on 4 September 2011
This is an absolute delight to read. My main concern when bying books on Kindle is that you never know what you are going to get when it comes to new authors. To be honest I've read some shockers and they are really the biggest drawback to the e-publishing phenomena. For every great book out there, there are a further 5 books that should never have seen the light of day.

Not so with this offering from Karly Kirkpatrick. The plot, whilst straightforward, is very well developed and the pace never relents. Characterisation is excellent and dialogue is believeable. I strongly recommend this book and I for one can't wait until the sequel!!
on 22 September 2014
Well worth reading. I must admit by picking up some of Amazon free books, I have come across some great authors and some interesting books. This will make me more inclined to buy the rest of this series. Loved this well written and interesting first book.
on 6 September 2013
This was a new, exciting and believable storyline, with strong characters and really well written. No spoilers, but I really recommend especially if you like dystopia or paranormal. Off to get number 2 now :)
on 17 February 2013
From the start to finish of the book, the reader is really able to relate to Paivi Anderson's feelings. I really enjoyed following Paivi on her journey and will continue in the next ones! However, due to the extensive descriptions and some unnecessary speeches, the book took longer than I would have liked to get to the point. Nevertheless, a really good read recommended for basically anyone :)
on 6 February 2013
This is the first book in the Shadows Trilogy, and I would recommend that you read them in order. Each book leaves you wanting more and alsways finishes on a cliff hanger, but the next book starts exactly when the previous one finished off. The characters are well thought out and grow with each book. I hope that she goes on to write more books in this vane as I for one will definitely be looking out for them.
on 15 October 2013
The story is gripping and you don't want to stop reading. People can be so easily led and government so powerful to the detriment of all. I think it's already happening, but very much slower.
Very powerful and moving story, well written and very much enjoyed.
on 19 October 2011
I immediately feel a tiny pang of regret for only giving this 3 stars but I'm being strict. This isn't in comparison to self published books and it gains no extra stars for being one. This is a solid enough book that it should stand up against professionally published novels.

I should also point out that it would most likely have been pushed up to a fourth star had I been the intended audience. This is a young adult book after all and people still in school would probably find more enjoyment out of the school settings.

I found the book a little slow to start with but once it gets going the story becomes an intense and rough ride for its main character. Day by day her rights are taken from her and the people who stand up for her are forced to suffer. Overnight the country becomes a place where it's dangerous to be someone like Paivi, someone with powers.

It was certainly an intriguing read as things get worse and worse for poor Paivi and it's interesting to see how her and other characters cope with the pressure. Fans of romance will be cheering for the Paivi and Jason pairing and be sad as things never quite go their way.

Being part 1 of a trilogy, the book finishes on a bit of a cliff hanger and will most likely have you waiting patiently for part 2.

If the premise has you interested I definitely recommend giving this book a go.
on 16 January 2014
After the first chapter I was hooked and now I have finished it (2am- 1 day) I can't wait to read the second.
on 22 January 2013
I read the trilogy in a short space of time, the story flowed well and this book is a real page turner.
on 20 December 2012
This book is really great and an amazing page turner. Now I have to buy the next one!! Love it!