5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling Through Song
Published on 17 Oct. 2010 by Jeanie

3.0 out of 5 stars BETHS BACK!
Published on 11 Oct. 2010 by mr. trevor dodd

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Storytelling Through Song, 17 Oct. 2010
Jeanie (United States) - See all my reviews
Beth Hart is a brilliant talent and has the ability to write very personal material about her life and struggles. As a recovering addict/alcoholic and as someone who suffers from bipolar disorder, she has put it all in her songs and still manages to leave a positive and uplifting impact. I heard her explain in an interview that her producer wanted her to make an album that is based on storytelling. Beth has done that very well. This album is not as rocking as her previous works, yet the content of the writing is strong. Her song Sister Heroine about her sister who died of addiction is one of her best songs to date. The song in which she thanks her parents for what they have done for her (Weight of the World) is also among her best. Other tracks that stand out are Love is the Hardest, Like You and Everybody is Sober. The core of the album is openness, honesty and sharing things that will help others know they are not alone. Someone did go a little crazy with the "studio magic" on this album. I say next time save the money. 24 karat gold does not need a veneer. If you listen to Live at Paradiso or watch the Live at Paradiso dvd you will know what I mean. We do get a reprieve from studio magic on the bonus track thankfully. Regardless I still give the album five stars because of the songwriting and performance. This is a "different" album but another impressive addition to Beth Hart's entire body of work. This woman is a must to see in concert. p.s. the photography and design of the cd is very well done.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bert Hart stops to think..., 25 Nov. 2010
This review is from: My California (MP3 Download)
... Or so it seems, was my first reaction when I first heard her latest release. This album is more wound-down compared to previous ones, especially the "Live at Paradiso" set. At the time that one just blew me away because of the "in-your-face" rock 'n roll attitude and the sheer energy of that Beth Hart post-rehab live performance. Nevertheless things did not just go uphill for her afterwards and reportedly she suffered a big emotional setback from denying a bipolar disorder diagnosis. I cannot really identify with it is like to be in that situation, but if "Hello California" is the result of those emotions, it was well worth it. This is again a very personal album, but this time she takes the time for mostly quiter intimate songs. In times when you are bombarded with all sorts of pre-cooked instant-success formulas on the X factor and the like, it is such a relief to find that there are still people out there to come up with something far more essential. I love this album !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars music for soul development, 7 July 2011
Beth has come through some significant challenges that would have finished many others - but through it brings an honesty and integrity to her music and storytelling. It continues to astound me that someone with her vocal talent (but more than that, her ability to weave musicality with lyrical honesty) is not more commercially successful.

This album is much more mellow (and perhaps less cynical) than her others - it is reflective and thoughtful - drawing you in with the melody, yet calling to the experiences that human beings share.

if you havent listened to Beth before - this is a great way to get to know her music. but make sure you also listen to beth the rocker in her other albums to see the whole artist

5.0 out of 5 stars This is GOOD!, 2 Nov. 2010
WackyWeasel (Essex/Suffolk uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: My California (MP3 Download)
Beth Hart was another artist new to me ... I know, where have I been? Since buying it I've played it so much, it's just such a good album 'Sister Heroine' has to be my favourite track - the lyrics are so poignant and moving. I can't recommend the album highly enough, very, very good!

3.0 out of 5 stars BETHS BACK!, 11 Oct. 2010
mr. trevor dodd (liverpool, merseyside England) - See all my reviews
Beth is back, a little too laid back in parts on this new cd, but never predictable. Beth always sings from the heart and her lyrics are as always thought provoking! Title track of the cd "MY CALIFORNIA" is a little more experimental than previous outings, and the cd as a whole is a tad restrained in the guitar department compared to previous efforts. I hope Beth has not been persuaded to tone down the angst in search of the elusive hit single.... This said the quality of songs are never in doubt and this lady deserves a much higher profile. Buy any one of her cds especially "LEAVE A LIGHT ON" and you wont be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Voice............... My California, 11 Mar. 2011
If you liked Rebbecca Fergusons voice on the UK X factor then you are going to love this little lady. What a class act. The album is full of catch rock chick type vocals that are pure nectar to the ears. I was introduced to Beth whilst on a visit to the USA. The Album i first heard was Leave the light on. I have to say that this album My California takes Beth to a all new level. I liked the album so much that i went out and bought her back catalog. You wont be disappointed. Turn up the volume sit back and listen to the smooth effortless lyrics of Beth Hart. Beth get over to the UK so we can see you live. Tracks with velvet lyrics..... Weight of the World and Sister Heroine. If you like the Dutch Goddess of Rock Anouk you will love Beth Hart. Worth Every Penny of my hard earned cash!

3.0 out of 5 stars OK at best, 13 Jan. 2013
Love Beth Hart, saw her live in London a few years back and was blown away by her passionate vocal ability. Compared to her other stuff this is a bit hit and miss, still though her vocals have the ability to make your spine tingle and hairs stand on end.

Love to hear her doing something a bit more melodic and chorus driven...it could catapult her to mega-stardom!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beth Hart California, 8 July 2012
This review is from: My California (Audio CD)
After listening to Beth on the Don't explain album with my favourite guitar player/song writer Joe Bonamassa I decided to buy this album.I was not dissapointed she has great voice and you have to be good to compliment anything that Joe does.She sings from the Hart.I look forward to buying another album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!, 8 July 2012
This review is from: My California (Audio CD)
I love this album, there is not one song on this that I don't like. I discovered Beth through Joe Bonamassa DVD and loved her voice straight away. Bought Don't Explain and loved that, so have now bought up all her other CD's. I would say that this album has a bit more of a mellow sound to it than some of the others, not that it made any difference to me. Beth's voice and talent is amazing and I can't believe she not a mega star!!

5.0 out of 5 stars What else can I say!, 8 April 2012
This review is from: My California (Audio CD)
Beth Hart brings her panache for soul searching and soul gripping songwriting into this more singer/songwriter style compilation. This is NOT Beth Hart lite as some have referred to it. Taking away the ripping guitar solos and the like and you still have this amazing visceral talent of spirit, mind and flesh! ENJOY another Delicious Surprise!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

My California
My California by Beth Hart (Audio CD - 2011)