5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing And Satisfying
This lovely album is the soundtrack to my summer 2011.
A dreamy,harmonious CD of eleven songs by relative newcomers Catherine and Allison Pierce,two gorgeous-looking girls from Alabama.Catherine has the more dominant personality and voice of the two,but they both blend together like honey and cream,producing a sound both sad and happy in equal measure.

My...
Published on 16 July 2011 by juliet R

3.0 out of 5 stars A collection of radio friendly tracks that nod to Fleetwood Mac, The Mamas & the Papas and Dixie Chicks.
Back in 2009, Catherine and Allison Pierce - two singing sisters raised in Alabama but living in New York - were ready to call it quits.
Three albums in, their harmony-filled folk-rock had failed to turn critical acclaim into commercial success and they'd had "the chat" about breaking up the band.
Then fate stepped forward in the unlikely shape of Coldplay...
Published on 4 Jun 2011 by write to zack

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing And Satisfying, 16 July 2011
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
This lovely album is the soundtrack to my summer 2011.

My almost favourite,Love You More,is the most catchy on the album.We Are Stars is very beautiful,with its yearning lyrics and melody you could drown in....it's a hard decision between this song and Love You More,for my favourite.

Glorious is the track I heard on the radio,on a Sunday morning.It caught my ear due to the melody and lovely harmonies.I find myself singing it at odd moments and relating to some of the lyrics.

A great package of precious songs which should be cherished in record collections everywhere.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant! A new favourite., 3 July 2011
Mrs. D. L. Cox (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: You & I (MP3 Download)
I am so pleased I took advantage of the download offer for this album. It is truly beautiful. Does sound alot like many of the seventies groups mentioned by others but there is something a little more modern to it also. The harmonies are great. I can see that this is going to be one of my most listened to/sung along to albums.

Can't wait to listen to it through headphones...lots of complex details.

5.0 out of 5 stars You & I .....superb, 23 Jun 2011
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
Like many others, heard them plugged on Radio 2 , liked the singles, bought the CD and it's one of the best records that I have heard for ages. Give it a few plays and you'll be hooked. I especially like "Love you More" but frankly all the tracks are good. Once you start listening more closely you really begin to appreciate all the close harmonies and musicianship. They are a really tight outfit. Sure there could be references to Fleetwood Mac et al. So what.......... being compared to a group like that should be treated as a compliment not a criticism! Buy it now, it's living up to all the hype.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, 2 July 2011
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
Well as mentioned by a previous comment the pierces are like a modern day Mamas and Papas......bloody marvelous, the whole album indeed is excellent, I bought it after hearing there fantastic track You'll be mine on radio 2. One of my favourite tracks on the album is Kissing you goodbye although I must say I really do quite like them all.

5.0 out of 5 stars POP IS ALIVE AND WELL!, 13 Jun 2011
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
You and I is a timely reminder that,even in 2011,it is still possible to write catchy tunes with clever lyrics.The Pierces take several influences and mould them into their own shapes.Echoes of the Mamas and Papas and Abba(albeit a much darker version)resonate but in the best possible way,never obscuring The Pierces own songwriting abilities.This is a beautifully sung and produced cd,no song outstays its welcome and the running time of around 40 minutes is just about perfect.The fact that Catherine and Alison Pierce are very attractive as well as talented cannot harm their cause either!Hats off to Guy Berryman too,Coldplay don't do much for me but the bassist obviously has great taste and judgement in spotting the potential of these sisters.This is music that breathes and is a great antidote to the dull,beat laden stuff that clogs up the charts.I hope that The Pierces go from strength to strength but even if they don't do anything else,they've done a lot of people a great favour with this release.Oh,and the final track 'I Put Your Records On' is one of the classiest songs i've heard in ages and finishes this cd off perfectly.If you like pop...BUY THIS!

5.0 out of 5 stars my new favourite album, 30 Jun 2011
AMAZING!!!!!!!
Like Mamas & Papas meet the Corrs. Heard a track on the radio then took a risk and bought the album.Every track is just brilliant. Either uplifting or thought provoking its top quality music. I can't shout about it enough

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic stuff!!!!, 3 July 2011
This review is from: You & I (MP3 Download)
An album so worth waiting for - they are just fantastic - if you were a Stevie Nicks fan, get it !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars the pierces, 30 Jun 2011
A wonderful CD - all the tracks are excellent
Would recommend to anyone who likes fleetwood mac with a twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasures from Pierces' rich power pop, 30 May 2011
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
Previous output from The Pierces has consisted of three albums of quirky folk-rock that made little impression on the mainstream. With their fourth release, the sisters have not so much embraced the mainstream, but driven headlong into it with the top down, dusting off their Bangles records in the process, while cruising along Mulholland Drive playing Fleetwood Mac and 'California Dreamin' back-to-back.

Derivative as the resulting album sounds, somehow it doesn't matter, as the sheer assault of lush power pop laced with glorious harmonies and heartbreaking melancholia is simply irresistible. The songwriting quality is high throughout, all but one of the eleven tracks having been penned by one or both of the Pierce sisters, Alison and Catherine. Songs like 'You'll Be Mine', 'Glorious' and 'Kissing You Goodbye' are drenched in a sunny Californian MOR sheen. While that phrase in itself might condemn this album with the kiss of death for many listeners, if anything were to rehabilitate the genre, the glorious 40 minutes of You And I deserves to play a significant part.

While Pierce afficionados may bemoan the fact that the band's earlier sound has been lost underneath several coats of Dulux non-drip gloss, for those discovering them for the first time, there is little to dislike on this album once prejudices have been put aside. Radio 2 programmers must be rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of amply fleshed-out playlists. For the rest of us, The Pierces have delivered a splendid no-frills slice of quality pop music, and these days that's no mean feat, and no bad thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant harmonies - I need more!, 12 July 2012
This review is from: You & I (Audio CD)
Wow I must admit that I had never heard of The Pierces until I read a review that suggested they sound like Fleetwood Mac. Having listened to the CD almost continuously in the car for the past week, I have to agree, they perform well crafted songs with similar harmonies and style to McVie and Nicks. Absolutely beautiful, but there are other hints and similarities that I also like - some of the songs bear resemblance to Mamas and Papas at their best.

I am completely blown away by this album. It is one of the best I have heard in years. If you like Fleetwood Mac, Mamas and the Papas or similar and long for a return to more innocent times, when there was a decent alternative to R&B, get this now!!!

You & I
You & I by The Pierces (Audio CD - 2011)