Decided to buy this as I like Fantasy and was a snip at just under a quid. I wasn't expecting much but to my surprise I really enjoyed it. I really liked the mixture of humans, fey and Vampires in a world decimated by a strange plague and in which all things fey are seen to be demonic by the remainder of the human population, and therefore must be destroyed...
Published on 31 Oct 2010 by Kali

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but
I've given this 2 stars, the first for the price (free) and the 2nd for the germ of a good book that is buried within.

Published on 5 Nov 2010 by Caro

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but, 5 Nov 2010
This review is from: Glamour: Dystopian Romance (Rae Wilder Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

It is obviously written for a teenage readership and the basic plot shows promise however it is in need of editing and polishing. Words are misused "rung" instead of "wrung", "fairies" appears where "fairy's" is clearly meant and I have no idea what "clocked" should have been - possibly looked? All this should have been corrected before publication.

The plot is somewhat repetitive; for example we are told that Rae doesn't like to be touched more often than necessary and there is lots of running through forests.

Some of the prose sounds like it would be more at home in a Mills & Boon than modern fantasy/horror - "Placing a hand on my hip, I clutched the other over my poor poor heart that may give out any day" is just one example.

Overall I've read worse but there is better fantasy out there Having said that as it is currently free you have nothing to lose by downloading and reading it for yourself!

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy read, 9 Nov 2010
I downloaded this book primarily as it was free and I am glad that I did. It is most definitely no literature classic but the tale in itself is engaging enough. The prose is simple in nature and very easy to read.

The book is set in a world of demons and humans and focuses on two days in the life of the main character Rae as she discovers her lineage and who she really is. Her life is complicated by her developing relationships between Breandan and Tomas.

The book is aimed at teenage girls but as a slightly older female it held my interest long enough to finish it at one sitting and I may even be tempted to buy the next book when it is published next year. (albeit that I was supposed to be studying and I found this book to be a welcome distraction)

I would recommend this book to readers who enjoy supernatural romantic themes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Where all things fey & human are not always quite what they seem, 31 Oct 2010

Enter Rae, a girl who thinks she is 18 and human but finds out otherwise and meet her friends and enemies, some want to kill her, some want to love her and some want to bind her.

A good Kindle Book and I will be buying the sequel when it comes out.

1.0 out of 5 stars Horrendously badly written., 22 April 2011
L. Morris "Avid Reader" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
When I read the product description for this book I thought that it sounded like a really interesting idea and as it was free I gave it a go. However, I was sorely disappointed. It might have been a good idea, but the whole thing is so badly written I could barely get through it.
The writing is so convoluted that at times I had to read certain paragraphs over and over just to try and make sense of them. As for the fairy/vampire love triangle, I can't help feeling that Penelope Fletcher may have been a little too influenced by the Twilight novels.
In all, I would say don't do it, but as I appear to be going against the grain here (24 five star reviews!?!) I would suggest you try it for yourself. So long as it remains free that is.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good debut novel, 10 Jan 2011
Amazon Customer (Oldham, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
For a free book this was actually pretty good. There were grammatical errors but once you get past that This is quite a decent short read.

It's a YA book, and I found it to fit well in the category. I didn't really find it as gory or bloodthirsty as other reviewers have done but perhaps years of horror/paranormal books and TV programmes have desensitised me.

The main thing that prevented me enjoying this book was it's pace. It wasn't that it was slow- it was too fast! I felt that I was dragged along for the ride in Rae's world with not a clue what was going on at the beginning. I just didn't feel the author had enough skill yet to carry that off. Too much was either unexplained or under explained which was a shame because the concept of Rae's world was fascinating with the different types of supernatural being and the post apocalyptic type setting.

It is the first in a series and I would like to continue with the second book to see how the storyline develops and answers some of the questions I had about Rae's world. I usually find that it's the second book of a series that makes or breaks it for me so I am looking forward to seeing what Rae's future holds......

2.0 out of 5 stars good potential but fails to deliver, 13 Feb 2011
i am a fantasy fan but downloaded this because it was free and was disappointed anyway. the story has potential to be interesting and enjoyable but the characters are shallow and the storyline too.

the characters are given little time to develop before the story overtakes and moves at an overly dramatised and schizophrenic pace leading to places that do not always make sense.

reading it was not unlike reading the diary of a teenager who watches too much gossip girl and vampire diaries.

i dont think teen fiction needs to read like this. overall disappointing but at least it was free.

2.0 out of 5 stars yuck...twilight, 5 Feb 2011
first off, its free at the moment. decided to download as one of my first few books, and while the storyline at its basics (demons+ humans almost extinct+ refugee style camp) has amazing potential, it soon becomes a twi-fest. vampires, fairies who wear no shirts, total mary sue who is actually a fairy, running through the woods away from danger while being protected by the fairies... plus full of grammatical errors(and yes i do realise that so is this review, but the kindle keyboard isnt great for writing)

2.0 out of 5 stars Spelling mistakes everywhere, 9 Feb 2012
It's free so you have to give it something for that, but the amount of spelling mistakes through out it make it so difficult to read, and at times I couldn't work out who was talking, I don't understand why with all the reviews mentioning the spelling mistakes why its not being edited and put back up, it could be done without losing all the reviews etc and then you might stop getting all the 1 - 2 star reviews.
Personally I couldn't wait to finish it so I could get on to something else that I enjoyed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good concept but jumps all over the place, 15 Sep 2011
Ms. K. Kaburara "Kimbugs" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
The story starts well, and somewhere in there is a good story line. It just jumped from place to place. It ends on a cliff hanger, but I'm not in a hurry to buy the sequel. I wish a good editor could help rescue this good story from such poor writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic new saga, 35DaysLater review., 18 May 2011
I love reading books by indie writers, their ideas are often so fresh and uncomplicated by the big business of publishing and they can deal an uncomprimised version of the tales they wish to tell.
This is so much the case with Penelope Fletcher. I have just finished the first in her series of Rae Wilder novels, Demon Girl, and haven't come across anything this good, this vibrant in ages, a full blooded fairytale for grown-ups.

`Demon Girl' is about Rae, an orphan brought up within the walls of possibly the last human encampament after `the rupture', when the supernatural world took out its fury against humankind, the evil of vampires, shapeshifters, goblins and witches ravaged the world and fed off the remnants. The surviving humans pulled together to create a settlement to protect themselves and fight back. There was no other way.
Into this the fairies are dragged, being seen as another form of Demon and hunted by the Clerics, the ruling human class, trained to protect and fight the Demons and training the next generation, the Disciples, of which Rae is one. Rae is thrown into the middle of this, discovering her own unknown secrets, her link with the cause of the troubles surrounding the world and the role she must play within it all.

The story has been incredibly well put together, leading from each event to the next at breakneck speed, dragging you into the mayhem. The characters are excellent. Fairies aren't portrayed as your average tinkerbell, but are majestic, magical beings of untold beauty holding the power of the world in balance. The dialogue is modern and doesn't look back at the perfect pronunciations, but an evolution of language as barriers breakdown across humanity and time takes its toll. You feel the dialects, the way language has disintegrated as chaos descends over the earth. From a story telling point of view there is no single race that is pure and wonderful, all have their own foibles and failings, struggling to keep their kind going, one way or another, for that is all each race has left...

Brilliant writing and story telling from a new and young author who is pushing the boundaries of this genre in some beautiful directions.

Add-on - In the time it took to write this review I got sidetracked so badly by the second book in the series that I've now finished that too. Now I'm waiting to get my hands on the next, her writing is that addictive.