Size: 1 Pack|Change

on 6 September 2014
I bought my first Auraglow bulb some years ago to project a colour-changing 'mood light' onto an expanse of white wall. It works brilliantly and compares well with a Phillips product which cost £99 at the time. Everyone who sees this light wants one.

Prices of these bulbs have since come down a lot, and I now have four as downlighters. They transform a room into something akin to an ultra-trendy nightclub. Get each on 'flash' mode and the kids can have a little disco.

A point to note is that these bulbs are slightly longer than a standard GU10, therefore might not fit snugly into a downlighter recess, depending on how well this has been fitted. I've had to play around with a few in order to get the bulb to sit properly.

Each bulb is supplied with an individual controller, but just one controller will operate all of the bulbs, leaving a couple as spares.
on 26 November 2015
The items arrived on time as expected. I was pleasantly surprised at how robust the bulbs were and appear well made.
I have them fitted in our outside front light fittings ,one each side of the front entrance door.
The bulbs were easy to fit. You get a remote control with each bulb, as one remote will work both lights, we keep the other as a spare.
The colours are not as bright as I was expecting , but still very nice and more than adequate for the impact and effect we were looking for.
We intend to use the colour changing facility during Christmas, they look great.
Most of the colours are effective and we are pleased with them. We tend to use the blue as our standard colour , which looks lovely and impresses the neighbours and cars passing the house.
The remote is surprisingly easy to understand and use.
review image review image review image
on 13 February 2013
I needed the bulb for hidden backlighting for a range cooker fitted into an alcove. The area to be lit is about 36" wide by 18" high, plus small side areas. This bulb is a spotlight, and has a focussing reflector. Look straight into it and it's dazzling - but its area of coverage is quite small. Pointing at the white paint behind the cooker, at a 45 degree angle, the close (16") distance resulted in a very bright patch of light about the size of a tablemat. But the colours weren't mixed. White was a mess of colour streaks and blobs, as were every other colour I tried, except for pure red, green and blue (the three light emitters in the bulb) which showed dull but solid. I guess that at greater distances, which most customers will want, the colours blur together to give the claimed shades, but for me this focus was a problem.

I experimented with various diffusers and eventually hit upon one that gave an acceptable result (ask me via Comments if you want to know more). Using this, I managed to achieve a pretty good colour wash over the whole area including sides, whilst still keeping an interesting bit-streaky, bit-brighter centre, which really lifted it. But the diffuser I used stole a lot of brightness from the bulb, and I felt the whole effect was just a touch dimmer than I wanted.

(Bear in mind when I mention brightness, that I'm using these bulbs in a lit room, with either low daylight or subtle room lighting. I guess that most people who give these a strong thumbs-up are using them in darkened rooms).

The B22 version of this bulb looks in the ad as if it would be smooth to start with, so I ordered one of these. I have to say it was pretty disappointing. I thought it would be optimised for smoothness plus brightness, but it seems as though its just the same three colour emitters diffused through the translucent dome, and had a very low overall brightness. You can happily look at it from two inches away without any risk of dazzle!

No way could it give a colour wash to the entire 36" x 18" area on is own. However, by swivelling the GU10 spotlight a little more leftish, then fitting this bulb AS WELL, towards the right, I've achieved a result which shows acceptably bright clear colours over the whole area, even in daytime.

For anyone planning to use multi bulbs in this way, you might find this interesting and useful: I used the remote to set both bulbs at the same instant to the Fade pattern. As I write this, an hour and a half later, they are still cycling through the colours in perfect synch. Even if eventually the synch slips, it might give an interesting effect, and if it doesn't a quick click will, of course, reset it to perfection!
on 11 December 2011
loved this light did what it says on the tin loved the remote control and the bright colours will order more for different rooms
on 8 November 2012
We recently had our home completely rewired and during this process we decided to have two spotlights fitted in the bay window area. The suggestion was that of our electrician and we are glad he made it.

We originally had two 50w halogen spotlights fitted here. at the time we had these fittings put in our sparky did say we could later change these bulbs for coloured ones. i then set to work, with Christmas approaching rapidly, to source these colour changing bulbs. Have looked at the various different types there are i decided to go with a brand i recognised, Auraglow.

Ordering from Amazon was as easy as always ad i was pleased the item arrived within 2 days. Opening the parcel a huge smile came over my face. I examined the bulbs and could see the quality of the item immediately. I had purchased two bulbs which both came with remote controls. Yes, remote controls! These are used to make it easy for you to set up your own light-show. i called the sparky and he was over a few days later.

Fitting the bulbs was very easy having only to remove the transformers that were originally on the halogen lights and popping everything back. The bulbs fitted the housing perfectly making he switch over very easy. They fitted the housings perfectly.

Now we are ready for Christmas with our own light show already.

I highly recommend these items both for fun or changing the mood of a room by fixing just one colour.
on 23 January 2016
These bulbs cannot product "pure white" light - and the seller shouldn't claim this.

They are red, green and blue LED lights with the offset of the LED's such that you get a colour split on any shiny surface (like a bath or shower cubicle). They are not particularly bright, so probably need another light source rather than being the sole lighting source in a room.

I asked the seller about this, and they said I could return them at my expense provided I hadn't used them. I'm not sure how that works exactly and I'd missed the 30 day Amazon return window. I wouldn't buy these again.
on 20 August 2010
These are pretty good... I wanted 6 of them for a home cinema installation and they are pretty bright and allow you to change the mood.

However, two or three problems which is why they don't get 5*.

1. Although a single remote can control all bulbs it is not powerful enough to control them all reliably. e.g. 2 or 3 change, then you have to press the button again to get the remaining blub to change. The range says 10 metres - it is much less than this or not powerful enough to actually control all the blubs. This is a minor irritant if you just want the standard colour to change, but it means you can't have the bulbs synced up if you want to use the fade and strobe options, rendering this feature useless.

2. If you have GU10 bulb holders which are secured from the front these may not be suitable as they do not fit this type of holder as the dimensions are slightly larger. Fortunately I could modify my holders.

3. The white light option produces strong colour casts so it's not really white.

Overall, good attempt, expensive for something which is clearly not perfect yet.
55 comments|44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2016
Im a fan of Auraglow in most of their products, but this one falls a little short in a few places...

1) The choice of colours is a bit limited, and the customisation could be far greater, e.g. a slower colour fade or having custom colours being programmed into the remote (there are a number on ebay which support this and is a great feature).
2) There is a distinct colour cast on the light, hence if you pick anything other than red, green or blue on their own, you get quite variable colours depending on the direction from the bulb. White is the most noticeable but all are pretty bad, you see a clear breakdown of the red, green and blue light parts.
3) They are a little off size. While they seem to be some of the smaller ones on the market, and it is fully listed in the product documentation, beware that they may stick out a bit and will probably wobble a bit.
4) I would love an RF controlled version of this product as it is so much more flexible and could be linked in with other systems such as Philips Hue at some point in the future, rather than a semi-obsolete and fairly unreliable infra-red control system.

Despite these complaints I do think they are ok overall, and assuming they meet the standard Auraglow performance over a longer term then I can live with it (the guarantee is a great bonus and one of the determining factors in my decision). The colour cast is the worst part of these bulbs making them very hard to enjoy.
on 23 December 2013
Does exactly what is described. Neat and good value for money. One word of warning though. The depth is bigger than the standard GU10 so if the fitting has an enclosed base the lamp will not fit properly.
on 21 September 2015
Have had these installed in kitchen/dining extension in the TV area. Lights are set in high ceiling and give enough light to comfortably see in. However in our large room we have dozens of additional spot lights so the fact that the lights are certainly not the brightest doesn't bother me. They function very well with all the light settings and they respond immediately to the control. My little one loves playing with the remote and selecting colours. Also works as a bit of fun for parties with the flashing lights setting.
review image review image review image