4.0 out of 5 stars A new breed of horror game?
Rise of Nightmares is a horror game controlled entirely with Kinect.
You play as Josh- an alcoholic- on holiday with his wife as a last ditch attempt to save his marriage.
Published on 21 Sep 2011 by A. Mubarik

1.0 out of 5 stars Kinect Incompatible
Published on 10 Sep 2011 by (ノ*゚ーA...

4.0 out of 5 stars A new breed of horror game?, 21 Sep 2011
A. Mubarik (uk) - See all my reviews
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Rise of Nightmares - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360) (Video Game)
Rise of Nightmares is a horror game controlled entirely with Kinect.
Whilst travelling through Eastern Europe the train is attacked and de-railed, and his wife kidnapped, leaving him and the other survivors stranded in a dark forest. They seek refuge in an ominous looking castle..........

GAMEPLAY & CONTROLS

The most important thing to consider is whether or not you'd feel comfortable with the control scheme, as it does require some degree of co-ordination on your part.

From a standing (neutral) position, by placing either foot forward - your character (in game) moves forward, similarly by placing a foot backwards you move backwards.

Turning is achieved by twisting your shoulders (to the left/right).
To interact - just hold one hand out, to fight - put both hands up like a boxer.

The controls felt awkward at first, but became more instinctive after a few hours play. It's responsive and Kinect picks up movements well.

The `auto walk' option (activated by raising your right hand) helps if you're struggling, (although I rarely used it).
It also helps to point you in the right direction if ever you're unsure where to go next. But it can't be used in certain rooms (those with traps.)
Head-tracking works in cutscenes and side-stepping during boss-fights only.

When fighting, you automatically lock on to the nearest enemy, health recovers gradually, you can defend (by crossing your arms), and can only hold one main weapon at a time - which can degrade and break.

There's a variety of one/two handed and projectile weapons (axes, chainsaws, explosives etc) and a few other `special surprises'! You can target an enemy's limbs with melee weapons, and use your feet to kick them back (useful when surrounded.)
One handed weapons can be held in either left or right hands, and you can always use your `kick' attack - even when defending.

The variety of enemies give combat an element of strategy, e.g zombies - some spew acid, have weapons, armour, can self destruct etc, which effects how you approach each situation.
There are creepy clown dolls, banshee's that can deafen you with screams (cover your ears - no really - Kinect can detect it,) and a Frankenstein-like giant who has poor sight and detects you by movement and sound (so you have to stay perfectly still/quiet when he's close!)

A few rooms require you to dodge mechanical traps, they look daunting - but are easy to get past if you think about what you're doing.

The game also features context based events and some simple puzzles - which use Kinect in a number of interesting ways. They mimic real-life movements and add a lot of variety to the combat heavy game play.

The game has an arcade-like feel, the combat has depth, but the adventure elements are fairly simple, although there is a good variety to them, and always something new to see and do just around the corner.

GRAPHICS

The graphics, whilst not the best are suitably atmospheric. The character models/monsters are detailed, lip synching and animation is fine. There is no screen tearing or slowdown.

Some locations feel `empty', (early on), but the environments become larger, and the art style more fantastical the further into the game you go.

SOUND

The in game music fits the setting. Character voices are a little cheesy and the script OTT, but it fits the b-movie, tongue-in-cheek style.

There is one irritating part in the graveyard when one character keeps repeating the same line of dialogue whenever you walk past, but apart from that it's fine.

FEATURES

It's a single player game, has multiple difficulty settings and is rated +18 for a reason (excessive gore / bad language.)
The story mode has nine chapters (providing approx 10 - 12hrs play time), plus three 'challenge levels'.

The presentation is good - and the menus are easy to navigate.
The environments are open to exploration, but story progression is linear. There are collectibles - detective tapes, tarot cards, and secret events, plus there's a chapter select option.

OVERALL

I found Rise of Nightmares to be a refreshing, unique and immersive experience that uses Kinect in a number of innovative ways.
In turns scary, tense, goofy and funny, it's a little rough in places but overall a worthwhile and memorable experience.
But, I stress, the whole experience depends upon whether you can feel comfortable with the control scheme and the level of co-ordination required.

RECOMMENDED
If you like B-Movie horror
If you like The House of the Dead, Splatterhouse or older Resident Evil games.
If you bought Kinect for new game experiences.

AVOID
If you feel the control system sounds too odd or complicated.
If you're expecting AAA blockbuster quality.
If you're expecting a serious in depth adventure game.

5.0 out of 5 stars Persevere With This Game......, 14 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
.......it's alot of fun once you get the hang of the control mechanic. I did wonder if I'd made the right choice in buying this game this evening but the assistant at my local Asda store said he'd refund me if I didn't like it, unusual but I took him up on his offer and purchased the game.

Initially I made sure the Kinect was properly calibrated, takes a few minutes but is well worth doing. Once the game starts take your time and learn the onscreen prompts for the movement etc, it doesn't take long , although having said that, my initial reaction was that the graphics were pretty good but how am I gonna learn and remember the various moves.....shouldn't have worried as once the story starts you are prompted all the way through and after about 10 or 15 minutes I was instinctively and almost automatically playing the game and starting to enjoy the title.

The game is pretty gory and bloody , I wouldnt say I was scared but I did get the feeling of the hair standing up on the back of my neck a few times in the half hour I played it.

Give it a chance people and persevere with it for around 20 to 30 minutes and you will get the hang of the controls and really get into the game. A great title in my opinion and hopefully the start of things to come. I like the sports titles but I wanted something different to do with the Kinect and this title has certainly given me food for thought and should see the Kinect take gaming in a different and fun direction. Excellent stuff, enjoy everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Promising Future for Kinect Games, 24 Sep 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
The controls for this can sound daunting but in truth I got used to them within the first 15-30 minutes of play. At the beginning you are rather concious of the 'lag' from when you perform an action to when the game carries it out, however within the first 45-60 minutes I found that I no longer noticed a lag... I reckon it's so small that you can begin to unconsciously predict it and time your moves accordingly.

Surprisingly for me at least, I found the story better than I had first expected, the game takes the time to set the scene and guides you through with decent cut-scenes. The graphics are in a sort of 'House of the Dead' style in which the gritty style seems well suited to the game.

There is a wide variety of weapons which is good, and the game is pretty good at getting the targeting of individual limbs correct which proves helpful if your foe has a particular fleshy part you want to target - usually the head is a good bet :)

In addition to the storyline you can find 'tapes' left by a detective who was here before you and your group, and these were pleasantly interesting to listen to. I found myself scouring every area to make sure I didn't miss one because they always left me wanting to know what happened next.

The variety of enemies is good and some well thought out variations require some thought before you tackle them. For example if you find a banshee (who's screams making you have to cover your ears - a great touch as Kinect recognises this) you will be vulnerable to non-banshee enemies who will attack you undeterred by the screaming while you are still covering your ears. Other enemies who use some kind of projectile vomit can cover a lot of your screen with green-stuff, a good tactic is to try and lure an enemy between you and your ranged foe and wait your moment.

When I got this game I brought the Kinect up from the family room (unlike most Kinect titles this is NOT a family game). However I originally found the game unresponsive even after tweaking with the Kinect calibration and trying to exaggerate my movements. Then I came to a realisation... I was wearing black Jeans while using Kinect on a dark blue carpet (as opposed to the shiny wooden flooring of the family room). I quickly swapped into a pair of cream shorts which, to my immense satisfaction, solved the problem entirely - they are now my dedicated Rise Of Nightmares shorts :)

Over all I think this game is a very promising start to full-on Kinect games, apart from having some bad points such as the inability to look up and down, I would say this game is a definite buy for anyone who wants to see how Kinect can handle a full game rather than only mini-games. It certainly surprised me with how well it copes. It is exciting to think that developers are still fiddling with Kinect and hence future games should improve quite a lot further from this. The one thing this game requires is patience and for you to try and immerse yourself in the game and it's controls. Also, never forget the golden rule of Kinect - close the curtains (or someone might see you)

4.0 out of 5 stars Best Kinect title I've seen so far, 15 April 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I'm not going to go into too much detail about the controls, gameplay and such because other people have already covered that in detail and said all that needs to be said.

I confess I bought this game because it was cheap and I was curious to see how well the Kinect controls were implemented, and I have to say I have been pleasantly surprised. I work in the video games industry and have worked on a number of Kinect enabled titles and have a professional interest as well as a personal interest as a gamer, and this is by far the best implementation of the Kinect I've seen to date - it may be partially down to the fact that the game was made specifically for the Kinect, but that's not all of it, as other titles (such as the launch title "Kinect Adventures") are not nearly as slick as this.

It has to be said that there are still some rough edges, such as turning which can be a little tricky at times, but for the most part for a title released so soon after the Kinect I think they've done a very admirable job and it bodes well for the future of the Kinect.

If you have a Kinect and you've not had much use out of it or you haven't been all that impressed with it, have a crack at this. It can also be a used as a fairly relaxed workout too - after 90 minutes or so of playing I actually worked up a bit of a sweat, especially from the combat.

Oh, one final thing about the game itself, because it's not explained very well - when you have to run in the game, you actually have to run on the spot. I mention this specifically because I got stuck very early in the game because the controls state to change movement speed by extending your foot, which is true for walking but for running you have to really go for it and run on the spot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Rise of Nightmares, 14 Dec 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Hard to do when you first start too play but great fun once you know what you are doing. Makes me jump but then again i am a woosey lol :)

1.0 out of 5 stars Kinect Incompatible, 10 Sep 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
If like me you were looking for more reasons to justify your frivalous purchase of a Kinect then this game was a shining beacon of hope amongst a rather lacklustre library of Kinect titles. An entire game rather than a group of minigames bundled together. With adult themes rather than cute creatures bouncing around with their nauseating saccharine spirit. The trailers made it look edgy, but graphically a bit dubious. If you need a game to sate your Kinect fix then please buy Child of Eden. One level of that contains more craft, intelligence and invention than this.

If you buy this game this is what to expect:-
1. Disastrous controls. Even the most basic task is a strain to achieve. Put one leg in front of the other to walk. Never works first time. In the first level I was told to run. I've had quite a bit of practice running over the last 30-odd years so fairly sure I know how to run. This game made me look as if I'd had more hip replacements than the Queen Mother (RIP). Running in Rise of Nightmares is like no type of running you will ever have experienced before. Unless your knees have never been able to bend. It took me about 20 attempts to be able to run properly. I'm not an imbecile.
2. Perhaps Sega realised that the controls were a tiny bit rubbish, so they kindly allow you to skip through some activities. This is achieved by using the 'auto' facility. Have you ever really wanted to recreate your primary school days of repeatedly sticking your arm up to answer a question? I'd hazard a guess that it's a bit of a niche market. Needless to say, to use the auto facility you must often raise you arm for minutes at a time. This is not only needlessly tiring but hugely tiresome.
3. Bosses are rubbish. Offer very little challenge and can be defeated with the following tactic. Waggle your arms in front of you to hurt them and then when prompted by the on-screen instructions, sidestep.
4. Pretty much every enemy in the game is easily defeated by the following strategy. Imagine you are epilectic and are put into a rave. Turn on the neon lights. I hope to God that none of my neighbours saw me playing this game as I looked like an utterly disfunctional homo sapien.
5. Oh look, let's add some much-needed replay value to the game by sticking in a bunch of collectables. Hmmmm, not getting massively bored of that in games.
6. It's just not very scary. Dull, repetitive and if you've ever played a computer game before, it's as formulaic as they come. You can pretty much predict where enemies are going to come from, which spoils the surprise. It's just all rather insipid.
7. Ever wanted to be a can-can girl, I know I have? Well, with this game you can-can (sorry). Kick out at an enemy and you too will look like Nicole Kidman in Moulin Rouge. Made me laugh every time I did it. Does slightly take the sheen off of the 'scary' atmosphere.

I can only presume that the front cover is a picture of the developers trying to stop word of mouth. I can't give this game any more than 1 out of 5 because the most basic requirement, a decent control system is utterly redundant. Perhaps a patch may come out to improve things, but it's just not good enough for those who pay a premium to be release day purchasers. It's always easy to pick out the negatives in a game and I seem to be making a habit of reviewing tripe. Problem is it feels so good to get dirge like this out of your system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rise of Nightmares, 28 Feb 2013
Alun Brown (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Best Zombie Horror Game ever played! Cool weapons especailly the Axoth that shoots power bolts and makes the zombies explode, creep boobie traps and and great storyline too!

5.0 out of 5 stars hubby loved it., 22 Feb 2013
correct game, arrived on time, plays well and does the job. was really pleased with the price also as i had been in many shop looking for this item.

5.0 out of 5 stars Knackering, 11 Feb 2013
Good game, takes a while to get used to the controls, as with most kinect games. Great fun, get sucked in, it's like a work out fighting zombies....

5.0 out of 5 stars At last something worth owning a Kinect for, 13 Dec 2011
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
When I jumped on the Kinect bandwagon from the word go I was disappointed with the lack of games (and still am). Rise of Nightmares however is the closest thing to what I had in mind when I got the Kinect. I love on rail zombie games like House of The Dead and the fact you can control each slash, each whack and every step in the game is great fun. It might not be the greatest game ever but it's fun and unique (control wise) to make it an essential buy. Admittedly the story is weak, and the cut scenes are shocking but that's part of the charm of games like this. If you love House of the Dead you'll love this.

ARRAY(0xa8094f84)

Rise of Nightmares - Kinect Compatible (Xbox 360)
8.99