5.0 out of 5 stars Leicester Bangs Review (2011):
Blancmange - Blanc Burn (Proper)
Published on 7 Mar 2011 by Leicester Bangs

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not a classic
I was a fan of Blacmange back in their 80s heyday and particularly loved their first two albums.I bought the remasters a few years ago with all the extras and really enjoyed 'rediscovering' just how good much of their early material was.Once I'd heard that a new album was due more than twenty five years since their last I just had to buy it.

Well after a first...
Published on 11 Mar 2011 by Mr Synthpop

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Leicester Bangs Review (2011):, 7 Mar 2011
Leicester Bangs "words-R-us" (Leicester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
Blancmange - Blanc Burn (Proper)
Missing-in-action for twenty-five-odd years, Neil Arthur and Stephen Luscombe (Blancmange) return with an album that sounds remarkably like classic Blancmange. Arthur's Lancastrian brogue remains central to their anomalous electronic pop style, and brings both an earthy realism and an indisputable identity to the proceedings. He's also brought some excellent songs with him. Both "The Western" and "By The Bus Stop @ Woolies" wouldn't have sounded out of place on 1982's "Happy Families" collection and "I'm Having A Coffee" is as wonderfully mundane as the title suggests; as is "Don't Forget Your Teeth".

When it looks as if they're going to get all popstar and celebrity girlfriend on our behinds, it's marginally disappointing to discover that the uncharacteristically titled "Stardiddler" (title changed to save Amazon's blushes) isn't even remotely connected to the Rolling Stones' "Star Star". Apart from that minor frustration, it's all good.

4.0 out of 5 stars In the pink, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
After several listens to Blancmange's new album (loving the artwork by the way) it's grown on me, and the mixture of their original style and some contemporary influences (Hot Chip for example) seems to work well. The final track was somewhat jarring but the rest - particularly the pulsing 'The Western' and pleasingly quirky 'I'm Having a Coffee' are all good stuff. Seeing them perform live just after listening to the album for the first time helped massively, and it's been like greeting an old friend after a long absence; one who has certainly changed but is still instantly recognisable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't stop playing it :), 13 Mar 2011
Mr. Nigel Coles "Daniel" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
Been waiting for this for some months now with great anticipation, and boy was it worth it.
A mixture of tunes showing a modern twist and sounds from their past.
I've heard that they are also working on some extended remixes on tracks from the album.
Very northern, very synthy and very Blancmange. Welcome back boys i love your new album :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not a classic, 11 Mar 2011
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)

Well after a first listen what did I think? Okay springs to mind but that's about it. I always thought Blancmage's best tracks were the more upbeat and rhythmic ones. When I'd read that old cohort Pandit Dinesh was on board too all looked promising.I just don't think they play to their strengths enough on this album.There are some okay tracks such as The Western, I'm Having A Coffee and Don't Let These Days. However if I was looking for a single from the album I would be struggling. There's certainly nothing of the standard of Feel Me,Living On The Ceiling,Blind Vision or Don't Tell Me. I'm glad to see that Neil's humour still shines through though.

I don't want to put people off buying this album. It's good to see the likes of Blancmange recording new material and we should support them. Perhaps the album will grow on me the more I hear it.Let's hope this is the first of many new releases from Neil and Stephen.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is no 'revival album', but a contemporary effort worth 5 stars, 29 Mar 2011
Bruce Percy - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
I can't stop listening to this album.

This doesn't disappoint. It strikes a fantastic balance between contemporary music production and what we've always liked about Neil and Stephen's music.

In some ways, it feels like this is just a continuation... a natural step for them. But at the same time, sounds very current, fresh, like they were always here, always up to date.

I'm very impressed with this album.

I dare you to buy it and not like it. It's a very pleasant surprise and make me realise that they are not only up to date, but a strong musical force, and not to be confused with some 80's act trying to cash in.

This is a very worthy effort.

5.0 out of 5 stars Blanc are back, 25 Mar 2011
R. Nicklin (Sheffield, England) - See all my reviews
Excellent comeback CD.

Really different from any of their previous stuff - Indian influence still there, which is a good thing.

Enjoying this a lot - go and buy a copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun fun fun and then some., 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
I was dubious at the start and the couple of pop songs threw me off a bit but this is really a cracking good album. So much fun. It is weird and wonderful, bizarre and intriguing. Solid. What a voice. And what a live band too. This album keeps on giving, but I’m not quite sure what, but but I keep coming back for more, repeat to fade. But but but. Encore. Blancmange are quality, nuff said, now open your ears but but.

3.0 out of 5 stars Blancmange slightly off, 22 Aug 2012
R. King "raking" (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
Being a big big fan of Blancmange in the past I really was overjoyed to see they had released this new album but unfortunately it is nothing like them of old, apart from one track. The rest are a mix of fun tracks and very very average tracks. Was really hoping to hear the Blancmange sound I loved and sadly it is no more. Big let down and not one that will be played very often.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad they're back, 8 May 2012
J. G. Herdes "Jeroen" (Amsterdam) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
Just glad they're back. No dept information or analysing the songs.Blanc Mange is not the kind of band for that. Just having fun in doing what they do...and be good at it. Don't take my review too serious, I just like the band very much and got all the old 12" Vinyl aswell as the albums on vinyl and CD ( twice on CD because it got reissued ). Something YOU could afford too. They only have like 4 official albums and about 3 best off collections.
Anyway what I'm trying to say is that when you like this, you'll like all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Welcome Return, 27 Aug 2011
P. Cheetham (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Blanc Burn (Audio CD)
Pleasantly suprised! I'm really enjoying this album and finding it familiar yet fresh: like catching up with a really good friend. So far, favourites are Ultraviolent and The Western; also like the Kraftwerk-sounding Radio Therapy. Well done Blancmange!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xb61c9a08)

Blanc Burn
Blanc Burn by Blancmange (Audio CD - 2011)