5.0 out of 5 stars Dazzling playing
Purists would shudder in horror at these Italian baroque pieces, none of which was written for the trumpet (the natural trumpet of the time being quite incapable of playing any of them). However, I'm not a purist and I thoroughly enjoyed these bright, bouncy pieces, played with gorgeous, burnished tone, tremendous fluidity and enormous technical facility...
Published on 2 Nov 2010 by Teemacs

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy on the ear
I think that these concerti work better on the instruments for which they were written. I did like it but all the while I'm saying 'I wish they'd use the proper instruments.'
Published 11 months ago by Boulanger

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Classical Trumpet Player records a sensational disc, 8 Dec 2010
This review is from: Italian Concertos (Audio CD)
Amazon dealt well with my order for Alison Balsom'recording of Italian Concertos. Fabulous music delivered promptly to my door. Couldn't be a better performance by either Alson or Amazon. Well done! How could we manage without you?
Brian Baker

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Case of Excellency, 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: Italian Concertos (Audio CD)
It's more than a pleasure to hear Ms Balsom interpretation of these famous Italian concertos on the trumpet. Excellent performance and excellent production.

5.0 out of 5 stars More than a trumpet, 29 Aug 2011
This review is from: Italian Concertos (Audio CD)
Alison on trumpet equals fab. I first heard a track on Classic FM and the Marcello concerto slow movement hooked me, trumpet-tone like some heavenly horn, smooth as oil (Shakespeare), warm as toast. I heard her in Deal Music Festival the other year playing under a spot light. Listening to any of her CDs will always help me to re-live that time. I'd love an interval between pieces with artist's commentary. We know she is an expert arranger for her instrument, modest too, and speaks well. See also [...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy on the ear, 29 Aug 2013
Boulanger (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italian Concertos (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Italian concertos, yes ! For trumpet, yes ... now !, 26 Dec 2011
Olivier Michon "Lire et voyager" (Paris, France) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Italian Concertos (Audio CD)
Italian Concertos ? Yes they are !
Alison Balsom is a great artist , indeed.
But,
I just went on A.Vivaldi violin Cto in A min (RV356) ... played by Itzhak Perlman (il violinista piu grande al mondo ?) Alison tempo is too fast, and trumpet is excellent, violin is more elegant ... doesn't need velocity.

In the 3 Oboe Ctos (Marcello (Alessandro) Oboe C min, Albinoni (Tomaso) Oboe Op.7 N3, Cimarosa (Domenico) Oboe (C min)), they suffer less from transcription.

Changing tone, such as Tartini (Giuseppe)(D53 ?) : Trumpet Concerto in D major, D. 53 (arrangement of Violin Concerto in E major) ?

I am happy to have Alison Record, I am just surprised . Even Bach transcriptions made on Vivaldi are ... different.
To Amazo.co.uk :
I said : "I am happy to have Alison Record" except for the crystal plastic box ... a bit crushed during delivery

3.0 out of 5 stars Italian Concertos, 20 Jun 2011
This review is from: Italian Concertos (Audio CD)
Some good arrangements and technically Bolsom plays very well but I can't help feel that there is something missing that gives me that special sound. The playing is just "too nice" and leaves you wanting more.Italian Concertos