4.0 out of 5 stars Before The Bookman, 29 Aug 2009
Mr. N. G. Ayres (UK) - See all my reviews
An Occupation of Angels is a master-class in pulp fiction; the pace is break-neck, with the book reading like a cross between Ian Fleming's James Bond and Gregory Widen's The Prophecy. It's maybe like the impression we'd have of Brian Lumley's `Necroscope' if he'd stripped back the characterisation and had stopped writing after the first, superior installment of his series.

4.0 out of 5 stars A ripping yarn, 16 April 2012
A. Skudder (Crawley, West Sussex) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: An Occupation of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I was a bit wrong-footed by this story. Having read the Bookman by the same author I was expecting more of the same and it took me a while to understand what was going on.

I was a little disappointed that there was no explicit explanation of exactly where these angels came from, and why, but for most of it the pace was so fast there was no time to think about that sort of thing.

The hero is actually a heroine, which makes a change for adventure-based stories, and at such a reasonable price I can live with the lack of background detail, which is possibly being left vague to leave the door open for sequels.

4.0 out of 5 stars An Occupation of Angels, 15 Mar 2012
This review is from: An Occupation of Angels (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book. The mix of a traditional spy story and the fact that this was an alternative history where angels had come to occupy the earth made for a very interesting read. I thought the pace was good and the action was believeable. The thing I enjoyed most was the imagery of the angels themselves, almost holed up in these vast buildings like St Paul's cathedral. I would reccomend it to anyone who likes a story with a lot of action and a plot that is different enough to hold their attention.

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy to read and enjoyable book, 10 Aug 2011
This review is from: An Occupation of Angels (Kindle Edition)
This is a short story that flies by at such a rate it almost felt like flash fiction.

Mr Tidhar is a well travelled chap, and this comes out in his vivid description of various places across the world. It is even more impressive that he manages it with a minimal amount of words.

This story is based around the premise that Angels came to earth and ended the Second World War. The cold war turns out to be rather different. Angels are not quite how we imagine them to be, and mankind lives in fear of these capricious overlords. The plot centres around a mysterious group changing the balance of power and the British agent sent to protect the interests of the crown. This young lady does not have an easy time of it, and by the time we get to the climax of the story she is not exactly in the box seats.

I found this to be a fresh and original story. It took hardly any time or effort to read, and left me wanting to read more by the author.
Now where did I put the Bookman #2?

An Occupation of Angels