5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS O! PLAY HDP-R1 HD
Published on 17 Jan 2012 by BWAFER

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with blu ray
When I'm trying to playback blu ray disc from folder, screens freezes time by time. The key is bitrate (it fails if bitrate is larger than n). I
Published 4 months ago by Haralds Ulmanis

5.0 out of 5 stars ASUS O! PLAY HDP-R1 HD, 17 Jan 2012
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
I use this player to stream movies and music from a networked DLINK BDT310 mini server. Together they make a perfect solution. This unit handles all types of media that I have shown it and has no problem streaming High Def video. I have found that the set up was very simple. Virtually plug in to the TV via the HDMI lead, pop in the ethernet lead and it finds the network automatically. Navigation of the menus was very straight forward and easy to understand. The only time I had a need to refer to the hand book was to set up the 5.1 surround sound which I use through a optical lead to my surround amp. When the sound is set up correctly DTS and Dolby Digital sound is excellent.
The quality of the output is excellent. Both video and sound are crisp and clear on my Panasonic HD LCD 37" screen. I have experienced no buffer issues or any noticeable lag problems. Go-on... treat yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Cost Effective way to play any video file from a NAS, 5 April 2013
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
I have an Apple TV, but it has no ability to play WMV, MKV etc.

This little beauty ( function, not form ) does the job.

If you have a vast library of archived BlueRays and DVDs sitting on a server then this is a great way to play them to your television.

Surround sound works well, just like the original disc.

3.0 out of 5 stars Problems with blu ray, 28 Mar 2014

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
Has played everything I have thrown at it. Would be a bit difficult for a non-tecky person to setup tho.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok, but there is probably better, 4 Mar 2012
D. Innes - See all my reviews
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
The menu on the device is pretty straight forward but I found it to be really quite slow in loading any of the sections.

I was disappointed with the internet TV, I had thought my 20mb broadband connection to be fine, but which I found to be really clunky. So if you have faster broadband you may well be ok.

Having a USB plugged in Hard drive also did not get the kind of results I expected.

I am now replacing this with a media center with incorporated Hard Drive, as this doesn't really do what I was hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Plays anything, 10 Feb 2012
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
I had been using a "Sumvision Micro" media player for some years and that coped well with AVIs. I have found recently though that AVI Torrents are becoming increasingly harder to find as HD videos are becoming more common and broadband speeds have increased. I bought this and haven't looked back. I can download any torrent regardless of format and every thing so far has played flawlessly. MP4s, MKVs, even some weird formats I've never heard of. As a bonus it looks good under the telly and has a clear, easy to use display. The remote is good quality and a good size for easy, reliable use. Note: Just be aware that this IS NOT a hard drive device. It looks a bit like one and at the price you might think it would have a small HDD. You have to load your videos onto a USB device to play them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality and Great Value Media Streamer, 3 Jan 2013
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
For around 65 I believe that the Asus OPlay HDP-R1 is great value. Mine came with Firmware 1.41 and also a HDMI cable in the box.

The unit was plug and play and everything worked without any problems. I needed to tweak some of the picture settings in the OPlay such as brightness, contrast and hue. Once this was done the picture was excellent. I have used the Phono outputs on the OPlay to connect to my Hi-Fi and the sound is also excellent, and both video through the HDMI and sound through the Phono work simultaneously, giving a good Home Theatre 2.1 solution.

Some points to note are:
The OPlay interface looks nice, but the navigation through it is very basic. I don't mind but it may annoy
some people! However the OPlay can be flashed with some unofficial firmware to rectify this (although I have
not looked into this)

I connected my phone via USB to the OPlay and it recognised Video and Flac files from my phone. It played
these fine.

When playing various video files the OPlay figures out the right display settings when playing through my
projector. I don't have to set anything. Whereas when connecting from my laptop directly to my projector
I was constantly fiddling about with aspect ratios and resolutions on my projector.

When connecting to a Windows 7 PC via the network connection I did the following:
A Windows directory should be shared (I assigned a directory with Read Permissions to 'Everyone' and no
password was set)
Network Sharing Centre in Windows 7 has a property which needs to be set to not prompt for a password

I originally wanted to assemble a HTPC at a cost of about 200 or more. The OPlay is good quality and does the same job at a significantly cheaper price.

------------ Update 1 Feb 2013 -----------
I have noticed that very occasionally in my home cinema setup, the picture can freeze for up to 2 seconds and then continue. I do not know whether this is due to the OPlay or my ethernet speed. This occurs when there is 'heavy processing' within a scene. As an example this happens once only in the film Prometheus where the dream sequence is playing.

------------ Update 31 July 2013 -----------
The freezing is eliminated by streaming via the faster NFS network protocol (as opposed to Samba protocol). The only very minor fault that I can find is that when playing blu-ray ISO files sometimes the playback suffers from stuttering. Whilst looking at the current competition for the OPlay I cannot find a better product at a similar price level or even double the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 21 April 2012
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
This product arrived to me 4 days before the estimated arrival date. Also it came with an ever newer firmware from that you could find in Asus webpage. Great buy folks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Works well to a point, 19 Mar 2013
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
Depending on what you intend this works either very well or not at all. It plays movies and music very well from attached HDD. It is also easy to network with other computers in the home, however the internet links are a waste of time, with no access to useful sites such as i-player of any description. I purchased this to play movies and as such I am satisfied, although it does have an operating quirk, that is MP3 and MP4 files are only output through the HDMI connection, there is no soundtrack output through the TOSLINK connection. Would I buy it again, I doubt it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 21 May 2012
This review is from: Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player (Electronics)
My first impression of this wasn't the best - tried playing back some WMV files without success. Then tried some mp4 files, which played but it wouldn't stop and then restart at the same place. It did however play some mkv files which were straight rips from DVDs (no transcoding) and also played DVDs ripped as complete iso images.

It turned out that the problem with playing back the mp4 files was due to the NAS I was streaming them from (a synology ds210j). An upgrade of the NAS firmware fixed this.

I've only tried the the playback using SD material but it looked good to me.

The menu system is a little bit clunky but perfectly useable, although the graphics look like something from the 90's.

As mentioned in other reviews, the remote is nice to hold - if you like holding useless plastic boxes. The sensitivity of the remote is exceptionally annoying. Factor in buying a 3rd party replacement if you are going to be using this box frequently.

Asus O!Play HDP-R1 HD Media Player