5.0 out of 5 stars The music growth continues...
Published on 19 Nov. 2010 by J. Munn

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Average
Published on 29 Aug. 2011 by R. Wigginton

5.0 out of 5 stars The music growth continues..., 19 Nov. 2010
J. Munn - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
From the many 'fan' reviews i've read, a lot of them seem to be saying the same thing, that this isn't what they want to hear from Joshua Radin and then a reference back to 'We Were Here' is made. If Joshua Radin wanted to make another 'We Were Here' he could, but really what's the point, track 11 from 'The Rock & the Tide', 'one leap' is straight from his first album but for me it's the other 11 tracks that make this EP worthwhile as he is heading in the right direction musically.

The sheer fact that the album is played 'live' is wonderful, many of the songs ('here we go', 'you got what i need', 'nowhere to go', 'think i'll go inside', 'you're not as young')'fans' have been hearing and loving on tour for well over a year and the 3 best tracks on the album ('road to ride on', 'the rock and the tide' and 'wanted')are Joshua radin at his ultimate best. The only disappointment really is 'nowhere to go' as the demo version is much better than the final production you hear on the album. For me, each new album in an artists career should show musical growth rather than just duplicate the success of the previous (just take a look/listen at manufactured pop)

'We Were Here' was a wonderful debut, 'Simple Times' was all about the music coming first and 'The Rock and the Tide' is Joshua Radin maturing as an artist. If you want to 'review' Joshua Radin, go see him live, and then you'll understand what makes him so good. Making a fourth album though, will prove if he can do what John Mayer couldn't.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good if not better, 26 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
A lot of people have said that they think this album is a big change from Joshua's two earlier albums, but I don't think this is necessarily the case. Yes, some of the tracks are 'louder' than a lot of the softer more melancholic tracks on We Were Here, but the overall quality is pretty similar.

Joshua has a very distinctive voice, and it is very much in evidence again here. If you liked (or even loved) We Were Here and Simple Times, you ought to love this too. Don't expect it to be just more of the same - of course he has matured and developed as a singer.

Tracks that I think stand out are 'The Ones With The Light', 'Streetlight' (which is pretty reminiscent of some of his earlier work), and 'We Are Getting Better'. In fact, there are no real failures here at all. Almost all the songs are strong and memorable, as well as being just as catchy as old favourites like 'Brand New Day' (which is reprised here) and 'One Of Those Days'.

Highly recommended!

4.0 out of 5 stars Same same - but different, 16 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
Same Joshua, different style.
Previous cd's had more of an acoustic feel to them, "the rock and the tide" has a more upbeat tone. I'm so pleased with it, it's great that J.R can go so many different directions and still be awesome!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Average, 29 Aug. 2011
R. Wigginton (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
I'm new to Joshua Radin. However, having bought 'Simple Times' and having loved it so much, I quickly got his other two albums 'We Were Here' and 'The Rock and the Tide'. I can tell you having heard all three, his first album 'We Were Here' is the most special. With each following album, his sound becomes more mainstream and uninteresting. I've not reviewed the other two yet, but I would probably give 5 stars, 4 and 3 in the order of his releases. Will the next one be a two? Who knows, but it seems the forces of fame and publicity have had a serious impact on his work. A big shame and I'm not sure such influences in life can be undone. Still, we're gifted with his first two albums which now I would not want to be without.

4.0 out of 5 stars it isn't bad at all, 23 Nov. 2013
Darren TOBIN (Hilton Derbyshire) - See all my reviews
it's not Joshua Radins best album nor his worst either he his a very understated male singer of this century

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW, 23 Aug. 2011
I bought this to take on holiday and loved it! All the songs are good, great album can't believe I almost missed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy peasy listening, 7 Aug. 2011
G. Palmer "gorpalm" (London) - See all my reviews
What a great album! Accidental discovery on Amazon, such a pleasure to listen to on the tube journey to and back from work - Keeps me relaxed on the commute in, and chills me out on the way home. Listened to it on constant rotation for the first week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid as a "Rock"!!, 8 Aug. 2011
bradleyofthenorth (Cheshire, England, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
Great album, in a newer direction than his previous but still refreshing to hear a naturally talented singer/songwriter. Already played twice, definately going on my playlist for my car. Keep up the great work Josh, thanks for the records and inspiration.

3.0 out of 5 stars A drop in quality., 26 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
Joshua Radin has provided some quality folksy pop with his last albums and sadly the quality has dropped with this one. I have found with previous albums that he produces the kind of songs which you want to listen to over and over again and they stay with your for a long time, this is sadly not the case with this album. With this one you are happy to listen to it a few time then put it away and forget about it. I cannot think of one stand out song and sadly the entire presentation is exceptionally mediocre and forgettable. A great shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Joshua Radin does it again, 19 Sept. 2011
This review is from: The Rock & The Tide (Audio CD)
I first found Radin after hearing 'Closer' on scrubs. Took me a while to hear more tracks but fell in love with 'we were here' and then 'Simple Times'. I was therefore excited to listen to his 3rd album. I have to say ' The rock and the tide' is brilliant and also different from the previous. It is refreshing just to see how versatile this amazing artist is with alot more upbeat tempo and diverse tracks. I adore every track, however, 'Streetlight' is addictive and 'l missed you played on full blast in the car is uplifting, my 3 nieces became instant fans and a jig was added the track makes you happy. My other favourites include track 1, 4, 6,7, 8 oh all of them. I saw him live last year in london and seeing him again next month the man is a legend so listen and love you wont regret it.

The Rock & The Tide
The Rock & The Tide by Joshua Radin (Audio CD - 2011)