4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby
Although a bit tight for three people inside it makes for a gloriously spacious two man tent with plenty of space inside for all your gear. Its a perfectly reasonable weight for a large two-man as well, but expect a squeeze if there are three adults in it.
Published on 15 Aug 2012 by crossi1981

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy to erect
Easy to erect, but three people? Unless one is a stick insect, no way. As the feet end slopes in it is very tight to fit 2 air beds in.
Published 2 months ago by Colin Griffin-Turnbull

4.0 out of 5 stars Not too shabby, 15 Aug 2012
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
We took this on its first outing to the Isle of Skye and it happily withstood rain and wind as long as you pitch it orientated to the wind!
All in all, a great tent for the price. Lightweight for its size and perfectly sturdy and waterproof. Well done Coleman!.

5.0 out of 5 stars An epic tent, 14 Jun 2012
Mr. J. Ward (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
I picked up this tent at a motorcycle show after some inconsiderate person decided to fall on the one I had brought from home, and I must say I am very impressed. As a fairly keen camper in bygone years I had a good idea what I wanted, something with a large sleeping area and relatively good storage outside of the inner tent. Most importantly though I wanted something motorcycle friendly, a tent which packed small and weighed as little as possible. This tent ticks all the boxes. It easily fits into my topbox or waterproof rollbags and takes up much less space than tents I have used in previous years.

Pitching is a doodle, although if you leave the inner and outer attached (as I do) be careful when it is raining outside as water will affect the inner tent when erecting. I have used this tent three times now and I can put it up in around five minutes - not bad at all! The pegs provided are super lightweight jobbies, amazingly light in fact. One of my pegs has however met a premature end after an encounter with an underground stone in a Lake District campsite, so I advise taking a few extra pegs just in case.

Space inside the tent once erected is superb, more than enough for two people plus gear, and very comfortable for one person plus gear as I use it! Space outside the inner tent is good, I always sacrifice one door area for storage and keep the other clear. This provides me with enough space for keeping kit which doesn't need to be protected from the elements.

The Cobra 3 seems sturdy enough for most uses, I have never needed to use the guy lines however I would not want to use it up a mountain in gale force winds. But this is what you expect at this price point so I wouldn't necessarily see it as a major drawback.

The only complaint I can think of is due to the use of double zips on the outer tent entrances. At night you can accidentally pull the top zip downwards, effectively opening the entrance entirely, which causes awful drafts in the night. Try to avoid making this mistake like I did on a few occasions!

Overall this tent represents excellent value for money and it has helped rekindle my love for camping. Hurray for Coleman!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not so bad, 2 Dec 2012
Marco Gándara Rey (Santiago de Compostela) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
Good price for what it offer, good for two and three can be inside with a bit effort. No condensation and enough, but not "full" waterproof.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best camping purchase in a long time!, 14 July 2014
N. Dittes (Luleå, Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
Awesome tent! For the price, I don't think you can beat this. I bought this to share with my girlfriend on a camping trip. It's for three people, but if you have gear, you want extra room.

Pros:

I just love this tent!

If you stake it right to the ground, I don't think any reasonable wind could blow it over. I did a crappy job the first night and it still stayed up in some pretty strong wind.

VERY easy to set up. Fast as well.

One really great feature I noticed is how they left room for more gear between the inner tent and outer cover. I also lit a mosquito repellent stick (one of those slightly smoking non toxic things) under the outer cover on the entrance and it kept all the bugs out. I doubt they recommend that, but it was a safe way to keep the bugs out yet get some more air flow. Just be careful to not knock it over onto any part of the tent. I'm sure it would melt a hole in it (as would any tent). It smelled nice inside the tent then too lol.

I was surprised that it stayed fairly warm inside even when 6C outside at night. I measured it to be about 4C warmer inside just with body heat even in strong wind. That can be a big difference

I think it is very water proof. I'd still put a tarp under it to protect the bottom of the tent against sharp rocks etc, but it seems to keep the water out pretty well!

Cons:

One problem is though that it gets hot inside if the sun is beating on it.

The included stakes, though nicely shaped are a bit easy to bend when you have fists of ham like me beating on them with a rock into hard ground.

One strap on the bottom of the tent had a sewing defect. But that was about a 5 minute repair with a needle and thread.

Someday I'll come back to report how it holds up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good quality for a great price, 27 April 2012
Miss Olwen Rowlands (Southampton, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
This tent is really easy to put up - even on the first attempt it was fully pitched in about 10 minutes. The inner can be fully unclipped from the outer so it is possible to put both up together or (in case of bad weather) quickly pitch the outer and then hang the inner from inside the tent. The design is great: keeps the wind out and during heavy rainfall, the tent remained dry and comfortable inside. It is really lightweight and easy to carry around and I had no difficulty in fitting it back in to the bag after use.

Space-wise: good height as easy to sit up in; long enough for storage of bags at either the head or feet of the users. I think there would be plenty of room for 3 people although I guess you'd have to be pretty tidy!

Would recommend for anyone who is an occasional camper as it is really lightweight, compact to store and is easy to pitch and strike camp.

5.0 out of 5 stars Room to sit and take boots off as well as the critical easy to erect and fit for purpose (waterproof and wind ..., 24 July 2014
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
We took a long time looking for a lightweight tent for 2 plus dog and rucksacks. Room to sit and take boots off as well as the critical easy to erect and fit for purpose (waterproof and wind proof). We could have spent much more on an expedition tent, but at £91, this tent really fits the brief. Splitting the poles and tent across two rucksacks makes each pack very light and easy to accommodate in a rucksack. The tent comes already with the inner attached and erects so easy, there is no need to adjust after the first pegging and the inner and putter can sit on same pegs with a small marginal difference in height. The skins don't touch. The zips and seams are good quality, right down to luminous tags to help locate them. It is plenty big enough for 2 and dog and kit. We bought this for occasional planned wild camping and regular emergency carry for long mountain and hill walks. To that end, it had to be something light enough and small enough not to ever be considered to be left behind. It really is that tent and at under £100 it is another great Coleman product. Would I carry in alone? Well no, but then I would never walk alone either when it came to 20 miles +. The pegs are sturdy, but lightweight. The erection is relatively intuitive. Practice in the garden before you need to use it and you will have the time down to about 3 minutes. Great tent, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for our trip, 14 Aug 2014
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
I bought this tent for a 2 week camping trip around Iceland with my girlfriend in early June, 2014.

The tent itself is pretty light, and fits in a small bag which was great news for us as we only had one check in bag for our camping stuff. We hadn't practiced putting up the tent before our trip so when we arrived, it was the first time we had tried. The whole process of figuring out how it goes up to actually having it up and ready was about 5-6 minutes, it is a very simple tent with one long pole and one short pole that go at either end of the tent. Pegs then pull the poles upright and the inside compartment is clipped to the outer shell. It was really handy as a lot of the time we were putting it up in the rain!

The tent is just big enough for two people and luggage, maybe a tiny bit on the small side but we did have a lot of stuff! I would definitely recommend this tent over the two person tent if you are going to have quite a bit of luggage and no way of storing it outside of the tent.

The pegs are a good quality, not just the cheap ones you get with cheaper tents. It also comes with a little repair kit for holes which is handy.

5.0 out of 5 stars good tent, 22 Oct 2011
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
it looks ok the quality is fine easy to carry easy to setup in rain conditions but if you setup the tent alone in heavy rain you will get some water inside but the ventilesion is ok and you will probably not suffer to much... good quality tent...

5.0 out of 5 stars really great tent, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
lots of space inside, sturdy and very easy to pitch. Bought this when I saw my friend's one and I have been very happy with it

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tent and good value, 22 Aug 2014
This review is from: Coleman Cobra 3 Three Person Backpacking Tent (Sports)
I hadn't put up a tent in 20 years and it was raining in the couple of days between getting this and leaving for a 3 day trek on and around Ben Nevis, so no practise opportunity.

I needn't have worried - This tent was so easy to put together that I had it up and looking just like the promo shots in 15mins first time out of the bag.

As others have said, you couldn't fit 3 grown up in here, but it's fine for 2 and a couple of big rucksacks. Watertight and well ventilated (to the point of being a bit windy inside) there is nothing not to like.

with regard to the tight zips on the doors, that others have mentioned, I found that just pushing the pole in a bit as the zip was used helped a lot.