Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 August 2011
I'm new to Joshua Radin. However, having bought 'Simple Times' and having loved it so much, I quickly got his other two albums 'We Were Here' and 'The Rock and the Tide'. I can tell you having heard all three, his first album 'We Were Here' is the most special. With each following album, his sound becomes more mainstream and uninteresting. I've not reviewed the other two yet, but I would probably give 5 stars, 4 and 3 in the order of his releases. Will the next one be a two? Who knows, but it seems the forces of fame and publicity have had a serious impact on his work. A big shame and I'm not sure such influences in life can be undone. Still, we're gifted with his first two albums which now I would not want to be without.
on 19 November 2010
From the many 'fan' reviews i've read, a lot of them seem to be saying the same thing, that this isn't what they want to hear from Joshua Radin and then a reference back to 'We Were Here' is made. If Joshua Radin wanted to make another 'We Were Here' he could, but really what's the point, track 11 from 'The Rock & the Tide', 'one leap' is straight from his first album but for me it's the other 11 tracks that make this EP worthwhile as he is heading in the right direction musically.

The sheer fact that the album is played 'live' is wonderful, many of the songs ('here we go', 'you got what i need', 'nowhere to go', 'think i'll go inside', 'you're not as young')'fans' have been hearing and loving on tour for well over a year and the 3 best tracks on the album ('road to ride on', 'the rock and the tide' and 'wanted')are Joshua radin at his ultimate best. The only disappointment really is 'nowhere to go' as the demo version is much better than the final production you hear on the album. For me, each new album in an artists career should show musical growth rather than just duplicate the success of the previous (just take a look/listen at manufactured pop)

'We Were Here' was a wonderful debut, 'Simple Times' was all about the music coming first and 'The Rock and the Tide' is Joshua Radin maturing as an artist. If you want to 'review' Joshua Radin, go see him live, and then you'll understand what makes him so good. Making a fourth album though, will prove if he can do what John Mayer couldn't.
on 26 February 2011
A lot of people have said that they think this album is a big change from Joshua's two earlier albums, but I don't think this is necessarily the case. Yes, some of the tracks are 'louder' than a lot of the softer more melancholic tracks on We Were Here, but the overall quality is pretty similar.

Joshua has a very distinctive voice, and it is very much in evidence again here. If you liked (or even loved) We Were Here and Simple Times, you ought to love this too. Don't expect it to be just more of the same - of course he has matured and developed as a singer.

Tracks that I think stand out are 'The Ones With The Light', 'Streetlight' (which is pretty reminiscent of some of his earlier work), and 'We Are Getting Better'. In fact, there are no real failures here at all. Almost all the songs are strong and memorable, as well as being just as catchy as old favourites like 'Brand New Day' (which is reprised here) and 'One Of Those Days'.

Highly recommended!
on 8 August 2011
Great album, in a newer direction than his previous but still refreshing to hear a naturally talented singer/songwriter. Already played twice, definately going on my playlist for my car. Keep up the great work Josh, thanks for the records and inspiration.
on 7 August 2011
What a great album! Accidental discovery on Amazon, such a pleasure to listen to on the tube journey to and back from work - Keeps me relaxed on the commute in, and chills me out on the way home. Listened to it on constant rotation for the first week.
on 23 August 2011
I bought this to take on holiday and loved it! All the songs are good, great album can't believe I almost missed it!
on 23 November 2013
it's not Joshua Radins best album nor his worst either he his a very understated male singer of this century
on 16 December 2010
Same Joshua, different style.
Previous cd's had more of an acoustic feel to them, "the rock and the tide" has a more upbeat tone. I'm so pleased with it, it's great that J.R can go so many different directions and still be awesome!
on 19 September 2011
I first found Radin after hearing 'Closer' on scrubs. Took me a while to hear more tracks but fell in love with 'we were here' and then 'Simple Times'. I was therefore excited to listen to his 3rd album. I have to say ' The rock and the tide' is brilliant and also different from the previous. It is refreshing just to see how versatile this amazing artist is with alot more upbeat tempo and diverse tracks. I adore every track, however, 'Streetlight' is addictive and 'l missed you played on full blast in the car is uplifting, my 3 nieces became instant fans and a jig was added the track makes you happy. My other favourites include track 1, 4, 6,7, 8 oh all of them. I saw him live last year in london and seeing him again next month the man is a legend so listen and love you wont regret it.
on 20 September 2015