5.0 out of 5 stars So funny

1.0 out of 5 stars Jo Brand book
Published on 1 Mar. 2011 by jh101

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 1 Oct. 2010
I love Jo Brand - comedian, writer, mum, actor, former psychiatric nurse - the woman's a legend! I am a huge fan of her comedy and it's this area that I'm really interested in. This books goes into loads of detail about how Jo started out in stand up and what she had to go through in order to become the success that she is today. Some of her early bookings sound like they were torture (I had no idea hecklers could be so horrible!) and it was interesting to hear how nervous she was when she first started - something that I don't think comes across in her performances at all. Really fascinating stuff, sprinkled with quite a lot of naughty stories, this is vintage Jo Brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy superstar, 1 Oct. 2010
I really enjoyed Jo's first book and I wanted to hear more about her stand up career so I couldn't wait to read this one. I've nearly finished it and it's fantastic. Jo tells us all about how her she decided to start doing full time stand-up comedy, her memorable gigs - successes and disasters! - going on tv and about her family life too. I loved reading about her early performances, all the celebrities she knows and about how she juggles her home life with her career - a side to Jo that I didn't know about before I read this. All told in the lovely warm style that I so enjoyed in her first book. Brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jo Brand book, 1 Mar. 2011
I already own "Look Back in Hunger" which was written in a lighthearted way regarding her background, career and life experiences. I expected this book to be more in a similar vein. Not so. Endless pages of which comedy venues she likes / dislikes and why, and similar uninteresting "facts." Found it mind numbingly yawn making and nothing like the former book. Big disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Fun, 4 Oct. 2010
I read this over the weekend after having read Jo's first book Look Back In Hunger which I bought in paperback and I SO enjoyed. This hardback looks lovely with some great pictures. I love this book, Jo is so warm and funny and generous, it's like meeting your best friend. In this one she writes about her career as a comic from when she first started on TV on Friday Night Live right up to now including all her touring, and stand up work, television radio, Edinburgh gigs, Getting On, Trinny and Susannah, running the London Marathon, rally driving. Her Ode to the Menopause made me laugh out loud, rather embarrassingly. It's full of amazing anecdotes and insights and she's very open about her family and getting married, friends. I love the story where her daughter asks her 'Are you Jo Brand?' Priceless. If you want some sunshine and laughter in your life then read this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Jun. 2013
Can't Stand Up For Sitting Down

I'm think Jo Brand is funny and clever but I found this book a terrible disappointment. Having enjoyed Look Back in Hunger I was really looking forward to the next volume of her autobiography but I couldn't believe how dull it was. The few interesting bits were buried in a mass of padding and I felt that it should have been a shorter and therefore livelier book. Sorry Jo, but you've waffled on... and on... to the point of tedium.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jo brand fan..., 6 Nov. 2010
I bought Jo Brand's previous book and found it very hilarious, in my view this one got off to a slow start as it simply describes her career and how it starts although its still interesting. I liked the second half of it better as it meanders through what Jo likes and I found this easier to identify with. I love Jo brand's depreciating style, her desire to protect her children and her sense of humour. Very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Jo's readers and fans. Most interesting, 2 Nov. 2010
D. Layzell - See all my reviews
I took a few pages to get into this one, but was soon swept along with Jo as ever. I previously read and enjoyed "Look back in hunger" and have equally enjoyed this book.
Recommended, and if you've never read anything of hers before do get this - you will soon want more!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing....., 9 Dec. 2014
This review is from: Can't Stand Up For Sitting Down (Kindle Edition)
There must be a single word for a woman like this lady......but I dont know what it is.
Ms Brand 's style of writting is boring and full of self opinions.
For a hardened Labour supporter, she does a good bit of brow nosing.
She says what she likes under the auspices of her stand up comedy persona , so that makes it all right then....
I think this book gas been a money making exercise, not as good as her previous efforts.
But Hey!.......she wont give a s***...!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow up book, 20 May 2011
This is really a good follow up book and covers the next phase of Jo's life. A good read, full of chuckles.

2.0 out of 5 stars rushed, 12 Jun. 2011
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
I enjoy Jo Brand's work. I think she is a funny, articulate, clever woman who has a lot to say and who says it in an interesting way. I thoroughly enjoyed the first volume of her memoirs and hoped for more of the same in this book. I have to say that I was a little disappointed with this. Each chapter tackles a different topic, rather than taking us through her life in roughly chronological order as her first memoir did. Some of the chapters are fairly interesting but I really struggled with the my favourite books etc. Not so much that she was writing about them. I always think what someone reads or watches is an interesting key to the kind of person they are, but because of the kind of book review aspect of it all. These chapters on books, films and plays seemed very much lightweight, filler material. Particularly the chapter about theatre, in which she only really covers about three plays. If I want to know the plot of Dickens' A Christmas Carol I can look that up elsewhere. It's not really what I am buying this book for though.

I appreciate that much of the material in this book affects Jo's life as she lives it now. It is much easier perhaps to be revealing about our distant past, as it is not going to affect whether we get the next job, or whether someone will have a go at us for telling an unsavoury anecdote about them, but it is possible to be slightly more forthcoming than she is here, without being salacious, or revealing too much about herself. I thought this book was rushed and rather unsatisfactory.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›