on 27 May 2013
Delivery was super fast. The machine is a thing of beauty, it is quite compact compared to other machines we've had. Not too noisy and makes very good coffee. We do use quite large drinking mugs which are difficult to fill, even the Extra Long Coffee isn't enough. But it is very easy to use and change the style, taste and strength of the coffee you want. We would definitely recommend this machine even for the beginner.
on 23 June 2013
My old espresso machine died a couple of weeks ago- old style grind the coffee, load it into the thingumy. Made ok coffee formany years but I was never quite satisfed by the crema. So, after a bit of reasearch I decided to go for a bean to cup- I've tried my brothers Nespresso machine and sure, it makes good coffee, but it's kind of souless- a bit like a readymade rather than a rollup! And although there are a few flavour options, it's nothing like the range of coffee beans that are out there. However, I thought wow, these things are expensive. I can't justify spend £500+ just to make nice coffee- then I spotted this one, great reviews, good price (ok £350+ is still a lot but doesn't feel quite as irresponsible). One thing though, sorry Amazon, I found it cheaper at John Lewis so got mine from them!

Got it home, it's a bit bigger than I was expecting and where it sits on my kitchen worktop I can't use the cup warmer because of the top cupboards- not a problem though as I wasn't intending to use this feature anyway,but worth noting.

Got it set up and running inside half an hour- which included doing a water hardness test using a little strip that comes included. Now had it two days and have to say I'm very impressed so far- lovely espresso's, particularly like the fact you can set the length of both an espresso and long coffee to suit your own cup size which it will then memorize, and the ability to set it to turn on for a particular time is a nice touch too- it only takes a minute or two to turn on anyway, but it does mean you can have it ready to dish up a coffee in the morning as soon as you step into the kitchen. My wife thought her capuccino I knocked up last night was lovely with a good densely frothy top on it.

It has one down-side as far as I can see- I'm going to find it very difficult to limit the amount of coffee I drink in future!
on 10 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM04.320.S Long Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine is a lovely piece of kitchen equipment. The machine is compact, so it won't take up too much space in small kitchens, and I like the grey colour and modern stream-lined design. In terms of design features other than appearance, the machine is easy to operate and, crucially, easy to clean without any fiddling about.

It offers a range of options for different coffees and allows you to select the strength you prefer, as well as how finely or coarsely you want the coffee beans to be ground, which influences the taste of the coffee. You have the choice of using beans or pre-ground coffee. I prefer to use beans and the initial results weren't too bad. The instructions recommend that you make 4 - 5 cups before using the machine to make coffee to drink, as it takes a little while to get going. As with any new gadget, it takes a while to get used to it but overall, setting up the De'Longhi Magnifica ESAM04.320.S Long Bean-to-Cup Coffee Machine was fairly simple and uncomplicated.

With practice, it makes excellent coffee without any hassle, especially cappuccino (love the milk frothing tool!), and I think we might become the envy of the neighbourhood!
VINE VOICEon 16 July 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
To say the world of coffee machines is vast is quite an understatement as there are literally HUNDREDS to choose from and this can make the task of trying to find a good one rather difficult.

Coffee machines come in a huge variety of shapes and sizes, ranging from low priced budget machines for around £100 to fully fledged Hi-Tech machines that cost upwards of £1000 and beyond.

This machine is a middle of the range model fitting in the £400-£500 category, which in my honest opinion is extremely pricey for a luxury item that is in effect a glorified kettle and grinder rolled into one.

That said though, this machine does really does deliver the results and its already earned a permanent place in my kitchen. If you up to this point only have been using instant coffee granules then you seriously have been missing out as the quality/taste upgrade is considerable. If you weren't a coffee addict before, you certainly will when you fire up this machine a few times!

PROS:
*The machine uses proper coffee beans of your choosing, and the machine will digest the beans almost instantly which i really liked, which is handy if you are in a rush. It also has the option to use granulated coffee if you prefer (but i honestly can't imagine why you wouldn't want to use the proper beans when they deliver the best results.)

*The machine is capable of producing coffees of various strengths and measurements, just by pressing a few buttons you can have the type and amount of coffee your choosing (for E.g Extra Mild Taste, Standard size coffee etc). The machine produces lattes, espressos and cappuccinos in particular very well.

*The machine uses own built in water tank which means you don't have to fiddle about with complicated water plumbing; and its internal coffee tray means cleaning the machine is usually a simple case of opening the front door and emptying its contents into the bin and then you are done!

CONS:
*Its low hanging coffee and water spouts do let the side down. As this machine is mainly designed for proper coffee cups that are short, meaning if you are in a household that tends to use standard size mugs, then you are gonna have issues trying to prevent some of the contents spilling everywhere when you try and remove the mug after it has been filled.

*The Water/Steam spout is a bit of a design flaw. Selecting whether you want to heat up your milk or add more water to your brew is achieved by pulling the nozzle slider down to the desired option. When you do this however its especially easy to catch your hand on the very hot over-hanging spout if you a little accident prone like me. A button press function instead of a nozzle slider would have solved this issue.

*Its simplistic button scheme is rather counter-intuitive. Each function of the machine is represented by a symbol rather than words and even when you had time to practice and memorize what each button does, its very easy to make a mistake and the machine is very slow to react to the fact that you wish to cancel your action even when you press the Esc(ape) button several times. If simple word phrases were used instead this would have been a much user friendly machine to get to grips with.

Overall this machine is delivers excellent coffee and that is what you would want the machine to do. It's just a shame that this machine has few too many quirks to warrant its rather large price tag in my view. So a decent attempt by DeLonghi, but you can definitely find better coffee machines for the same money.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 22 December 2011
After an initial delay caused by Yodel, the delivery people, I received a replacement machine the very next day, after I complained to Amazon. You can't get better than that!
The machine makes exceptional coffee even using Sainsbury's own brand espresso beans. Much, much better than my old Gaggia bean to cup machine. I have been looking for something to complain about, but I can't find anything. The machine is much quieter than the Gaggia, the quantity of coffee dispensed is very accurate and the strength of the drink is consistant with the chosen settings. It is very simple to operate and even sinpler to set for one's own preferences. ( I usually have difficulty setting up new machines like video recorders and stuff, but this machine is very user friendly) I have had several compliments on the machine's appearance even without asking!
What else can one say? the answer is that it is an exceptional machine, particularly for a domestic appliance, well made and does the job it was purchased for vey well indeed.
on 5 March 2012
I have owned this machine for just over a month now, and quite frankly love it. When my old machine failed I thought long and hard about how much to spend on a new machine and read lots of reviews. After much deliberation I settled on this one and am so pleased I did.Whether you are making long blacks, Capps, espresso or lattes the end result is excellent; in my opinion beans have the edge but it does a great job with pre ground as well. It uses a fair bit of water cleaning and heating itself but for me is not an issue, the drip tray has a water gauge! It tells you when to fill the water tank, when to empty the grounds container and when it needs descaleing. I do think it is perhaps a tad noisy, but don't let this put you off, and i have read reviews that say it is slow; i dont think it because it is still quicker than a kettle and quicker than my old DeLonghi, so in my opinion it is all relative!One of my best gadget purchases to date and has nearly made my kettle obsolete!
on 22 March 2013
After previously having owned a capsule coffee machine (a Which Best Buy), I bought this machine (also a Which Best Buy). The first thing I realized is that coffee beans that are ground fresh have much more aroma than coffee pod machines. The coffee taste and aroma from this machine is just as good as it gets and is as good as the one I used to make using a manual pump coffee machine. The machine is not very loud and the entire time from pressing to button to getting a full cup (including grinding) is about a minute. There are controls for how fine you want the coffee beans ground, for the amount of coffee powder you want used each time (weak or strong coffee), the volume of coffee liquor per cup. The machine is intelligent enough to tell when the drip tray is full, when the tank needs filling, when the grounds container needs emptying. The only negative I can think of is that the machine is so loaded with sensors that, if any of the sensors develops a fault, the machine will stop working entirely.
on 5 August 2011
i've had 3 machines of this ilk over the last 9 years. first a saeco, then 2 DL's (same company and bits inside basically).
does everything, no fault no fuss. very very good coffee every time, easy, clean and ...great coffee. had 6 years from the first. gave it a good funeral it deserved it. the second going strong (ESAM4400) given to my kids. now I've got this one. perfect.de longhi support great. dont listen to the rubbish about them being bought out by kenwood/phillips. its a good thing. dont go for a model that does cappuchin milk in a jug. not hot enough and too many bubbles. milk is like a guinness head fron this machine.
on 11 January 2013
All good, slightly noisey as per the reviews but makes an excellent cup of coffee once you have sorted out the settings.
on 31 October 2013
This is my first bean to cup machine and I'm thrilled with it. The coffee is superb and the double espresso with a fair amount of milk makes a lovely cappuccino or latte, however for calorie reasons I prefer to use less milk and the weaker long coffee option works well giving a lovely milky coffee without the need for too much of the white stuff. The milk wand has 2 settings for if you prefer your hot milk creamy or really frothy. This again is a good option catering for differing tastes. My son tells me it's the best cup of domestic coffee he has ever tasted. Only time will tell about its reliability but at the moment I'm delighted.