4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hardware. Dodgy Software.
Published on 27 May 2011 by Kilkis

3.0 out of 5 stars good drive shame about the software
I wanted a drive with a capacity to backup my PC.The drive can do that easily.It's an extremely quiet drive ,it looks robust and well built and it comes from a trustworthy manufacturer.
Published on 6 April 2012 by tu nombre es

3.0 out of 5 stars good drive shame about the software, 6 April 2012
This review is from: WD My Book 2TB External Desktop Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0) (Electronics)
That's where my praise ends.I also purchased this particular drive because the manufacturers "blurb" gave the impression that backup was so easy that left to it's own devices the drive would continually backup as and when it was necessary I was wrong and from the feedback on the WD website and other forums most purchasers feel the same way.
The problem is the WD SMARTWARE software that the drive uses it is absolutely rubbish ..the main problem being the resources that the software hogs (and my machine is only 3 months old !)
it uses CPU sometimes up to 100% of it and therefore I cannot use the PC for anything else.Even with the drive switched off the software runs sorting files which can take hours and I kid you not.WD are well aware of the rubbish software and a recent release was supposed to address the problem but if you look on their own forum you will find it hasn't.
I actually feel that I've been duped and would not recommend this drive to anyone until WD sort the software problem.Surely with all the knowledge they have it can be done ? Failing that
sell the drive with specialist software brought in.

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't mount after restart, 30 Jun 2011
The drive seemed fine, and good value for money, and I'd been happy with mybook external drives previously. Unfortunately I've found that each time I restart my computer (Mac Pro running OS X Snow Leopard) the drive doesn't mount. Unplugging it and plugging it in again solved the problem, but I didn't want to have to do this every time. I read about other people having the same problem in the Western Digital forum, and support staff weren't able to solve it. Therefore I'm returning this and I'll be trying an alternative.

1.0 out of 5 stars The second one just died, 1 Sep 2012
I bought this to back up using Time Machine. The first one died after about four or five months, leaving me unable to recover the data. I was still under warrantee so got a replacement. The second one has also died after three months - or at least frozen and I am apparently unable to repair or reformat it. I don't normally bother reviewing items, but am so annoyed with this that I hereby issue my warning.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died - unrecoverable, 20 Feb 2012
R. Billington - See all my reviews
These seem to die with a worrying frequency, it's worth doing a search for "WD Essential recovery" and seeing how many actually go pop.

The double whammy problem though is this: the drive encrypts the data in hardware, so you can't pull the drive out and image it to recover your files. I don't see WD are willing to reveal the encryption codes anytime soon.

I'm going to configure something more robust. Nothing wrong with WD drives, but their MyBook hardware is suspect...

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Hardware. Dodgy Software., 27 May 2011
I am using this on a newly built PC with USB 3 interface. It was easy to set up and is very fast BUT so far I have only managed to use it with Windows backup software. The hard drive on my PC is split into two partitions which are configured with the Windows system and all other programs on C:// and all user documents on F://. WDSmartware analyses the C:// drive correctly and finds a few files of the type it can backup. When I select the F:// drive, however, it claims that all 21 GB consists of "System Files". It does not analyse them and so does not back them up. So far I haven't found a way round this. If WDSmartware worked I would have given it 5 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars External Harddrive Problems, 11 Jan 2012
One Major problem with the device is that it will stop working intermittently via usb3 after half an hour it will stop being recognised by the computer on multiple computers infact. Therefore its a NO go if you want to use the USB3 . Worked fine via usb2 just really slow took 18hrs to transfer 500gb, i know its not my computer as it has an i7 cpu and ssd

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor Equipment, 6 Sep 2011
Arrived today in good time -- HOWEVER ---
1. Will not work in a usb 3 port on computer start up.
2. Sometimes works when connected to a usb 2 port
3. Rear On/Off switch does not function
4. Computer will not start up when device is connected and switched on
5. Does not show up under 'My Computer'
6. Returned

1.0 out of 5 stars Died within 1 month - Lost all my data, 15 Feb 2012
Spent around 3 weeks putting my data on to this drive when it died.
Can't be repaired.
Lost all my data.
I've bought a total of 3 Western Digital external hard drives and 2 have failed on me.
I will buy another brand in future.

1.0 out of 5 stars Died within 2 days of use., 22 Jan 2012
Bought this drive to replace two separate single terabyte drives, the first day I copied everything over, and the second I got the click of death.

Can't access or initialize the drive due to I/O errors. Tried various recovery tricks to access it, but to no avail.

Luckily, all my data still existed on the single terabyte drives, so I haven't lost data. But the drive's totally useless, so I have to try and claim an exchange on warranty.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor reliability, 20 Aug 2011
I have had several My Book products in the past and not found them too reliable, but when this new USB 3.0 unit came along I thought I would give it a try as it had been some time since the last purchase.

Unfortunately this one is suspect also, with it only working correctly for a couple of weeks on a new HP Workstation with USB 3.0. At first it started to loose files and folders, yet didn't report any errors. It would show that 1.36TB of space had been used, which was correct for the files, but then on checking the folders they were all empty.

After another day the unit just failed altogether and now just "flashes" the unit's front LED and Windows can't recognize or initialise it now. As with previous versions this WD My Book needs to go back.

I'll stay away from this series from now on.