5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, pleasurable read
Published on 22 Nov 2010 by H. B. Hosegoood

3.0 out of 5 stars Honey Bees
A brief but interesting book on a bee keeping which combined with a personal view of meditation does a fair job of showing bee keeping is in it self a disciple demanding a quiet spirit
Published 26 days ago by Michael E Frys

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, pleasurable read, 22 Nov 2010
H. B. Hosegoood (Devon, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This book wasn't quite what I expected, but I loved it anyway. First of all, the title is great and I only wished someone had asked me what I was reading at the time so I could have told them. It is also physically beautiful, with lovely endpapers and great quality paper, which I didn't think mattered all that much to me, but I must admit is a great bonus. It's the sort of book you'd get from the Folio Society. And now for the content:
I was expecting something along the lines of: 'Look at the bees; see how they hum. As they hum so must you hum your mantra.' Actually the book has three subjects: firstly the author's initial experiences with bees and information on basic beekeeping, secondly his current battles for the survival of his hives and thirdly information about meditation. What you get is a little bit about one subject, then a little bit about another. Sometimes there is an obvious link and sometimes there isn't. It's a pleasant journey, and I didn't feel there was ever too much on one subject because just when I felt I had a lot to take in (I am eager to learn), the subject would move on to another topic.
Now I happen to be enrolled on a beekeeping course in a few months time and I happen to be eager to develop my meditation skills, so you could say that this book was made for me. Who else might be interested? Actually, anyone with an interest in bees would enjoy this, and anyone afraid of bees too, as understanding your enemy is the first stage of defense. But don't buy this book if you couldn't care less about bees - I don't think the author would want you to anyway.

3.0 out of 5 stars Honey Bees, 3 July 2014
This review is from: Meditation and the Art of Beekeeping (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars Two Books in One, 11 Dec 2012
Donna Forbes (Bucks, UK) - See all my reviews
If you are interested in meditation and bee keeping, this book has a lot of information for those starting on the paths. However, it is like reading two books that have been merged, one on beekeeping through the year and the cycles of the bee hive with lots of facts and information. The second book is about steadily progressing into deeper meditative states, also instructive. However, I have plenty of books on both and bought this as I had expected it to be about meditating WITH bees. Instead it is about using the same mindfulness skills that you apply to beekeeping, when you practise meditation.
Well written and a nice enough read but not what I was expecting.

4.0 out of 5 stars Two Books in One---Double the Fun & Bee a Beekeeper!, 8 May 2013
Jay Gilbertson "Published Author" (Prairie Farm, WI USA) - See all my reviews
The Way to Bee
Meditation and the Art of Beekeeping

By Mark Magill

It's once again spring (finally) and time for my May bee book review. I found this book at the MOSES Organic Farmer's Conference and it was a really refreshing read. Not only do you walk through the four seasons of beekeeping, but learn some useful meditative lessons along the way. And the author gets pretty personal too, which really drove the writing forward as it gave a window into author Magill's fascination with beekeeping. Through this art; he found himself. There also are many bee-factoids which I found fascinating.

"A queen can lay between 175,000 and 200,000 eggs a year. As such she is the sole mother for many hundreds of thousands of bees over her lifetime. The queen's other important role is to produce the pheromones that govern and organize many of the colony's functions."

Though I am admittedly not presently practicing meditation, I would imagine it to be a really useful tool since you need to be calm and centered whenever working with your bees. Magill shares two reasons many of us find it nearly impossible to do.

"The two main obstacles to actual concentrated meditation are a sinking and wandering mind...sinking mind in the gross sense means falling asleep. Wandering mind is characterized by excitable thoughts that chase after one another like wild monkeys."

As we're moved season to season, Magill shares the current reality of how beekeeping has dramatically changed. Now, over-wintering bees is more like a mad roll of the dice in that you're certain to lose at least half of your hives, if not all of them. Colony Collapse Disorder is something the author (as well as I) grapples with each and every spring as he lifts the covers off his hives only to find them either empty or simply silent. Yet he finds the energy to replace them year after year. One reason is the honey.

"Consider that each drop of honey represents about 80 drops of nectar. Once the watery nectar is deposited in the honeycomb cells, the bees have to evaporate nearly all of the moisture before it becomes honey. A strong working hive can contain close to 200 pounds of honey. Even a teaspoonful represents thousands upon thousands of flights of foraging bees. One calculation has it that 1 pound of honey represents visits to 2 million flowers."

One aspect of this narrative I found to have slowed the pace was the use of `windows' placed willy-nilly throughout, within them were various quotes and verses, many of which added little to the overall themes.

As Magill moves from winter into spring, his life unfolds into something new again. He learns to let go, to be more present and to embrace change not as something tangible, but a thing to step into. Like standing in a creek and enjoying the flow of cool water as it passes over your feet.

"There are a lot of reasons to meditate. There are a number of reasons why one would want to keep bees. Whatever the reasons, one can ask a few simple questions about the results...but asking the questions is essential."

I encourage you to keep bees, we need more beekeepers and this book will present you not only with a simple guide, but also a roadmap to something even more incredible--

You.

4.0 out of 5 stars really enjoyable lovely little book, 11 Mar 2012
As a newcomer to beekeeping and someone who tries to meditate the idea of combining th two really appeals to me. It is a delightful book. I'm not sure that I agree with the author that the Langstroth hive is a good or kind choice for the bees. Apart from that I got a lot out of reading this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really enjoy this book..., 24 Feb 2013
Great book, very interesting and very relaxing read. If you're into nature and toying with the idea of meditation like me then you'll love this book.