on 10 March 2011
This may well be the first review I have written.
I'm usually a skipper when listening to albums and the way things are, you rarely get an album you will listen to, all the way through, more than once.
I had been wanting this album for a while and decided to get it a few days ago. Chucked it in the car and turned it up.
I like the fact the released songs are mixed in with the rest, not all together.
There are some songs that you might consider skipping when they start, but believe me, leave them on and drink it up. This is a very listen able album. The man has a voice to die for. So much power and emotion.
I can't turn track ten up loud enough, the soulful beat is bonkers, good bonkers, James brown bonkers. That's why I'm here, telling you that this is brill. I want to get back in my car to go to town for something I haven't forgotten or don't need just to listen to it.
33 comments|98 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 27 June 2011
I wasn't sure what to expect as previously he was associated with hiphop & rap though the hit 'Forget You' is obviously not in that genre. Also having seen him on TV shows and concerts, he seems to blow hot & cold though live singing is always difficult. Still, I was not disappointed with this album! If like me you like some of that old stuff like Freddie Jackson & Keith Sweat then this is of a similar vein and you won't be disappointed - I don't like to associate/compare to other artists but for those of you who are not sure then that is the genre you will get. On listening to the album a second/third time I found myself singing along - well singing is probably not the best description! Someone else commented on track 10 being soulfull & almost "James Brown" and I wholeheartedly agree, though for those thinking that's not me, well not all tracks are like this. It is a mix of different soul styles and my favourite would be Track 11; 'It's OK', I bet you'll scream the chorus after a couple of listens!! Overall his articulation is fab and the passion he has for Soul comes out at 'Mach 5' so turn it up!
on 21 December 2011
This 55 year old timer bought this cd and i LOVE EVERY TRACK.....BUT a word of caution the last track is a rude version of FORGET YOU.....Apart from that it's great.....BUY IT...
Forget You was probably the feelgood song of 2010 (along with Eliza Doolittle's Pack Up) but until I saw Cee Lo on Jools Holland (and his brilliant Jackie Wilson tribute) I did not really think about listening to more of his music. Now I'm really glad I did as this is a really good album that ranges from some quite bizarre tracks (that grow on you) to some pure soul.
on 21 January 2012
Had only heard two tracks from this Album ["Forget You" and the newest single "Anyway"] but decided to risk buying it on the strength of them and was VERY glad I did, takes at least two if not three plays to fully appreciate the album, for me there is not a "bad" track on the disk!
in my opinon my favourite track is "Scarlet Fever".
Cee - Lo has a great soul type voice and this album is highly recomended and I have given it 5* which is unusually high for me.
TRY IT AND SEE, but take my advice and do give it at least two full playings before you make a judgement.
on 7 May 2012
I was looking forward to hearing this album after seeing Cee-Lo Green on Jools Holland 'Later' but unfortunately the audio quality is dreadful. The vocals are overbright and painful to listen to, the bass smears and there is no separation in the percussion. If you have a high end hi-fi system then don't bother with this CD.
on 10 March 2011
This album fully deserves 5 stars, its brilliant. It is R&B by modern classification but if anything its Pure soul reborn from the ashes of Motown. Cee Lo's voice is unique and his approach to music is a much missed asset these days. I hope he continues making music like this, i can see myself buying every album without thinking twice. Whether your a fan of classic soul or not i urge you to buy this album, its flawless.
on 26 March 2011
Love Gnarls Barkley and this is just as good, if not better. I can honestly say this is the best CD I've heard in a long time. There is not one duff track on it - a good mix of songs and, as a previous reviewer said, if you love Prince you will love this (I love Prince). I can't get enough of this CD - so be warned if you don't live alone you may irritate who you live with (luckily my hubbie loves it too!).
on 28 January 2012
One of the best album of 2011. From the MC's experience in Goodie Mob passing through the project Gnarls Barkley, Cee-Lo became one of the most interesting crooner on the scene, with silky voice and sixties atmosphere, he surrounds you with sweet ballads and involving rhythm. "Fool for you" featuring Philip Bailey is my favourite song, but you will appreciate most of songs included in "The Lady Killer": "F**k you", "Bright Lights, Bigger City", "I Want You" and "Old Fashioned" will bring you in a musical dream of r'n'b, pop and sixties grooves.
on 16 December 2010
Cee Lo has one of the most unique current voices that can be soulful, smooth, yet with a ruthlessness and killer edge. His lyrics are really dense and there is an underlying melancholy in his music that captures me everytime.

This album is showing his journey of growth. I believe it is excellent yet I have the nerve to still expect even better!

Favourite tracks: I Want You and Fool for You.

I hope you like it, too.