5.0 out of 5 stars This is an amazing light., 29 Aug 2012
K. Murphy (Surrey United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I have a Pashley Roadster and whilst i love and wanted to maintain the classic look of the bike the dynamo headlight supplied is all but useless. This light is fantastic, bright, wide beam which lights up the night. Having a capacitor means once you have ridden a few hundred yards it has stored up enough power to stay light for several minutes when you stop moving (not as bright but perfect a, crosswalks and such.)

Before buying I read several reviews saying that this light was overkill for city and urban riding. I disagree, finding it perfect for city, urban and trail (tow path) rides. And in black it looks pretty cool on my Pashley.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Cycle Headlamp I have ever used., 21 July 2013
This lamp, powered by a Shimano hub dynamo is simply the best headlamp I have ever used. Virtualy all of my 10 mile commute is during the hours of darkness, even in the summer months. An excellent beam is produced, lighting the pathway ahead but although bright and visible is focused so as not to dazzle oncoming traffic. Even at walking pace adequate light is generated to see and be seen by. After riding for a few minutes the "standlight" provides about 5 minutes light when standing at traffic signals. Coupled with the Philips rear light Philips SRRDLRBLX1 Powered Bicycle LightBicycle which also has the standlight technology, a brilliant battery free lighting system for night riding. Highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Light spoilt by feeble bracket, 14 April 2014
Have used this light for 18 months, firstly with my old Union dynamo and lately with my SP hub dynamo and can't fault the light. The bracket, however, has snapped showing classic metal fatigue symptoms..

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright white light good for being seen, 3 Feb 2014
P. Windridge - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
I've been using this light with a Nexus dyno hub for almost a month around East London. My main concern is being seen by motorists, and the white LED does a great job. It is also good for navigating canal towpaths away from street lights. The light is dimmed when stationary (at junctions) but is still bright enough to give confidence. It might be better if it flashed (with full brightness) when stationary.

The aluminium body construction is good. However I found the main weakness to be the switch. It is a rather small and can be fiddly when wearing thick gloves in the cold weather (ski gloves in my case!). I'd also like the option of mounting the light on the handlebars, closer to car driver eye level.

There is a spade connector for wiring in a rear light. So far I've been running it at 6v/3w directly from the dynamo (i.e. not connected in parallel with a rear light) and it hasn't fried yet. I hope it has a regulator built in [EDIT: Robbie Downes below comments it does have voltage regulator], but will probably wire in a rear light soon just to be on the safe side!

It replaced a Hella Halogen light (cost around £7) and was a massive improvement, especially at the discounted cost (I wouldn't have been quite so satisfied paying the £73 RRP though).

5.0 out of 5 stars A really nice light which is super value when found for < £40!!, 9 Nov 2014
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
Really happy with the light so far. Seems good quality - nice solid aluminium housing with a positive feeling rubber push switch.

I've done at least 4 pitch black commutes with it now on steep unlit roads (along with plenty of dusky evening riding) and I must say it performs pretty well getting its power from my Sturmey Archer X-FDD front dyno / drum brake hub.

It's not as bright as top end battery counterparts but the beam is in the right place (i.e. on the road - not in the sky) and its perfectly adequate for road riding (not sure there would be enough detail to take it off road).

I solved the rattly/snapping bracket issue (I read about on the forums) before it was even a problem by placing a couple of rubber tap washers between the bracket and the fork crown. So far so good and it keeps the light pointing straight (due to the increased friction from the rubber on the bracket).

There is a cut off in the beam pattern between near and far (see beam shots to know what I mean) but in reality this really isn't an issue because once you're travelling at any sort of speed (i.e. over about 10kmh) your line of sight should be well ahead of the break line in the beam pattern anyway.

Weather proofing seems good - plenty of rain / spray on a few rides so far and no issues.

The terminals for a rear light come out of the headlight - I'm just about to wire up the accompanying Phillips saferide rear light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great light - poor documentation, 22 Sep 2014
M. Arber - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
Very pleased with this product. Previous reviewers complained about the mount but I'm using it and it seems ok, time will tell. Able to switch my lights on and off easily whilst riding.
The documentation is very poor and I contacted Philips support and they gave me the wrong answer!
F.Y.I.:
The long pair of wires go to the dynamo. One conductor is marked (white line down black wire) but I could not measure any conductivity to the bracket so that does not matter (may matter to the rear light). There is a short pair of wires coming out of the unit which connect to the rear light. This short pair is after the switch so that the switch works both the front and rear light. Previous reviewers suggest that there is an over-voltage device; there may well be but I can't find any evidence on the Philips website or in the documentation.
As previous reviewers say the light output is good, its the brightest bike light I've ever had. Because of this the good cut off is necessary to save dazzling others.
To Phillips: you have a great product please boast about it and give prospective buyers more details.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very happy., 26 Nov 2014
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
I bought this lamp to replace the original equipment supplied with the bike, which has failed after only 2 years. In addition I bought, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271637573952, to connect to my Shimano dynamo. Simplicity itself to fit to the bare wires of the lamp and the lamp to the bike using the bolt holding the mudguard to the fork. I can just reach the on-off button on top with one hand while riding. Importantly the light stays on if you need to wait at a junction. Just have to find a suitable rear replace the rather feeble one supplied with the bike

I don't understand quite what 60 Lux means but it certainly lights up the alleyways on the ride home. Much brighter than anything I have ever seen on a bike or head torch.

5.0 out of 5 stars Let there be light!, 29 Nov 2014
Robert Friendship "frendo" (North Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
I bought this of the back of a review I came across whilst browsing other makes and I am extremely pleased to have done so.
I was using a Halogen (9 years now) and just could not see where I was going adequately.
I feel sure that anyone upgrading from a smaller and/or Halogen will be suitably impressed, ( I use it with a Shimano hub) Very favorably priced - good value too!
As a bonus I have noticed more car drivers taking interest in my presence,(day or night), which I am grateful for too.
Amazon sourced product was delivered with light-matching speed! Thank you.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright light, 22 Oct 2014
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
For years, I have used excellent battery powered lights commuting in the Pacific Northwest. Installing the saferide 60 was easy with a solid mounting bracket above my front fender. The light provides an awesome field of view that is evenly spread over a good distance in front of the bike. Oncoming cyclists have even given me comments on how bright the light is. Although the whole lighting system is pricey with the dynamo hub and taillight, it is well worth never having to charge a light again. I'd definitely recommend this light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Light, 8 July 2014
Dragonfly (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Philips Saferide Dynamo LED Bicycle Light 60 Lux (Sports)
A very good front light with a good cut off so you don't dazzle oncoming road users. I removed the light from its supplied fork mount, and used a handlebar mounting. Elsewhere there are reports of the Philips bracket fracturing. Also mounting on the handlebars keeps the light much cleaner and easier to switch on and off.

Edit to add 13 Oct 2014
To mount on the handlebars I used one of these http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schmidt-handlebar-fitting-dynamo-headlamp-bracket-prod9884/. brackets. I needed to buy a longer 70mm allen headed bolt (ebay) to mount the light and also used a slightly longer clamp bolt. It's mounted on Deda RHM01 drop bars which use a 31.8 clamp. This bracket will not fit that size so it is mounted on the narrower part of the top of the drops, which means I have slightly less space for my hand in that area, but I'm happy to forgo that. I have ridden on some rough surfaced tracks so the light has had a lot of vibration. To date the clamp hasn't moved on the bars, and has withstood the vibration.

Philips Saferide LED Bike Light 60 Dynamo Driven - Black