5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous
Published 21 months ago by sid berry

3.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't End
I was really enjoying the book until it stopped abruptly but promised a sequel in September 2011. As that date is long past I eagerly looked for the second installment to discover that it hasn't been written. As the fist in a series this book would work but if it is intended to stand alone, it will leave you sorely disappointed with too many loose ends untied.
Published 3 months ago by Julie

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, 11 Dec 2012
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Paperback)
Hi. I am a man of 64 years old and have ceen married for 40 of those years. I have a great wife, two fine sons and four terrific grandchildren. I normally buy books which are fact and non fiction. I purchased this book quite accidently as I assumed that for some reason or another that it was an historical book. I was wrong, it is a work of fiction for children. I did not realise this until I retired early a few evenings back and started to read it. I was still reading it at midnight. It is a really,lovely,gentle,harmless book. and it was so easy to read. There are no indiscretions of human nature in the book, absolutely no profanitary swearing..and it was a total pleasure to read. There is a sequel to the book of which I am making an effort to locate. To end with. Wonderful story & capivating I must relate to the very least that it can be read and enjoyed by anyone from 6 years old to a 100 years old. Sid Berry UK Brighton.

5.0 out of 5 stars Have a "Whirl" of a time with this one!, 11 Dec 2010
Mr. TC Kong (Peterborough, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Paperback)
Twelve year-old Connie and her brother, Charlie-Mouse, are desperate. School pest Malcolm Mollet's dad has applied to the local city council for permission to knock down their home and build new ones on the site. The whole family is, quite naturally, very upset about the affair, and the children decide to take matters into their own hands.

With the help of their strange neighbour, Wendy the Wendlewitch, and her magical potter's wheel, Connie and Charlie-Mouse travel back in time to 1940s Britain - first on their own, then subsequently with Malcolm - to discover the history of their home, and hopefully the secret that will save it from demolition. A problem arises, however, when Malcolm disappears on one of the trips back in time and Connie and Charlie-Mouse have to leave him behind. Strangely, nobody else in the present seems to notice that Malcolm is no longer there!

This is a gripping story, with a surprising twist in the tail. Although it was written for slightly younger, pre-teenage children, adults who grew up in the sixties, seventies and eighties on a diet of films about the second world war should also find it captivating. Whirl of the Wheel certainly brought back memories of childhood and childhood adventures (real and imaginary) for me. I can thoroughly recommend it as a read for the whole family.

5.0 out of 5 stars Shared Read, 17 April 2012
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
I shared this book with my 8 year old son, who is not really into books. We both really enjoyed it and he even borrowed the kindle to read it by himself (I don't think he has ever voluntarily picked up a book). It was a good read and would be interesting to both boys and girls. We also read The Haunted Trouserswhich had a second world war/time travel theme too and he really enjoyed that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Jan 2014
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
This is a good little story, which can appeal to all. The author is a very good writer and puts the story together very well. The characters are full bodied and beliveable. I liked the style of writting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Read, 8 Nov 2012
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
Brilliant book my 9 year old couldn't put it down. He's doing ww2 history and this gave him a real sense of being there.

3.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't End, 26 May 2014

3.0 out of 5 stars Whirl of the wheel was alright, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
This was rather short, and I didn't realise you need to buy the next book to find out the end of the story.

But overall it was ok, easy enough to read and I got quite into it. The story idea was good, that children can go back in time to world war times and see what their village was like then, but I really didn't like it not containing the ending.

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming, old fashioned fantasy for all ages., 6 April 2014
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
Whirl of the wheel is an old fashioned story for all ages centering on a group of time travelling children. It is charming, wonderfully written, warm hearted and enjoyable. If you are looking for fast paced action, this book isn't it. If however you are looking for an easy, short, deliberately paced read, with bags of heart and likeable, interesting characters, then you could do a lot worse than this. Well worth an hour or three of your time.

3.0 out of 5 stars Strange, 1 April 2014
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
A very strange story, but somehow hard to put down. Shame the book isn't longer , as you don't get a chance to get properly involved with the characters.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty awful really!, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Whirl of the Wheel (Kindle Edition)
Hmmm! Not got a lot to say really apart from I didn't enjoy it at all. The writing was too flowery and overly descriptive, the story jumped about all over the place and was hard to follow. For a short book, this took me a surprisingly long time to read because I just couldn't get into it. Afraid I can't recommend this book at all.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›