4.0 out of 5 stars Talk to the Hand
I found this book interesting but a little deep sometimes. Not that is bad but would have preferred something a little lighter. Lynne Truss does sometimes refer to examples of everyday occurrences which are very enlightening to give strength to the book. Overall the book didn't always grab my attention although I completely agree with the idea of it's content.
Published 14 months ago by Mrs. Ann Worthy

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny in places but really just a rant
Firstly, the comments about gluten and lactose intolerance have been removed from the paperback addition (see the reviews of the hardback edition); presumably replaced with the line about forcing all young people to do national service.

Published on 16 Jan 2010 by SP

3.0 out of 5 stars Funny in places but really just a rant, 16 Jan 2010

Having read "Eats, Shoots and Leaves" I thought this would be a good read, so I bought it, although it is clear this was written as a quick follow up and so is not really up to the same standard. "Talk to the Hand" is really just a long rant, which has been mentioned in numerous reviews about the hardback version. However, I enjoy a good rant so I did find this enjoyable to read in that sense. Truss set out 6 reasons to stay at home and lock the door, but I never felt she really came to any solid conclusions about them, and didn't tie it all up nicely at the end. It just trailed off, and in this respect the book is disappointing.

In summary, this book is good as a toilet read, but don't expect the usefulness and humour of "Eats, Shoots and Leaves".

3.0 out of 5 stars Enlightening..., 25 Mar 2008
LittleReader (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The bizarre thing about this little book, and all the anger on it's pages, is that it has had the completely opposite effect on me to what I imagined it would!
I can be an angry person with the rest of them, while also being prone to being irritated by the rudeness and inconsideration of others. I have also had the odd sway into feelings of road rage (Sorry - but that person that pulls out on you in a 60mph limit and proceeds to dawdle along at 25mph will ALWAYS have me reaching for my imaginery dashboard mounted machine gun. You know who you are.) And I too, am irked by other people chatting in the cinema and the very loud, somewhat uneccessary use of mobile phones.But I found myself, rather than shouting 'Yes, thats right - I feel just like that' aloud while reading LT's prose, I found myself instead thanking the good Lord that I'm not as irritated as she appears to be! How tiring!
So, actually, reading this book can be good for your health. It can make you realise how much worse off other people are. Or, in contrast, it can be bad for your health as you reach the conclusion that perhaps you are the irritating as opposed to the irritated...

3.0 out of 5 stars Odd, 14 Dec 2011
This review is from: Talk to the Hand (Kindle Edition)
This is a likeable book by a likeable person but it lacks authenticity. For the sake of sticking to her thesis, Truss goes woefully over the top and affects so much irritation with everything that you assume she either lives in state of hypertension or is exaggerating. It's the latter, you come to realise. It might have been better to come up with a more thoughtful thesis and approach the question: why have good manners become so downright unfashionable when most of us like them?

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as funny as eats, shoots etc., 12 April 2010
It was OK but unlike her bestseller "Eats, shoots and leaves" it could not hold my attention long enough to allow me to finish it. Too much pointless ranting. Perhaps I meet too many normal, nice people to get worked up over the berks.

1.0 out of 5 stars I used to admire Lynne Truss, 2 Jun 2014
This review is from: Talk to the Hand (Kindle Edition)
I used to admire Lynne Truss and loved her"Eats Shoots and Leaves", but despite editorial changes in the most recent editions of this book, I can never forgive her unconsidered and, frankly, cruel and stupid comment about gluten intolerance in this book. I could quite happily wish coeliac disease on her, as she herself says she would like. It is the most abysmally miserable condition, and can ruin lives. It is NOT a fad. Unforgiveable. I'll never buy another of her books.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor, 21 April 2014
How come I forgot the reviews and bought this? Even before starting to read I realised I had poor value for money. Print the size of a book for 10-year-olds, huge margins, and blank pages between chapters. This would have been only 100 pages if the publishers had not tried and failed to mask the fact that this book is very insubstantial.
In content too. Overstated, unfunny, hypocritical - she reveals herself to be guilty of some of the very things she criticises, like using the 'f' word, even accidentally in front of her mother sometimes - and despite the shortness of the book she goes on too long on her very obvious themes.
I now have a dilemma: do I put the book out straight for recycling, or do I give it to a charity shop to their gain but to some punter's loss? Caveat emptor perhaps, as I should have done!

3.0 out of 5 stars Trust Lynne to come back !, 22 Oct 2013
Clever--true--but a little too predictable I found. Nevertheless, it should be compulsory reading for all politicians and South of England shop assisstants.

4.0 out of 5 stars Talk to the Hand, 18 Oct 2013

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't quite have the punch I was expecting, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Talk to the Hand (Kindle Edition)
Although I say it didn't have the punch I was expecting, I found myself agreeing with a lot of what is covered in this book. I'm glad I read it, possibly because it made me feel I am not alone in expecting a little bit more from society. Manners put us in a league above other animals, but we seem to be falling back into 'dog eat dog' rather quickly. Does 'the circle of life' mean that we'll go back to living in caves one day too?

1.0 out of 5 stars An awful, unhelpful rant, 10 Oct 2010
Bought this because of the author's excellent "Eats, Shoots & Leaves". But this is obviously a quick follow-up moneyspinner, no more than an extended Daily Mail-style rant about the lack of modern manners. Almost no practical suggestions or guidelines whatsoever. And, like a previous reviewer, I started to feel more sympathy for the "Eff Off" generation than the author of this grumpy and sour diatribe.

Talk to the Hand