5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Coffee Maker
After breaking my old Chemex paper filter maker I decided to check out this one due to the cheap pricing. It comes with step-by-step instructions making it easy to figure out. This method is much quicker than my old paper filter and the coffee is hotter and generally better; as the material filter removes less from the coffee.

The only negatives are the need...
Published on 16 Jun 2011 by Vasily

3.0 out of 5 stars mini coffee
For making good tasting coffee a sound machine but just could be a little bigger, most people use mugs or large cups to drink from today.
Published 15 months ago by Devon boy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Coffee Maker, 16 Jun 2011
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker

The only negatives are the need for methylated spirits to fuel the burner and slightly fiddly cleaning. This is not too bad as spirits are fairly cheap and I no longer need to buy paper filters.

There's more cleaning than in a filter paper coffee maker, but the coffee from this coffee maker is certainly worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Coffee maker!, 7 Jan 2012
M. R. Field (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
This is a fantastic coffee maker! Its very easy to use and makes delicious coffee without getting any coffee grounds into the flask or your coffee cup. Its so clever the way it makes the coffee - much more interesting than making it in a cafetiere or percolator. I didn't get it quite right on my first attempt as I put in a little too much coffee and also kept, what I thought, was the lid on the top flask as it made the coffee. (The lid is in fact the stand for putting the top flask into after you have made the coffee and its ready to pour out.)This made the coffee quite strong as it slowed the process up (but I don't mind strong coffee so it was ok but the first taste hit hard! LOL) I filled the flask up to the maximum 8 cups and this served two decent sized mugs with a little coffee left over.

Cleaning was quite easy and just requires good rinsing through afterwards to get all the detergent out. The coffee grounds will go into the composting bin or directly onto the honeysuckle plants! They love coffee grounds!

I'm very happy that Father Christmas brought me a lovely present :D

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic value, 24 Jun 2013
P. H. Jones (Wales) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
I bought one of these for myself Christmas 2012 and have used it every day since then. Tried both the cloth and paper filters, latter avoid problem of keeping cloth in good condition but either method brings out the full flavour of gourmet coffee. Either is better at blocking grounds than the glass rod in a Cona machine. I replaced the spirit burner with a small butane burner -- much more control over the process, and bought a Hario hand grinder to complement the machine -- it's worth experimenting with the grind, and best to keep to low to mid-roast beans..
In response to earlier reviews, yes, there will always be a little water left in the base. This means that if you make a small amount of coffee you need to add proportionately more coffee to keep the strength up.
I don't understand the remarks about 'boiled' flavour -- coffee in the upper part doesn't boil, the apparent boiling is steam passing through the coffee. Users may find it helpful to experiment with the length of time between (virtually) all the water passing into the upper part and removing the heat source.
A great machine at a great price.

5.0 out of 5 stars makes great coffee!!, 13 Feb 2013
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
being a bit coffee geek i was very surprised to hear about this method of coffee preparation having passed me by, but i must say it makes exceptional coffee, it'll even make good coffee with cheap grounds/beans. it's a little bit fiddly to begin with but after having used it a few times it's actually very easy to use, and the product arrived well packaged and very quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome buy!, 18 Dec 2012
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
Wonderful value: every bit as good as the ridiculously expensive hario product. A showpiece that makes great coffee, though not my first choice of preparation method: It is a hassle too clean after use, and the coffee does get a slightly "boiled" feeling. I don't care: I look like a crazed scientist (super cool!) when producing coffee, and that's all that matters with a syphon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a perfect cup of coffee, 6 Feb 2013
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
I'm very pleased with the coffee this makes. There are no grounds to muddy it and the full flavour bursts through. It's almost as quick as an electric maker as long as you put boiling water into the vessel before you light the meths burner. I've also tried it with chafing gel and although it's not as good (you probably need to bring the chafer nearer to the glass vessel to improve the heat transfer) it will make a good cup of coffee. As other reviewers have said - the 5 cup description is for 5 espresso sized cups. This equates to 2 mugs - so if you are planning to make coffee for lots of people, this size isn't the best option.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a cool little machine, 30 Jan 2012
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
I bought this for my sister for Christmas and she loves it. Not into real coffee myself but she put it together to show me how it made the perfect coffee for her and Dad. It's like a little junior scientist machine with a little heater underneath and the water all bubbles up to the top bit, then you put out the flame and slowly the water, now fresh coffee, goes back into the bottom bit and voila! you have your coffee ready to pour, nice and hot too. Not for me, too fiddly but she loves it and is more than happy with it - oh and then you put the coffee grounds onto your honeysuckle, they love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Novelty Coffee Maker, 15 Jun 2011
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
When I first saw this item I was attracted by its uniqueness & thought 'what a gadget for when my grandsons visit'. It arrived at my door within 24 hours of ordering. Well packed with full, easy to understand, instructions. I had to order the Meths from my local chemist but it was worth the wait. The 'after sales' service was professional & courteous by both Andy & John. Full marks.
Oh! by the way - it makes superb coffee. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 26 Jan 2014
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
Simple and easy to use, Easy to keep clean, and best of all makes coffee taste the way coffee should taste.

My only criticism is that you only get 1 filter supplied, (I know spares are available) but an spare filter in the box would have got it the extra star.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good coffee, 6 Nov 2013
This review is from: Coffee Master 5-Cup Syphon / Vacuum Glass Coffee Maker
The coffee from this thing is amazing. Best home brew I have ever had. The price is also very reasonable when compared to the Japanese model. However, I cannot give it a full five stars due to a slight, but important manufacturing flaw. The grip for the bottom reservoir is not perfectly horizontal. When everything is put together it tilts to one side. Mostly this is cosmetic (it looks quite bad when tilting), but sometimes, if the top is not put in securely, the weight of the coffee on top will tilt the top more breaking the vacuum. There is no way to "bend" this into place as it is the hole drilled into the metal arm that is off center. Besides that it is great, with a great price, and excellent coffee.