5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable happiness-buffet
I noticed another review, which gave "The Joy Diet" a single star and noted that no single menu or diet will grant you happiness. And I agree with the notion that happiness-in-a-jar isn't realistic, but I don't see "The Joy Diet" as a quick solution.

Published on 20 Nov 2007 by Louise Amkaer

3.0 out of 5 stars was ok
was expecting more , not for me this book , o much preferred 4 day win that was excellent and have re read that one.
Published 13 months ago by blissful lady

5.0 out of 5 stars A veritable happiness-buffet, 20 Nov 2007
Louise Amkaer (Greenland) - See all my reviews

Reading "The Joy Diet" I literally smiled and aha'ed a lot. I already know a lot of the issues, that Martha Beck addresses in the 10 menu items. I know that when I am stressed out, it is a good idea to have a time out and do nothing or that laughter is a great pick-me-up. These are just things that I keep forgetting - and therefore sometimes need to be reminded about.

The humorous packaging is hilarious and down to earth, which I really appreciate until most self-help books written by more or less pompous Messiahs.

So rather than happiness-in-a-jar I see "The Joy Diet" as a happiness-buffet with different inspirational menu items to get a step closer to happiness.

Louise

5.0 out of 5 stars Choosing happiness!, 25 April 2009
Martha Beck is my new hero! Her writing style is witty and down to earth, and she manages to write truisms in a way that have me both smacking my head and going 'of course!' at the same time as I feel like I'm having a mini epiphany.

In 'The Joy Diet', she makes the point several times that this is going to take time, and you have to give each 'menu item' time to sink in and become second nature before rushing ahead to the next one. Really, if you want to change your life - with this book or any other - that's sage advice: change does not come overnight, and you have to WORK at it!

A lot of what's written here is obvious, and yet so often pushed aside in our busy lives. Laugh more. Remember that it's all a game, of sorts, and what you think is unmovably true can be questioned. Just... do what makes you happy (I know, duh! And yet...). Spend time with people you love, and quietly with yourself. Find your dreams and work hard towards achieving them, however scary that is.

If you're a great big cynic, you'll undoubtedly mock this book's advice as simplistic. Once I would have agreed. Now, though, I realise that books like this are only there to help YOU figure out what's going on in YOUR head, if you're open to a bit of probing. I'm loving the way all of Martha Beck's books have made me stop and think a bit, and realise that a lot of it is all pretty obvious.

Now, excuse me while I go back to figuring out how to do Nothing at all for a bit!

3.0 out of 5 stars was ok, 17 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought For A Friend, 25 July 2012
Mr. JW Mowat (UK) - See all my reviews
Apparently this book had been recommended to a friend of mine,
and she had lost hers, so here we are. The book arrived promptly and was well packed.
Thanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Give yourself the gift of joy, 26 Aug 2009
Lova - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Wonderful book full of ideas and tips on how to be joyful. Highly recommended if you are looking for reminders that life can be wonderful, that you can be joyful and happy. This is truly food for the soul. The writting is lighthearted, funny, engaging. Martha Beck knows how to lead you to your own path of joy. Give yourself this book as a gift, you will love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joy Diet, 13 May 2009
D. Hart (scotland) - See all my reviews
I have been enjoying this book. I like the fact that you incorporate them into your life one per week and go at your own pace.

2.0 out of 5 stars It may make you feel good, but you won't have a joy cake at the end of it., 26 Feb 2007
Witty and easy to read, The Joy Diet attempts to do the impossible - make you happy by using a particular recipe. Nevertheless, the first chapter on 'doing nothing' is refreshingly brutal about the difficulty this activity entails... and does hint at the nature of joy - spontaneous and, in my view, 'undoable'. Many of the following nine steps are about doing less - and how to do that!!!

If you want some tips about creating a greater sense of well being in your life then this is a rich and wholesome menu. If you're looking for permanent joy of the kind she describes you won't find it by sticking to ANY menu, even if doing nothing is included in it.