on 8 January 2011
I'll discuss the Story, the Format, the Level of Spanish and the Length.

STORY
This is a (very) short fairytale about a beggar who captures a girl, stuffs her in his bag and her subsequent escape. Actually, it's a lot less interesting than even that description makes out!

However, I bought it primarily to practise my Spanish. So the story wasn't too much of a selling point.

FORMAT
The Kindle version has the story twice:
The first version is where each Spanish paragraph is followed by the English translation. In the smallest font size this means you get about three paragraphs (of each language) a page. It's not too much bother to jump the English paragraph but it is very easy to sneak a peek at a word or two without going to the effort of working it out yourself.
The second version (which is explained as an experimental version) is meant only to be viewed in the smallest font size. The story is in two columns: the Spanish is on the left and the English is on the right. However, the text is still a bit of a jumble and a lot harder to read because of the shortness of the lines (just four or five words in each of the languages). Not worth reading at all.

Because the story is not long at all, I think that it would be better if future versions had the complete story in Spanish first and then the complete one in English.

LENGTH
It is very short. There are only 187 locations and remember that the story is produced twice (four times if you include the English versions as well!)

LEVEL OF SPANISH
I would place myself as an intermediate learner of Spanish. I found that I understood the gist easily but that there were a few words or expressions I didn't know. For example, the subjunctive is used on a couple of occasions and some words, like 'alms', are not ones I've ever had to recognise before!

OVERALL
I would say that for 74p you can't really go wrong. Short but sweet!
on 10 December 2012
I haven't got very far with the stories. I am a beginner in Spanish, so don't expect to make great headway with them at first. (These are parallel translation texts, by the way: you get the story in Spanish, and then in English.) Great resource for learning Spanish.
on 21 March 2011
A translation of the traditional short story as found in many Spanish dual-language readers. The conversion itself seems reasonable, if a little oddly phrased in places. I'd call the level beginner-intermediate.

However, there's only perhaps 500-600 words of Spanish here - it is very short indeed. You may find other dual language readers offer better value.
on 17 May 2011
This is a short story but for a few pence a useful addition to your reading if you are a beginner/intermediate level student.

It is in two formats, the first is fine, you can adjust the font size easily. The second is side by side and you can only read it in the smallest font. Although they call this second layout experimental I cannot find anywhere to feed back to them.

For me this second format is useless, it is difficult enough concentrating on reading in a second language without having to struggle to read the print too.
on 28 March 2013
You need more than holiday spanish to read this book, but because it is dual language, you can easily learn the words you are unsure of. It teaches you how the spanish really speak grammatically. I would recommend this book as a language learning aid
on 26 December 2012
As an intermediate student who at times finds the various past tenses confusing, this book was very easy to understand and a pleasure to read.
on 9 April 2013
Seemed a bit old fashioned. Not very exciting. A bit childish. Also, it was a lot shorter than I thought. Was disappointed.
on 11 June 2013
Worth reading as a guide to helping you understand Spanish the stories are quite effective and easy to understand. Good
on 27 February 2014
No more nor less than I expected. Ideal for my level of early Spanish learning. No further comment felt necessary.
on 29 April 2013
I thought this little book was a bit scary for children but it had an interesting ending and was an easy read