5.0 out of 5 stars So funny

1.0 out of 5 stars Jo Brand book
Published on 1 Mar 2011 by jh101

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars So funny, 1 Oct 2010
I love Jo Brand - comedian, writer, mum, actor, former psychiatric nurse - the woman's a legend! I am a huge fan of her comedy and it's this area that I'm really interested in. This books goes into loads of detail about how Jo started out in stand up and what she had to go through in order to become the success that she is today. Some of her early bookings sound like they were torture (I had no idea hecklers could be so horrible!) and it was interesting to hear how nervous she was when she first started - something that I don't think comes across in her performances at all. Really fascinating stuff, sprinkled with quite a lot of naughty stories, this is vintage Jo Brand.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comedy superstar, 1 Oct 2010
I really enjoyed Jo's first book and I wanted to hear more about her stand up career so I couldn't wait to read this one. I've nearly finished it and it's fantastic. Jo tells us all about how her she decided to start doing full time stand-up comedy, her memorable gigs - successes and disasters! - going on tv and about her family life too. I loved reading about her early performances, all the celebrities she knows and about how she juggles her home life with her career - a side to Jo that I didn't know about before I read this. All told in the lovely warm style that I so enjoyed in her first book. Brilliant.

1.0 out of 5 stars Jo Brand book, 1 Mar 2011
I already own "Look Back in Hunger" which was written in a lighthearted way regarding her background, career and life experiences. I expected this book to be more in a similar vein. Not so. Endless pages of which comedy venues she likes / dislikes and why, and similar uninteresting "facts." Found it mind numbingly yawn making and nothing like the former book. Big disappointment.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Good Fun, 4 Oct 2010
I read this over the weekend after having read Jo's first book Look Back In Hunger which I bought in paperback and I SO enjoyed. This hardback looks lovely with some great pictures. I love this book, Jo is so warm and funny and generous, it's like meeting your best friend. In this one she writes about her career as a comic from when she first started on TV on Friday Night Live right up to now including all her touring, and stand up work, television radio, Edinburgh gigs, Getting On, Trinny and Susannah, running the London Marathon, rally driving. Her Ode to the Menopause made me laugh out loud, rather embarrassingly. It's full of amazing anecdotes and insights and she's very open about her family and getting married, friends. I love the story where her daughter asks her 'Are you Jo Brand?' Priceless. If you want some sunshine and laughter in your life then read this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Jo brand fan..., 6 Nov 2010
I bought Jo Brand's previous book and found it very hilarious, in my view this one got off to a slow start as it simply describes her career and how it starts although its still interesting. I liked the second half of it better as it meanders through what Jo likes and I found this easier to identify with. I love Jo brand's depreciating style, her desire to protect her children and her sense of humour. Very good.

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 10 Jun 2013
Can't Stand Up For Sitting Down

I'm think Jo Brand is funny and clever but I found this book a terrible disappointment. Having enjoyed Look Back in Hunger I was really looking forward to the next volume of her autobiography but I couldn't believe how dull it was. The few interesting bits were buried in a mass of padding and I felt that it should have been a shorter and therefore livelier book. Sorry Jo, but you've waffled on... and on... to the point of tedium.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good follow up book, 20 May 2011
This is really a good follow up book and covers the next phase of Jo's life. A good read, full of chuckles.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for Jo's readers and fans. Most interesting, 2 Nov 2010
D. Layzell - See all my reviews
I took a few pages to get into this one, but was soon swept along with Jo as ever. I previously read and enjoyed "Look back in hunger" and have equally enjoyed this book.
Recommended, and if you've never read anything of hers before do get this - you will soon want more!

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing....., 9 Dec 2014
This review is from: Can't Stand Up For Sitting Down (Kindle Edition)
There must be a single word for a woman like this lady......but I dont know what it is.
Ms Brand 's style of writting is boring and full of self opinions.
For a hardened Labour supporter, she does a good bit of brow nosing.
She says what she likes under the auspices of her stand up comedy persona , so that makes it all right then....
I think this book gas been a money making exercise, not as good as her previous efforts.
But Hey!.......she wont give a s***...!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Hugely enjoyable read, 1 Jun 2014
This review is from: Can't Stand Up For Sitting Down (Kindle Edition)
Very enjoyable account of the life/career of a very funny, down-to-earth lady.
Encouraged to see her stand-up performance at next opportunity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›