can safely be uninstalled for someone using the netbook for basic useage ie internet and word processing, plus storing photos.

4.0 out of 5 stars Samsung N220 Netbook, 15 Mar 2011
This is a little star of a machine and well worth the money, It is light, easy to use and very good looking. It takes about an hour to set up and run and after that it has all been plain sailing. The only reason it has not got five stars is the memory. IGB is not enough so I had to purchase an upgrade for about 25 which was really easy to fit. The covery is labelled "memory" so you know where to go and there after one screw and a clip does the job. If you are looking for a netbook I would recommend this one wholeheartedly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent little machine, 15 Mar 2011
L. Jaeger (Oxford UK) - See all my reviews
Bought as an ultra-mobile windows machine for a travelling and light tasks this little machine does not disappoint. I upgraded RAM to 2gb which makes a difference particularly with multiple programmes open. It is even capable of handling photoshop editing though refresh times are noticeably longer than my trusted but aging Sony Vaio SZ.
The fast boot up time is great and although I had initial concerns about the size of the screen to date this has not been a problem for reading or editing. The keyboard, though taking a little getting used to, is well laid out and ergonomically sound. With a 250gb hard drive and 3x usb2 ports this should be adequate for most people's needs. The battery life is impressive and it is great not having to lug cables everywhere.
I may upgrade from the Windows 7 Starter edition operating system, but at present can find little justification as despite being mean it works just fine.
All in all, a delightful product at a great price which equals one very happy customer. My only gripe is the bloatware that all Samsung netbooks seem to be shipped with and the length of time required to set the machine up. By the way, this product model shipped with a protective zipped sleeve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little netbook but does needs some initial tweeking, 3 May 2011
My 1st Netbook, looks stunning and keyboard is a decent size, have no issues either watching movies on the 10.1 inch screen and very easy to setup and connect to my home and office wifi.

However you really need to invest in Windows 7 Home Premium as Windows 7 starter is pretty rubbish - cannot set your own desktop background for a start.

Also invest in a 2 Gb RAM upgrade , such as the product below , it makes a huge difference to the performance of the Netbook.

Finally I removed basically all the pre-installed Samsung software and the McAfee software and just installed free versions of anti-virus software that I have used in the past such as Avast, I also installed SRWare Iron web browser which is very light and not resource hungry at all. It is free and a far better browser than Chrome, Firefox or IE in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Travel Computer, 29 Mar 2011
G. K. Jennings (Southend on Sea, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Like most Netbooks, this is a little slow for general everyday internet use but it is an ideal computer for travelling, especially abroad. Small, light and with a reasonable battery life. And as I have discovered to my cost, it is better to leave your main laptop at home when travelling the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely little computer, 18 Mar 2011
There were no reviews of this when I ordered it, but I'd been reading reviews of (mainly) the N210+, and this seemed to have similar innards and gubbins, but was available in green, and at that time was actually cheaper than the N210+!

I am not disappointed, it's light, with a good keyboard. I haven't tried it for watching videos, so I can't comment on that, but I find the screen bright and clear for documents, web browsing etc.

The Windows 7 Starter seems fine, and will probably suffice for my purposes, though I might be tempted to buy an Upgrade key for Home Premium (currently 45 on Amazon as I write). The full Windows 7 version is already installed (see Windows Anytime Upgrade in the Start menu), you just need to buy the upgrade key to unlock it.

I have uninstalled much of the bloatware which comes on it, though some items I wasn't sure about so I've left them there.

A 60 day trial of Office 2007 is installed, but as a long-time user of Office 2003 (and Office for Mac 2004, practically the same thing) I hated 2007, found it very frustrating to use. So I uninstalled it and bought 2003 full Pro version, which runs fine on Win 7. You could also download OpenOffice for free if you prefer.

I did find the response a bit slow, so got the 2Gb memory, which was very easy to install, and does help a lot.

Lastly, I was curious about transferring my music from iTunes on my Mac, which was backed up on DVDs. I downloaded iTunes to the N220 for free, and connected an external dvd drive (Samsung Slim) and inserted the back-up DVDs, which happily "restored" everything to the netbook.

I did find the track pad awkward, the left/right buttons are very close to the pad and I seemed to be touching the pad and doing unintended moves each time I clicked a button. Anyway, I prefer to use a small mouse with this netbook, and have disabled the trackpad, so it's not an issue.

I can recommend this for travelling, and as a very good music player connected to your stereo at home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value, 24 May 2011
It does need the extra memory, and do uninstall the bloatware but once that's done it's great! Got set up in no time, running perfectly well and best of all it has great battery life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Samsung N220 netbook, 12 Mar 2011
Frank Wood (West Midlands, UK) - See all my reviews
I'm very pleased with this purchase. The netbook has a wonderful non-reflctive screen preventing virtually all distracting reflections and the battery life means that it is truly portable. My only quibble was the limited 1GB memory but upgrading to 2GB was simple and relatively cheap.An excellent machine.

1.0 out of 5 stars Rubbish Netbook, 31 Mar 2011
This has to be the slowest and most frustrating computer I've had the misfortune to own even though I purchased it with the memory upgrade (2gb). DON'T BUY ONE! I bought it because I used to have a Samsung N110 which was a great net-book with a long battery life. Personally I don't think it's powerful enough to run windows 7. If you want to continually watch progress bars and the mouse doing its thinking/busy (egg timer) bit then you'll enjoy it. When viewing photos in the photo albums, instead of the thumbnails loading instantly like other laptops this can take several minutes depending how many photos are in the album. I've now started splitting my photos in to more and more folders. The best screen resolution is 1024x600 but for some applications I have to change the screen resolution to 1024x768 and then change it back again to view anything otherwise it all appears 'stretched'. When booting up, switch it on and go run a bath! Yes, it takes that long. Unfortunately, I bought it and left the UK for a 6 months' work contract otherwise I would be trying to take this further.