This is a great looking radio that oozes quality with the modern wood and metal finish. It has a reassuring weight to it (especially when loaded with 4 D-cell batteries!) and is a good size for sitting on the kitchen worktop or on a shelf in the lounge. A lovely item to look at.

Published on 10 April 2011 by BB

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price
I originally bought this radio more as a matching accessory for our new kitchen since my husband wanted one there and wasn't too worried about the quality! It has bettered our expectations in most ways.
Published on 9 Oct. 2011 by Joan Edington

4.0 out of 5 stars A stylish and well built DAB radio that is simple and easy to use, 10 April 2011
This review is from: Roberts Expression DAB/FM RDS Portable Radio with Built in Battery Charger (Electronics)

The built in battery charger is a real plus as it allows the radio to be easily picked up and moved around the house without any interruption to your programs and without any need to ever change the batteries provided you plug it in again to charge when you are finished. It is fitted with a very clear and easy to read green backlit screen displaying two lines of text. The station name is always displayed on the top line and the second line can show extra information such as radio text, genre, signal strength, broadcast quality, time/date etc. If the text is too long it scrolls across the screen one character at a time meaning it is not the smoothest to look at but perfectly readable.

The radio is very easy to operate with a dedicated volume dial and another dial to choose the station (push to select). A selection of the stations you listen to regularly can be added to the preset list making finding them much faster and one station can be assigned to the dedicated favourite button meaning it can be selected quickly with only one button press.

DAB reception is good and combined with the extendible and directional aerial I have no problems getting a signal in any part of my house. FM radio with RDS is provided as a backup and works equally as well.

Sound quality is very good especially for music and listening in quiet environments. The solid, heavy construction really helps here with no vibrations or distortion that you can find with thin plastic radios. When listening to music the two stereo speakers sound full and balanced with a clear and warm reproduction. Speech is easily understood in a quiet environment but when there is background noise (kitchen etc) I find I have to really turn it up and the sound can become a little muddy and loose some clarity. There are no bass or treble controls provided meaning the sound cannot be tweaked in any way. It is certainly adequate and indeed very pleasurable for listening to speech but especially in noisy environments I find myself wanting more treble to give the speech a bit more punch and penetration through background noise.

The lack of basic audio controls would be the main drawback of this radio but for the majority of listening situations and certainly in quiet environments it provides a very good sound for both music and speech from whisper quiet right up to any sensible volume you could want. The sound is warm and laid back with a good amount of detail making listening a real pleasure. The AUX-In socket allows any mp3 player or other audio source to be played through the radio's two speakers and the sound is equally as good in this mode.

This is a very sturdy and well built item, that looks great and is easy and simple to use, with sound quality that makes listening a pleasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Robertsons Expression DAB Radio, 21 April 2011
Lovely versatile radio, sounds good too. I bought it for use in my kitchen and my caravan, the internal battery charger and mp3 connection saves me having to take all the extra bits with me. It looks modern and at the same time classic, is robust and very easy to use. I would recommend to anyone as a versatile and good looking radio.

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable piece of engineering., 14 Feb. 2012
D. Singh-Hulass "Derek22464" (Brighton) - See all my reviews
I bought this radio from Amazon on the 5th of December 2011 and also ordered some rechargeable batteries at the same time. The radio arrived first so I decided to just get some cheapie D batteries to tide me over until the rechargeables were delivered.

I duly got a pack of 4 Daewoo "Super Heavy Duty" batteries from Poundland (bargain!) and fitted them. For what it is the radio sounds fantastic - Roberts' sound engineers have got the balance between bass, treble and midrange just right to my ears with decent bass, clear vocals and a fairly detailed top.

A great many DAB stations really don't sound that good, despite what we've been told, and heavily compressed pop music can sound awful - harsh, shrill and fatiguing long term. The Roberts makes everything sound warm, smooth and inviting and reasonably propulsive.

It's not Hi-Fi, but then it's not meant to be, and I've been happy to listen to it every day for at least 30 minutes in the bath (where it goes surprisingly loud) and have bought quite a few CD's off the back of hearing tracks on the radio.

It is also very well designed with great attention to detail - from the battery compartment, to the dials, to the aerial, even to the little rubber feet on the underside to stop it slipping around. It has all the functions that anyone would reasonably use and none of the flashy ones that hardly anyone does. The fit and finish is also exemplary.

And now the £1 "Super Heavy Duty" batteries have finally died after over two months' use, which is an incredible performance considering my previous DAB radio went through 4 expensive Duracells in just one week! And that was just on standby, I never even played it!

If you're looking for a truly portable device that can run astonishingly efficiently from batteries, looks lovely, sounds really good and is well designed and made, then look no further. Roberts are really onto a winner here and this is easily a five star product considering its wealth of abilities.

Derek

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Expression, 21 Dec. 2011
This radio is well worth the extra with excellent sound. I purchased this one for my uncle who is 95 and he can operate it with ease especially with the favourite button. I don't think the advert stated that you require 4 batteries for it though.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good for the Price, 9 Oct. 2011
Joan Edington (Scottish Borders) - See all my reviews
It has the advantage of receiving both DAB and FM reception, as well as audio input which lets me play music from my mp3 player through it. I would have preferred to be able to play this music via the player's exisitng USB cable, rather than having to buy an audio cable specially for this.
I found the setting of favourite stations for both DAB and FM very easy. I also like the different content options for the neat display screen. I only see what I want rather than the array of often irrelevant information that is displayed by some radios with larger screens.
The sound quality is fine for my husband, who has pretty good hearing. However, it is not so good for me since I am hard of hearing and have a loss of higher frequency sounds. It would have been nice to be able to adjust bass/treble balance.
All in all though, we have taken to this radio both to listen to and to look at on our new beech worktops!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roberts Expression DAB/FM Radio., 29 Jun. 2012
This is the second one of these that I have purchased. I purchased the first for myself
and was so impressed with the sound and build quality compared to other radios on the market in this price range that I got another for my parents. They are equally impressed and have now gotten rid of their old DAB's.
Its very nice having it portable with the extra long battery life.This radio is used daily but is only plugged in about once a week or less to recharge.
Only criticism is that it does not come with D cell rechargeable battery's....Expect to pay around £10 - £15 for good Battery's if you want it to be portable.
After purchasing the first Roberts DAB from another store I purchased the second from amazon.co.uk as it was the cheapest at the time with very fast service. A*

5.0 out of 5 stars Vintage or Expression, 7 Sept. 2013
This Radio was bought at the same time as a Roberts Vintage and although this one was cheaper and larger and heavier it was the better radio and better choice for my aging mother
This Radio is solid it has a great sound and can be very loud without distortion
Also the On/Off button is the coloured (green) one which saves confusion for those of us who like things simple
(On the Vintage radio it is the favourite button that is a different colour)
When changing channels on this model you rotate the dial till the one you want appears then press the tuning button down with a satisfying click the channel shifts to your selection
On the Vintage model as you turn the dial and stations are displayed the radio automatically tunes to the one displayed after a few seconds
Now obviously some people prefer one way and some the other, But for older people it is sometimes best if the radio doesn't re-tune itself to other stations that you just happen to have paused on
Of the two I would say this radio edges it but you do need to buy "D" size cells to put in it and they ar not cheap
The radio comes with a charger foe use with rechargeable batteries and you must flip a little switch in the battery compartment to use them
This radio is a great value for money solidly made stylish sounds great and I would recommend it

5.0 out of 5 stars A fine buy, 20 Nov. 2011
D. Carter "humbugmike" (Far north Scotland) - See all my reviews
It's my first DAB radio, so I can't compare it with any others - all I can say is that the quality is as you'd expect from Roberts, it's easy to tune and set up and gets a remarkably good signal indoors in the northern highlands of Scotland! I haven't tried it on battery yet so I can't comment on the performance of the battery life etc. Well worth the money

5.0 out of 5 stars I loved the tone of that radio and have never found ..., 6 July 2014
I did a lot of research before buying a DAB radio. I had a Richards back in the day when they had a wooden case and a turntable on the base. I loved the tone of that radio and have never found another that compared. This one does not disappoint. It has that same crystal clear, rounded tone and what a looker! This is an object just to be admired for its design. It gives pleasure just to look at. You can't get better than excellent design and superior function.

2.0 out of 5 stars Be careful how you handle the aerial, 4 Sept. 2014
Nice looking radio, easy to use, sound quality is fine. Reception not the best but with some fiddling we got a fair selection, we live in a strong signal area.

However, about a month out of warranty we stopped getting any signal at all. I traced it to a broken internal aerial connection - if you turn the aerial while it is extended, you WILL break the screw that holds the aerial in place, and the connection that goes with it. You may get a reduced/intermittent signal if the connection does happen to maintain contact - I think we had been suffering this for some time.

So - decent enough radio let down by a design flaw, do not turn the aerial when fully extended and you should be OK.

It's not at all obvious how to get inside - for anyone else, remove the rear grille first - and don't be fooled, underneath the veneer its just another plastic radio.