on 8 February 2011
This is a great product I would not like to be without.

It is great with the multiple sockets needed behind a computer with all it's add ons. One click and the lot is off.

I have used these for years and had a problem which persists. After some time one will fail to switch. It clicks when the remote is pressed but nothing happens. I have reprogramed them but find once it has done that the unit is broken. It did it twice with the old version losing two. I have now bought two new types to find one of these has done the same after a short time. The problem with the design still persists. I have now sent for two more, I hope I have better luck.

I wrote to the supply company about this but they did not reply.

NKS
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 6 June 2011
I've had several of the old version of these fellows for years without any problems at all but needed another for some new equipment.
I hunted them out, found they had this new model version and bought one.
It lasted about 4 days and now cannot be reprogrammed. It remains switchable only via the "All On" or "All Off" but the individual buttons have no effect.
Rather disappointing.
on 26 January 2011
I've used Bye-Bye Standby kits for several years and found them invaluable all over the house. They make it so easy to avoid leaving things on standby but also mean you can turn TV, radio and lamps etc on and off from one spot. The new design will certainly make it easier to replace the battery and the sockets are simpler to set up. The only downside is that you can't use them with a surgemaster unless it has all the sockets in a single row as the new design extends too far out.
on 17 July 2011
If you are starting from scratch, these are great and work well.

Unfortunately, I bought this to replace an old style Bye Bye Standby remote that had died. Only to discover that the new remotes don't work with the old sockets (although to be fair the old remotes do work with the new sockets). So I ended up with more unneeded expense to buy and additional 2 sockets.
on 10 December 2013
It says on the web site that it is "Fully compatible with the Bye Bye Standby Classic range" but it doesnt mean their old range. I have quite a few of the old ones which are very useful and I can control with a standards based home automation system. But on the positive side, its inexpensive and I can reuse the battery, although its a pity they are not recycle-able I cant put them directly in the bin..

The other reviews said the same, My bad I should have read them rather than miss-understand the advert. Maybe ebay has some old ones?
on 28 September 2011
Received 3 standby plugs, the remote controller and wall switch. Wall switch battery was not only flat but starting to 'sweat' when it arrived. Once all set up worked well, but instructions are pretty hopeless so needs some trial and error in figuring out how to connect a wall switch with only manually selectable id codes to standby plugs which only automatically select their codes and have no manual setting.

One standby plug failed within 3 days of very light use, stays switched on regardless if you press the off button on the remote, on the plug or even remove the plug from the mains and plug in again its still switched on - I now have some doubts about relying on the standby plugs turning things off at night or when I go out (there appears a problem with the plugs described on the Bye Bye standby forum, wish I had looked in advance).

Other than the fundemantal reliablity issues, the range of the devices is good and funtionality is ideal - they just need to be much more reliable before I would recommend them.

Bye Bye Standby Energy Saving Kit
Bye Bye Standby Energy Saving Wall Switch
on 13 December 2013
I already have Bye Bye kits for my computer and television set ups. They are easy to set up and work well. I gave one as a Christmas present and it was much appreciated. (He was into saving electricity!)
on 10 December 2011
I bought the older version of this system a while ago, when assigning a number to a socket was a simple matter of setting a dial on each one. These worked very well, and I wanted some more sockets to expand the system, but had to buy these newer versions. The newer design uses a "soft" pairing, where you set the socket to a binding mode then select the number assignment on the remote. This works for a while, then the sockets stop working. You can hear them clicking, so the binding must still be there, but they don't switch. They've been driving me nuts, so I'm going to bin them and try the German unpronouncible version.
on 26 September 2011
Purchased this as i have an electric moped that needs charging up in the garage each day. However to charge only takes a few hours and rather than having to go back out to the garage each night to turn the charger off, i now use this. The charger could stay on all night but i find this still draws a bit of power so i use this to save a bit each day.
on 21 April 2013
IT DOES WHAT IT SHOULD DO, WITH NO COMPLICATIONS.
IT IS DESIGNED TO SWITCH ON AND OFF ELECTRICAL DEVICES (tvs, Computers etc.) REMOTELY AND HENCE AVOID THE COSTS OF STANDBYE ELECTRICAL CONSUMPTION